Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Peebles this weekend – worth it or not?
  • Gooner
    Free Member

due to travel (from Leeds) to Peebles this Thursday for a long weekend in a little cottage just north of the town centre.
    Is worth it or will the roads make it unwise.

Inners uplift has already been cancelled and I guess there will be snow at GT so probably not worth taking a bike.

Is the weather/road conditions going to improve or should we call it a day and have a long weekend at home?

Thanks

richmtb

Depends how much you like riding in the snow!

7 Stanes blog

8-10 inches (thats forest ranger inches not city slicker inches) at the trail head, more higher up.

I would say give it a miss or try Mabie / Dalbeattie

hora
    Free Member

I’ve ridden Glentress a couple of times at this time of year- the last time there was hardened snow down with little runs of water/ice across the trails under tree-cover.

It really wasn’t fun in the slightest. Out in the Peaks- Yep its fun but where countless people have been over the last few days then iced over with possible light snow ontop? Nope.

Gooner
    Free Member

point is we are already booked and paid for Peebles. So is it worth the trip in this weather for a weekend away.

It appears that biking is a non starter but walking with dog etc might be worthwhile?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Roads will be passable with care and it’s a bit of a no brainer if you’ve already paid for the place.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I’d still bring your bike. I have been to GT a couple of times in teh snow and enjoyed it – even if it did mean a lot of pushing uphill. Just for the entertainment value of the descents.

Having said that I would be dubious about coming up for the weekend unless you are really keen to get away for the weekend. Potentially a lot of slow difficult driving – depends on what happens with teh weather between now and then but more snow is forecast

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Get a sledge.

Tracey

We went up from Barnsley over the new year. Rang the ranger the day before and he advised that the trails were unridable, so we took the sledges insted

The road back over the top to Moffat was a bit iffy in places

http://kevinlawton6103.fotopic.net/c1799481.html

Tracey

br
    Free Member

My folks live further east (nearer Melrose) and from speaking with them last night, I wouldn’t bother unless there is a thaw.

hels
    Free Member

Always worth it !

Went for a brilliant walk today up around Venlaw. Snow 8-10 ranger inches sounds about right. Ended up coming back along Zoom or Bust, looked ridable to me but thats untested, if I can’t get up the road to work tmrw I’m heading out on the bike. Def bring walking boots there are loads of good walks, then finish with late lunch/early tea at the Tontine can’t go wrong.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I don’t mean to hijack, but I have just had a look at that blog. You don’t want to be slipping on McMoab ay??!!

Macavity
    Free Member

Slips and falls may break your bones but, theres only so much that Borders General Hospital can cope with.

Gooner
    Free Member

we have cancelled – probably wouldn’t get of Leeds at the moment!

The good news is they have let have an alternative weekend at no extra cost sio it will be Neidpath Castle cottage and inners in March 2011

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Peebles this weekend – worth it or not?’ is closed to new replies.