Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Penshaw Bike Festival Mini DH – 14th April
  • jock-muttley

If you good folks are looking for something to do in the North East on the 14th of April then have a look at this 😛

It’s essentially a ‘social’ race to celebrate the fact that the National Trust have let us build a permanent freeride track up there. Big selling point is that the National Trust are going to let us start on the monument itself and then drop in to the course in the woods.

Course is reputably fast, flowy and fun and a well dialled hardtail should manage it as it’s not too gnarly. So if you have never had a shot at Downhill and fancy your chances then here is your opportunity.

Entry details here at the British Cycling Website or as per the pic.

user-removed
    Free Member

Is that your bike shop in Shiney JM? Haven’t been in yet, but I pass it every day.

I’m astounded that the local council have allowed this (and delighted). I’ve been run off Penshaw Hill more than once and chased off by some very angry workies. Very, very unfriendly towards bikes, especially in the woods behind the monument…

user-removed
    Free Member

Sharkattack shredding the gnarr at Penshaw in 2009…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

wow, this looks great! i remember riding off the hill down through the woods in the early 90s, it was fun then but a proper course? i may have to return home for this (parents still live in houghton)…

user-removed
    Free Member

I’ll turn up with the camera!

jock-muttley

Is that your bike shop in Shiney JM? Haven’t been in yet, but I pass it every day.

Yes tis my new place of gainful employment :mrgreen: worth a visit

I’m astounded that the local council have allowed this (and delighted). I’ve been run off Penshaw Hill more than once and chased off by some very angry workies. Very, very unfriendly towards bikes, especially in the woods behind the monument…

It’s National Trust land and it’s taken a lot of hard work by Ian at Sanctuary to get permissions etc. details will follow but best chance to see what’s been done is to turn up on the day, even better to enter.

user-removed
    Free Member

I have seen a fair bit of chainsaw action in the woods whilst dog walking recently – good to know what’s going on, thanks. And I will definitely visit Sanctuary with cake in the near future.

Ironic that the ‘NO CYCLING’ signs are still in place at the bottom of Penshaw.

user-removed
    Free Member

Oh, and if you guys need an ‘official’ photographer for the day, and images for marketing purposes, I am most definitely your man 🙂

jock-muttley

You can negotiate that one yourself with Ian himself ..lol

user-removed
    Free Member

Fair dos – I’ll drop in. To the shop – not the course. I can just about drop in off kerbs.

jock-muttley

bump :mrgreen:

sharkattack

Just got back from this. Job well done by all involved I think. I was in absolute disbelief when I found out there was going to be a DH race at Penshaw monument but the trails are fun and it made for a good race. Even the weather played ball.

Lots of pics transferring as we speak…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Penshaw Bike Festival Mini DH – 14th April’ is closed to new replies.