Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Pedal recommendations
  • superstu
    Free Member

After some new flats to replace some very old superstar nanos. These are noticeably less grippy than the newer nanos I have on another bike.

What are the new generation of composites like (burgtec for example)? Anything I’m missing? Not averse to spending more but £100+ on something that gets abused would need some justification.

Anything better than nanos?

peter1979
    Free Member

I use burgtec composites. I wanted to get the alloy but couldn’t justify the cost. Plus when your riding the bike you can’t really see the pedals so who gives a damn.
    It’s one of those things that I don’t even think about. They are there, and they work fine and I’ve never had any issue with reliability or grip. Unlike the saints they replaced which always felt either too far or needing servicing. I’d get another pair.
    The cost of bling pedals is too crazy. These were 40 quid and totally fine.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve no idea what’s best but DMR magnesium v12 have been brill so I’m happy to stick with them

wildfires3

I use Unite Instinct pedals which are a great and have just got another bike and in the same vein, can’t really justify another £80-100 on pedals.

I was going to try the HTPA30A’s but couldn’t find any that weren’t jacked in price.

Just ordered a pair of Nukeproof Neutron plastic pedals, which a friend uses and says they are great and better than his DMR’s.

So we’ll see.

scotroutes

I have a set of Burgtecs and three sets of Neutrons. I’m happy with the Neutrons.

gkeeffe

My dmr mag V12 pedals haven’t lasted long in the Lake District. The magnesium is light but soft. Rock strikes bend the pin holes and new pins won’t locate in the oversized hole. Might be better in a less rocky place.

superstu
    Free Member

I was going to try the HTPA30A’s but couldn’t find any that weren’t jacked in price.

Leisure lakes appear to have them in stock for £35

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My dmr mag V12 pedals haven’t lasted long in the Lake District. The magnesium is light but soft. Rock strikes bend the pin holes and new pins won’t locate in the oversized hole. Might be better in a less rocky place.

Fair point that, Aire Valley Yorkshire, Yorkshire Dales and occasionally Lakes over a no of years, but can’t argue they’d perhaps not last very many seasons of regular extreme rock strewn strikes/use in the Lakes.

wildfires3

I did look there but it was 11-14 days delivery.

LAT

Kona Wah wah composites are good if you’re after a large platform

Northwind

If you can still find the Nukeproof Horizon composite, it’s absolutely superb. Light, decent size, cheap. Not massively tough, but when you’re light and cheap you don’t have to be. But sadly discontinued and I’m sure that’s partly because nobody was buying the £80 alu ones as the plastics weren’t just cheaper but better… Bonty Line Elite looks cut from the same cloth?

(I really don’t like the Neutron/PA12 family, imo they’re just not a good shape, the axle stands too proud and robs them of grip. Stuck mine on my hybrid. Oneup composites always seem to get recommendations but I can’t understand why, really didn’t like mine, again just not much grip)

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Had Burgtec comps. Loved them. Perfect size and grip. Really suited my size 12 feet!

Unfortunately my bike was nicked.

Anyhoo, new bike has XT large platform flats on. The dullest looking pedal ever, but solid as.

I’ve actually just got a second hand pair of Burgtec mk5 for 30 quid – they look a bit scuffed and worn but the pedals are fine, just need a strip and grease. These are gonna go on my Zaskar as the scuffed and worn black pedals will match the age and patina of the frame!

breadcrumb

Not actually ridden on them yet but the Unite Instinct pedals look lovely.

oceanskipper

I just bought some Shimano GR500 pedals – they’re lovely and grippy. Wide enough for winter boots but not so wide that they get in the way. I like the fact that they come with an additional set of different height pins so you can swap them out if you find them too grippy with certain shoes.

jkomo

My superstar nanos have outlasted 2 pairs of my mates Saints, so I bought a new pair in last years sale, still not needed them.

nixie

I’ve replaced my Neutrons with one up composites. The grip is better on the one up pedals and I prefer the larger platform.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

+1 for the Burgtec comps. I have them on my winter hack and cannot fault them for the price.

intheborders
    Free Member

If you can still find the Nukeproof Horizon composite, it’s absolutely superb. Light, decent size, cheap. Not massively tough, but when you’re light and cheap you don’t have to be. But sadly discontinued and I’m sure that’s partly because nobody was buying the £80 alu ones as the plastics weren’t just cheaper but better

+1

Has anyone found anything as good?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

As above the best plastic pedals i’ve used was the old Nukeproof Horizon Comps.

I tried the OneUp’s which were rubbish, and have a set of the Burgtecs which also arn’t great, bearing life was pretty poor & grip wasn’t good compared to the Nukeproof.

Back on the metal Horizons & still rate them as the best pedal ever. They will not die, or wear out bearings, they are grippy as hell & a great shape.

matt_outandabout

I’ve replaced my Neutrons with one up composites. The grip is better on the one up pedals and I prefer the larger platform

We’ve just done this on 3 bikes.
    The Neutrons are good.
    The OneUp’s are a better feel and size for bigger feet. They are lasting well 6 months in.
    Small-footed mrs_oab however wants her Neutron’s back…

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

Deity plastic pedals are great…. Nice big platform and fully serviceable and around £35.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

DMR Vaults, they are untouchable for grip and longeivity.

1timmy1
    Free Member

I’ve just changed from DMR Vaults to Unite Instinct (with the long pins) and although I am only a few rides in with the Unite’s I really like them. A friend who is a mtb coach also made the same change and his feedback was they were just as grippy as the Vaults, but didn’t need the consistent maintenance (my Vaults need consistent re-greasing). The size/shape of the Unites suits my 5:10 shoe’s sole size and shape really well.

moonsaballoon

I have two pairs of burgtec , one normal and one composite . The metal pair are bombproof with no play after 2 years , the composites are not lasting so well but the grip on them is good enough for me .

I preferred the feel of  my old vaults but the bearing life on them is very poor I found .

militantmandy
    Free Member

I loved my V12 Mags. Just bought some Vaults thought and they are easily the best flat pedal I’ve ever used. Absolutely superb.

goby

I must agree I love the dmr vaults but the longevity of the bushes is rather terrible and needing allot of tlc to keep them non rattling and running smooth.

goby

I quite like the look of the pembree D2A but yet to try some in the flesh.

scaredypants

I must agree I love the dmr vaults but the longevity of the bushes is rather terrible

Oh, I’ve just bought some of those plastic ones (V6 ?) for the commutah – are they really shit ? (will be no mud’n’shite, just water & road grime)

goby

Na they be fine mate I’m sure, my old original V8 are still going strong.

I’m sure it’s just the bad sealing on the vaults that kills the bushes.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I’ve replaced one set of bushings in 6 years on my vaults…

goby

Blimey! I have to do mine twice a year and then axles once too!

goby

The bush seem to work out as well on one pedal which is damn annoying!

patagonian
    Free Member

No complaints with the later Nanos, love the way they are simple to service and parts are available if required.

chakaping
    Free Member

No complaints with the later Nanos, love the way they are simple to service and parts are available if required.

They do go through bushings a bit too rapidly, but otherwise I’d agree – and I do still have them on all my MTBs.

How are the Nukeproof Horizons for bushing longevity? They are the only pedals I would change to.

dustytrails

Thanks for all of the comments and recommendations, very much appreciated….the Unite pedals look good and 100% UK made apparently..!

igm

I bought DMR V11s at £40. Effectively a composite Vault I think.

Seem nice enough to hold / look at and get a decent review but I’m still waiting for the bike they’re meant to go on to arrive so I can’t tell you what they’re like to ride.

That was a useless review wasn’t it.

On the other hand I also ride Horizon alloys. Impressive the way you stick to them. If anything too grippy – it’s like someone nailed your shoe to the pedal. I’d like a bit more movement for pedalling. That said nice when you jump.

lotto
    Free Member

Hope and Straitline here. Only positives to say about both brands to be honest.

superstu
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. Genuinely helpful 👍

droodling
    Free Member

Deity T-Macs, if you can get hold of a set. Perfect size for my wide feet and as grippy as you could ever want.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Pedal recommendations’ is closed to new replies.