Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Peak district track info – Howden res area
  • ratswithwings
    Free Member

I just found a track the other day. Comes off the moors down to slippery stones at the end of howden reservoir. As you look towards the res it comes down from the moors on the left hand side. It follows a stream down on the last part of it but it comes off the moors. I walked up alot of it but I'd like to know where it comes from and is it part of a loop???

thepodge
    Free Member

Its difficult to tell from your description but if its the one I'm thinking of its just a there and back job to some grouse butts

ratswithwings
    Free Member

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=safari&rls=en&q=howden%20reservoir&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

hopefully you'll see it on this link. I've looked at the map closer and I think the track may go over to langsett reservoir.

The singletrack comes down from the moors and follows the stream until it hits the off road track by the ford/bridge. I think the main track is called cold side. I've gone up cold side before and that more or less comes to a dead end but still a nice road to come back down on.

This singletrack goes right up on to the moors. I checked it out after seeing a group of bikers come down it. Was there on Monday enjoying the swimming at slippery stones and thought I'd check it out. Rode it on a hardtail but think it has even more potential for a FSer.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Errrrr are we not talking about Cut Gate here?

Yes its an out and back loop from Ladybower to Langsett and is a lovely trail (in the dry). One of the Peak District's finest in my opinion. Tough climbing, fast descents, etc, etc.

thepodge
    Free Member

Ah yeah that is cut gate, there is a track further round to the left of the res, that'd the one I thought you meant

MadPierre
    antigee

think means forestry track that leaves road near bridge – goes up to skyline and then becomes a very peaty/tufty grass path that leads to grinah stones – full on featureless moor gets you north to ladys finger stone langsett side of top of woodhead – ran it a few times – would be a very cheeky and hard work rather than technical ride – assuming good navigation skills

antigee

re read op "looking towards res' from slippery stones track on left" = cut gate – arrow on yr map is not in right place though

ratswithwings
    Free Member

oh thats cut gate is it??? heard a bit about that.

You get to the stream at the end of howden res and heading away from the res you cross the stream either by the ford or on the wooden foot bridge. you carry on the track a little and then turn off right at a sign saying bikes -> bridleway. you follow a stream for a bit that you crossed by bridge or ford and then climb steeply up to the skyline. the descent is cool.

Ok I'm off to my fave down hill tracks on blacka moor.

cheers guys

Cronny
    Free Member

Best way to do Cut Gate is as a there and back – it's great to ride in both directions and is riding wonderfully well now. When you reach the singletrack at the other side of the rock garden head right towards North America for some great riding and loop back round. The descent back into the reservoirs is fast and fun. Combine it with the Beast of Hope Cross, Lockerbrook and Hagg Farm for a big day out. Nothing massively techie but it's all rock 'n' roll.
    There's nothing better in northern parts excepting the Lakes and some cheeky bits in Calderdale.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Peak district track info – Howden res area’ is closed to new replies.