Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Peaslake advice
  • Following on from my Swinley thread, I may go to Peaslake next week, so any similar advice would be welcome

I’m a bit lacking in bike fitness, Swinley was a slog on the legs towards the end

So HT, or bring the 180mm FS ebike down?

jim25

Ebike

bfw

Maybe park at the top of Radnor (car park at the top of Holmbury). Use your trailforks again.

Jackie Brown – turn right and then right and ride up the fireroad to the top again.

I should Co-co and then onto to Squirrelly to Delirium and the hang a left onto the fireroad all the way back up to Barry Knows Best (Peakslake for a Cheese straw and a tea).

Back up to the end of BKB, and the BKB return, then up to the top of the hill (take in the view), then Yogurt Pots and then Telegraph, then hang a left or right off TG and ride back to the car park. I think that is 15k. Me, the wife and my two boys do it with an elderly BC dog so very doable

joebristol

I’ve only ridden there once but a mate guided me. Parked outside the village hall and holmbury st Mary and climbed from there. I know we hit yogurt pots to warm up (easy, not that exciting), then definitely took in Barry knows best (easy flow trail but pretty fun), then a mixture of stuff. Nothing very technical really – but all fun. Not sure if the below Strava link will work – request to follow me if needed to access the link.

28.8km / 843m of climbing – I rode it on a 150mm front / 130mm rear trail bike with a Lyrik and coil shock on. Didn’t think it was too hard on the legs – only 1 steep climb. If you’re not very fit I’d take the e-bike though.

https://strava.app.link/soJI4o1Popb

Rubber_Buccaneer

Joe’s route takes in most of the fun stuff I’d usually do and I’d be happy to show you around it on pretty much any Wednesday. It’s all fine on a hardtail and 180mm FS is maybe rather more than you need BUT it goes up and down a bit and if you were feeling worn at Swinley I think you will enjoy Peaslake way more with the Ebike

kilo

With joes route I would also recommend going over the other side of peaslake for John the Baptist (I can’t remember if the whole of this trail comes under that name or if it has a few names) basically from the top of the hill back to walking bottom. There’s more gnar over that side too.
    Peaslake is an ebike honeypot, it’s fun and perfectly doable on a hardtail but the look seems to be storm trooper and electricity now. Have you time to buy a vw van for car park cred points?

voodoo-rich

Second half of Jackie Brown is wrecked, logging debris all over. Hang a left at the first major junction onto I should Coco.

IdleJon

I’ve only ridden there once but a mate guided me.

The first time I went there I just asked a few riders where to go, and got great directions. Surprisingly friendly for the south-east! 😀 That was a mid week afternoon, and there were enough people around to ask – I think that one bloke even guided me for a while.

spacemonkey

No need for a FS but it’s your call. I rode the area for 15 years on a FS then switched to a HT. Sure, some trails throw you about a bit but it’s not like you’re being beaten up. I’ve ridden most of it on my gravel bike over the last 4 years too.

There’s plenty to take in, so I’d suggest using TrailForks again. Expect a fair bit of climbing because it’s very much a ‘ride up to this bit then take these trails down to the bottom, then ride up to this bit and ride these other trails down the to the bottom…”

It’s a cracking place, and Peaslake Stores is epic (unfortunately not as epic as pre-Covid). Enjoy.

EDIT: just noticed you were knackered after Swinley, so I suggest taking the ebike as all that potential climbing might otherwise sap your funometer.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you stuggled with Swinley, you’ll want your ebike for the Surrey Hills.

Awesome trails all over the place there.

Cheers all, seems like some great pointers

I wouldn’t say I struggled with Swinley so much, more it was a bit of a grind towards the end of the red. Moving time was 1hr 54m, so not quick, but not stupidly slow.

It was my first self propelled ride in 2 years and I’ve barely been on the e-bike in that time also. Normally takes me around 6 weeks of 1-2 rides a week to have a reasonable amount of bike fitness.

I’ll probably mix my rides up with e and non-e for a while and it sounds like I’ll probably have more fun at Peaslake on the Kenevo for now

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah it’s all short & medium length climbs, winch & plummet styley.

There’s so much to ride there, the eeb will let you do more of it and repeat the bits you like if you’re exploring.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Superb trails and nice set up. Went for first time last night.

bfw

I rode with with Barry (from Barry Knows Best) about 20 years ago. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Holmbury. I even love Radnor on a road bike, in fact I might go there tomorrow.

milko9000
    Free Member

I think you probably should stick to the eeb for this one as planned but I do slightly dissent from the idea that Peaslake is automatically more knackering than Swinley. The relentless and at times quite boring crank around Swinley takes energy out of me where the “winch up, small rest and chat, plummet” action of Surrey Hills doesn’t. Then I get more knackered because I tend to ride for longer and have more fun.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s certainly true that the SH doesn’t sap your will to live as well as your energy.

😀

J-R

I rode with with Barry (from Barry Knows Best)

Come on – you can’t leave us with that. Tell us who was Barry and how did the SH most famous trail get its name.

sailor74
    Free Member

i wouldnt bother with Holmbury hill at the moment as a lot of the trails are gone due to logging.
    Pitch hill and winterfold, or if you want to start easy park on Leith and ride summer lightening.

stevextc
    Free Member

I’m a bit lacking in bike fitness, Swinley was a slog on the legs towards the end

So HT, or bring the 180mm FS ebike down?

If you are riding alone take the Kenevo and plan to go back on the HT.
    Reasons are its easy to get lost and take a wrong route and be “rewarded” with a miserable slog

If you’re going with someone knows the hills its way more fun on a HT. BkB/JtB and stuff called Bo-something/SuperNova, Thick N Creamy are all more fun going down on a HT. They also all have eBike fun climbs to get up…

JtB you can ride up the first 10′ (over bridge then take an almost immediate left) this is the old way down takes you past the cemetery. Watch the first RH bend you need to do it tight but a totally fun climb on a eBike …

SuperNova there is a climb going up that comes out where it changes into a more DH aspect… its next to the second fireroad (super steep) goes almost vertically up as you cycle from Walking Bottom parking.. but instead of going up this you slightly double back after 5′ and climb diagonally.. at the “top” turn left over the challenging roots then you can go to the road to the start of Supernova.

Thick n Creamy is a full Turbo climb back up parallel to the way down (obviously you can’t go up the log drop) but its totally possible to pedal up. If you’re going down and its early and rained etc. its usually a good idea to check the landing for the log drop on a HT or short travel bike. Its not very big (maybe 6′?) drop but its blind and the landing changes every time it rains. I’ve had a few uncomfortable landings on the HT when the landing isn’t as expected.

99.something percent of Surrey Hills isn’t anywhere near fun going DOWN on a FS … the .something requires 200mm and a screw loose HOWEVER I found loads of fun climbs that are more fun of the EEB than the DH’s are on a FS.

jk1980
    Free Member

I would recommend taking your FS. Yours has a ton of travel but I guess that’s negated a bit by the motor.

Each to their own I guess but for me the trails around pitch are far more fun on a FS than a hardtail.

slowboydickie

Try to find crack pipe on Holmbury. Great fun. Another ebike can’t do any more damage.

stevextc
    Free Member

Try to find crack pipe on Holmbury. Great fun. Another ebike can’t do any more damage.

Both crack pipe and wet and wild are going to suffer from eBikes on the climbs out.
    I put both in the ‘only fun on an eBike routes’… at least on group rides as the climb back is pretty dire when its wet unless that’s your thing.

If I’m pootling about by myself on the HT they are worth a run in the wet and if no-ones looking I’ll push back up… but on the EEB the climb back up is actually a lot of fun.

stevextc
    Free Member

@TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

So .. did you go yet or are you going?
    Proper dry and dusty yesterday …

Give me any notice and 90% chance I can show you around.
    If you can’t make your mind up and can bring both you can always lock one bike inside the van
    Yesterday morning I went out on the mechanical (meeting someone one a real bike) and got lunch and a beer at lunch and took out the EEB with some other mates after.

So .. did you go yet or are you going?

Proper dry and dusty yesterday …

Give me any notice and 90% chance I can show you around.

No, I was intending to go this week on the E-bike, but due to working arrangements, haven’t been home to fetch it. Will give it a go next week probably.

Cheers for the offer, may take you up on that 👍

And thanks everyone else for the tips

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.