Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Penmachno: is it overgrown?
  • filks

Anyone been there recently? Will be there in a couple of weeks and am getting excited – but last time I rode there in August the trail was somewhat overgrown – especially the Dolen Eryri. I suspect as it’s been out of action for a bit it’s been growing….

leegee

I’m sure I saw a FB post about trails being strimmed there recently

filks

Oooooh – brilliant!
    Thanks

Stiggy

Was there the day before yesterday, someone had been striimmimg for sure so no problem with the vegetation… and it was its usual soaking wet self👍

beaker

The coldest and wettest I’ve been on a bike was at Penmachno. That was in June….

filks

Riding along a trail that’s essentially the bed of a stream is part of the charm 😁

Northwind

I do a bit of trailbuilding, and I get to work with some extremely talented builders. But absolutely none of them could build a trail the penmachno way, so that it stays wet even when the ground behind it is bone dry and there’s forest fires. It is magnificent.

Need to get back there, such a great trail

Marin
    Free Member

Great trail and as stated above on FB the strimmers have been out. Pop your money in the box😁

filks

Always do pay for my ride. So grateful to the team that maintain the trail – as above, I’ve got a lot of love for Penmachno. Any sun at all and it’s stunning

Spud

I’ve not been on the mtb on trails for a couple of years, but Penmachno is my favourite, such a different feel from the rest – usually wet….

mattvanders
    Free Member

Going to pop there this afternoon so will comfirm what it’s like. Has been raining a bit this week locally so hopefully not too wet

mattvanders
    Free Member

Right then, got back to digs are a bit of an interesting ride. There are a number of trails that are closed due to forestry works (mostly on the purple – Fedw deg, hanner a hanner, red – man a man a mwncl). As for brushes, all the trails were passable but there was a fare amount of spikey brush in places eating away at your legs and arms. With the number of diversions in place and the general non flowing trails I would say head to the Marin trail (which I did the day before hand) which would be a better day out.

filks

Thanks for the update! The joy of visiting the area is that I will be riding both trails anyway – it’s just that I did have one ride on Penmachno where it was so overgrown I couldn’t see my front wheel or where the trail was heading. Scary and fun!

Marin
    Free Member

Marin is a great trail as well. Scary and fun is what it’s all about isn’t it?😁

Jerome
    Free Member

Quick bump as rode this trail on Saturday . Super impressed . I was not fit enough to really do it justice , but will be back fitter and stronger . Well done to the team behind this and donation gratefully made .

Gunz
    Free Member

Jerome, we’re heading up next week are parts of the trail still closed as mentioned above.

Jerome
    Free Member

Yep there is a bit closed, but did not bother me . I did the red and rode maybe 2hours 30 . I meant to do the upper purple loop but must have missed the signs , or now I think of it maybe that bit was closed also . Not sure . Worth a ride though , abs close enough if you are super keen to do Marin also ..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Penmachno: is it overgrown?’ is closed to new replies.