Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Anyone doing the Cheddar Gorge Challenge (16 May 2010)?
  • gothandy

I always had a soft spot for the original Cheddar Challenge, so always interested in events in the area.

Anyone got any ideas what to expect from this 58km randonee?

BikeCity
    Free Member

Hi gothandy, We will be publishing the routes on our website this weekend,

http://www.cheddarchallenge.com

and on our Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=191174478330&ref=ts

Hope that helps

judderman
    Free Member

Yeah, its a corking route with stunning views & epic singletrack, flowing downhill sections & lactic climbs! Cant say too much (its secret) other than i know a 'freind' 😉 who has done it!
    lots of us 'locals' are doing it mainly because we know the area & what it has to offer. without a doubt its gonna be a cracking days ride & the event of the season…cant wait 😀

grtdkad

Yup, entered and looking forward to it – but never been before and not sure what to expect.

Anything we should know re tyre recommendations for the 58km ride? Any potential quagmires?
    Have a choice of nobby nics, fast freds, conti-mountain kings.

olib
    Free Member

I've ridden a bit in the area and if wet can get very muddy.. not sure what its like now, i imagine pretty good if compared to how ashton court in bristol is..

my girlfriends taking the car away for the weekend… anyone ablt to offer a lift from bristol? she should be back to pick me up afterwards so you wouldnt have to wait all day for me to finish!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

nics.

AndyCh
    Free Member

So, have we asked (or even spoken to) any of the landowners for permission yet?

I know you'll say that you don't need to ask as it's all on bridleways, but surely it's courteous (and positive PR) to do so to keep on the good side of the mentioned landowners.

The National trust (Owners or the crook peak to wavering down section) have been doing quite a bit of erosion control (costing 10s of £1000) directly on the route you've chosen. have you talked to them about this? are you going to make a donation to (them or any of the other landowners (most of whom are charities)) to rectify any damage done if it's wet?

How do you explain the sections on footpaths (through the cheddar wood SSSI reserve and Lynchcombe lane)? I know the cheddar path is a permissive bridleway, but like the name suggests, it is only permissive, giving the landowners (SWT) the option to remove this permission (or remove cyclists from the permission) without any notice.

You say you have permission from the AONB, but they are not the landowners and have no jurisdiction over what happens on other peoples land. they are just an overseeing authority.

My main concern is that the week after the CLIC (which neil has spent the last 10+ years constantly negotiating access to allow that fantastic event to go ahead), this event will be seen by many to be the same as the CLIC and what with the access issues mentioned has the risk of jeopardising all of the amazing work that team has done.

A load of mountain bikers riding / racing on footpaths and through nature reserves; that's really going to do the public image of the local MTB community a whole heap of good; don't you think??

I am generally in favour and behind the event as like you said, it is raising money for charity. But, whilst it could have been an excellent bit of PR for the local MTB community, these little indiscretions have the possibility of putting the public image of the Mendip mountain biker back to where it was 20 years ago.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I was wondering when the alleged lack of planning was going to show up.
    😳

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I was wondering when the alleged lack of planning was going to show up.
    😳

Edric64
    Free Member

Andy hopefully negotiations have been done otherwise those of us like me and you who have mountain biked the Mendips for 25 years or more could see a negative response to our continued use of the hills

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I'm sure Pete's done the public relations legwork.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

yes my precious, one trail to rule them all, precious isn't it

AndyCh
    Free Member

I'm sure Pete's done the public relations legwork.

??

Edric64
    Free Member

morning Andy

sheppie_hill
    Free Member

Seems to be an awful lot of road riding on that MTB route too. Looks a bit dull!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

yeah, we all know the good stuff on Mendip is mostly cheek though, don't we.
    😉

Edric64
    Free Member

Not if you can map read !!

AndyCh
    Free Member

Personally, i've never figured out this thing about paying loads of money so you can ride the same trails you would anyhow (except the footpaths and SSSIs). Not really into this riding like a flock of sheep thing.

Any how, i noticed there was no reply to the question about the landowners permission being sought???

As Edric said, it is quite ironic how most mountainbikers nowadays seemingly cant read a map and seem to rely on GPS routes 😉

AndyCh
    Free Member

Yeah, its a corking route with stunning views & epic singletrack

A roads, B roads and accident black spots 😉

AndyCh
    Free Member

Who's bitter? Not I. I'd rather have a thatchers 😀

Edric64
    Free Member

Thatchers is on a nice cycle path, better than an A road

AndyCh
    Free Member

Why do these events cost so much to enter?

An 80 mile audax (complete with marshals, feee lunch, tea and cake plus certificates etc) only costs £7 to enter and the Save the Children (charity) walk last week across the top of the mendips was under a fiver complete with signs and marshals along the whole 30 mile route??

Just a thought 😉

nickegg
    Free Member

Thanks for your thoughts…got anything positive to add?

Gilles

"As Edric said, it is quite ironic how most mountainbikers nowadays seemingly cant read a map and seem to rely on GPS routes "

Dude, if I use a GPS it's because it's a pain to ride, then stop 5 min later to read the map, then ride again, then stop another 5 min to read the map, then ride , then stop another 5 min to read the map, then wonder if it's the right BW, am i going to annoy this farmer if I am at the wrong place? etc…I tried several maps holder and they don't work on a mtb bike.

AndyCh
    Free Member

Thanks for your thoughts…got anything positive to add?

Best riding in the area (if you can zone through the road sections)
    cracking views
    nice weather (hopefuly)
    All the best trails on mendip will be empty
    loads raised for charity
    MTBers get to meet climbers and vice versa
    Chance to meet and ride with new people

BUT…….

See, I tried 😉

Why do these events cost so much to enter?

Didnt actually mean this event in particular, as £20 is one of the more reasonable fees ive seen over the years. not unusual to pay twice that much these days and seeing that it's all going to charity then all's good.

I can remember back in the day when Edrics young'n (who's now a 6ft student) wanted to enter a kids race and it was over a tenner to ride twice round a field with no prizes, now that was a rip off!

nickegg
    Free Member

I'd suggest that none of the above routes take in the best riding in Mendips 😉

The most obvious but not the best…..

AndyCh
    Free Member

Totaly agree, but was trying to be "positive" ;D

Probably for the best as us locals like to keep our trails secret from the masses.

I'm a bit annoyed that i'm away now till after the weekend. i never even got started on the rant about the road ride. hey ho.

Edric64
    Free Member

So Andy the bit that concerns you is the footpath to callow hil quarry from Yeo valley which of course you can't cycle on or am I mistaken about the route? surely no one would organise an event that used a footpath?

nickegg
    Free Member

Thats a permissive bridleway no?

Edric64
    Free Member

permissive for horses as far as I know I think the access was negotiated by the Mendip byways and bridleways people

gothandy

Just got back from the event, and dispite the weather had a cracking time, most enjoyable. Road sections really didn't spoil things, and as for being the odvious bits of the Mendips, still plenty of stuff I hadn't ridden on before. Thanks also to all the smiling faces on the food and water stops, always very welcome, and thanks also to the local who knew that way, without him I'd have spent an extra hour map reading.

AndyCh
    Free Member

Cool, glad it all went well.

Thankfully the weather was nowhere near as bad as forecast.

Many people turn up? i know loads that were planning on entering on the day depending on the weather.

See, you cant beat a local 🙂

gothandy

50 entered the 58km route, not sure about the other distances.

Results are already out on their website, very efficent!

Cheddar Grorge Challange Results

Stumpjupmer_53
    Free Member

I am really pleased to say that the whole event, course and atmosphere were brilliant. The weather was not at its best, but that is what we come to expect in this part of the world.
    Despite the obstructive, negative and bigoted view of some local people who either don't enjoy riding with new people or are not generally accepted, I would expect next years event to attract many more individuals and family groups to the area for the ride and the local hospitality.
    I am a local, possibly the local referred to above. I have ridden the Mendips for the past 25 years and I have to say that there were areas that I had not previously ridden and certainly trails that I had not ridden in the same direction. The road sections were mostly quiet lanes with the added bonus of the all inclusive feed stations.
    Well done to the organisers of the Cheddar Gorge Challenges.
    By the way, it is legal to ride any public or permissive path unless it specifically states "No Cycling" It is illegal to ride on the pavement.
    See you all next year – A Loacal

trekturbo
    Free Member

It Was a well organised day. Congrats to Sue + David who sorted it.

Painless sign on. Great flapjack, smiley faces. New folk to ride with.
    Some top trails and once the cloud had lifted some good views.
    The route sheet was spot on to follow so didnt pay attention to the lack of direction arrows(which i reckon arent needed for a Randonee event)

I almost cleaned the climb of Crook Peak ! will have to try again some time.
    what might seem a shout route (58K) included 4,601 ft up and 4,659 ft down.

The Roadies i spoke to after seened to have a good time on the Sportive route also

judderman
    Free Member

Stumpjupmer-53

Nice to see a positive comment on this event, it seems a very small proportion of people of the local cycling community were hell bent on trying to make it fail for whatever their own twisted reasons. Despite the way markers being removed, the event went very well.
    Dave & Sue put a lot of hard work into the event, but it was Pete who organised the MTB randonee route, route cards & was putting up way markers well into the night on Saturday after working the whole day in the shop. Then up in the hills again at 6am Sunday morning to finish off & double check. So a huge pat on the back to him.
    I have spoken to many people who rode the event & all had positive comments & all were keen to attend next years event…if there is one.
    People who get off their arses & try & put on events for the benefit of others, giving up their own free time & effort should be supported, not verbally attacked on a forum FFS.
    So Stumpjupmer-53, thanks again for your support & if your ever in Wells…….. i'll buy you a pint 😉

[sits back with a bottle of Spanish red & waits for the onslought – opinions, spelling, grammar – bring it on 😯

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

" I almost cleaned the climb of Crook Peak "

The you sir are cycling god. I would not even contemplate attempting the lower part. Well done.

AndyCh
    Free Member

I was really glad to hear all went off well. I'm always in favour of cyclists doing cycling things so long ad they do it legaly and don't upset (to many) people.

I was away on holiday that weekend otherwise would probably have ridden the road event. All the people I know that road either said they had a great time.

My concerns were that parts of the route were going over quite sensitive areas which although we ride all the time, the potential of loads of bikes in bad weather could have done serious damage. Thankfuly none has been reported.

Anyhow, well done to pete for sorting it all out (especialy given what he's done yo himself moving shop) and well dine to dave and sue for getting a bit of weight behind things.

Anyhow, just a couple of points: I take it whoever it was that used the word bigoted was aiming it at me. Sorry if you felt that way, but I was just airing my concerns. As old G.B. did lady week, you seemed to use the word in the wrong context 🙂

As for whoever it was (stumpjumper?) that said you can ride anywhere so long as there's not a no cycling sign I'm afraid that you are wrong and I'll informed. If you take the time to read the highway code, it clearly states that footpaths are ONLY for passage on foot (and it specifies NO BIKES), bridleways are for foot travel, cycles and horse drawn vehicles up to 5'5" wide and restricted byways have many of the same rules as a country lane. You don't seriously expect there to be a sign on every bit of every footpath do you?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Rule 64
    You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
    [Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129]

Is not the same thing. Which clauses and/or laws in the HW code are you referring to?

Philby

Shame there was also the Black Rat Sportive on the same day in the same area – too many choices, only one day. Perhaps more coordination between the two events next year might avoid competing events.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Anyone doing the Cheddar Gorge Challenge (16 May 2010)?’ is closed to new replies.