Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Penmachno From Betws y Coed
  • sparkerfix

Shall be stopping in Betws y Coed  between Christmas and new year and was wondering if it’s possible to get at the Penmachno trail off the A470 by bike. Will have to ride there from Betws y coed, fancy having a go but didn’t fancy riding along the A5 too far to get at the trail head.  Don’t mind joining part way round if it’s a easier from Betws. Ta in advance.

skaifan
    Free Member

You’ll only be on the A470 and the A5 for a mile or two. Think you can B road it but it won’t be direct. Depends how happy you are riding those roads in the scuba gear you’ll need at Penamchno.

Marin
    Free Member

Once your turn off at Conwy Falls cafe it’s a quiet road and not too far. Have fun it’s a great trail unless your made of sugar then you may melt. Would be interested if there is a back way in, local local may know.

w00dster

Its not far, I do it quite a lot on my road bike, not the trail, I just ride past the car park. Anyway, A5 up towards the cafe, its a good climb on a road bike, not steep, but its busy. Turn right at the cafe (Falls Cafe I think). Then follow the road down, just a handful of miles.
    Not sure if it helps but you can get on to the Marin Trail directly at Betws-y-Coed.

martinhutch

+1 Marin is now called Gwydir Forest, easier access if you’re just after a quick blast.

sparkerfix

Cheers Guys. Have done Gwydir a few times but never Penmachno. Looking at Satellite view there’s a road in off the 460 before  Glan Lledr Holiday Cottage. Just wondered if I could get at it from there.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Looked into this myself before but never needed to do it-looks simple enough,fireroad up just off A470 to pick up most Northerly part of Penmachno top loop…….
    To Penmachno

scruff
    Free Member

Looks drier from space…

sparkerfix

Shall have a look. Guess there will be some tyre tracks, unless they’ve been washed away!!! Thanks.

martinhutch

If you get lost, listen out for the sound of running water – that will be the trail.

tillydog
    Free Member

Head up the small road that crosses behind the Cotswold outlet shop at the South end of B-Y-C (past the Vagabond Bunkhouse). This is a pleasant ride that follows the river on very quiet roads (also a cycle route of some sort). It brings you out onto the A470 after it makes a dog-leg under the railway. There’s a cycle path of sorts along the A470. This will take you to the bridge you’ve seen after about 500m.

I haven’t ridden up to Penmachno from there myself, but know people who have – They report that it becomes very disorientating in the forest – there is a maze of fire roads, some of which appear to be going in the correct direction, but end up in dead ends. Their advice was to plan a route using google earth / Strava, etc. It’s pretty steep from what I understand, and retracing your path gets tiresome quite quickly.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Penmachno From Betws y Coed’ is closed to new replies.