• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by joat.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pedals – The Next Big Innovation (Probably)
  • wombat

During a very muddy and slidey ride with a mate yesterday I hit upon a brilliant idea.

Both of us were riding with flat pedals, I had superstar nanos and my mate had V12s and both were wearing  5-10 shoes of one sort or another.  Grip between shoe and pedal was excellent but every time we put our feet down we’d slide around like Bambi on ice.

My brilliant idea is to have 5-10 rubber covered pedals and spiky shoes. These would grip to both the pedals and the muddy ground.

Why has nobody done this?

Would it work?

kimbers

Both of us were riding with flat pedals

Yeah that’s where you are going wrong

Onzadog
    Free Member

Pretty sure it’s been done.

tjagain

my shimano spd winter boots have football boot studs in the soles

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

April foooooools

martymac

Wouldn’t it be easier to have the studs in the ground and the ice on your feet? Would mean we don’t have to throw away some perfectly good pedals at least.

wombat

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>Premier Iconmartymac
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Wouldn’t it be easier to have the studs in the ground and the ice on your feet? Would mean we don’t have to throw away some perfectly good pedals at least.

Now that is a brilliant idea

</div>

greyspoke
    Free Member

I think you’re on to something there.  Once you had settled on your shoe design, you could design the pedal so it fitted exactly to the pattern of studs and so on on your shoe.  Maybe you could put special hook-like features on the studs so they meshed with the pedal shape to give better grip.

hols2
    Free Member

Why has nobody done this?

Coffee shop managers complain if you walk around on their nice polished floors in spiky shoes.

funkmasterp

Velcro pedal / shoe interface!

vincienup
    Free Member

Assuming it’s not an April Fool windup, yep – spiky soles shoes only work well on soft ground. As soon as you’re on a hard surface you’re damaging both the shoe and the surface as well as having suddenly lost the grip you set out to gain.

IMO the ultimate solution would be a pair of light but strong hiking boots along the general lines of my favourite old Scarpa Baltoro but with a patch of dotty 5/10 stealth between the toe and instep. Weight would be the biggest problem I think.

andrewh
    Free Member

Running spikes and toe-straps?

joat

What are you putting your foot down for? Practise some balancing skills!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pedals – The Next Big Innovation (Probably)’ is closed to new replies.