Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Peak District – Non Rocky
  • couchy
    Free Member

Looking for a route in the peak district that is non rocky climbs and descents for a newer less confident rider and one who isn’t a fan of rocks. I know the usual stuff round Ladybower/Castleton etc that is rocky but struggling to find the stuff that isn’t Obviously some is inevitable but are there any routes that aren’t ?, thanks

Onzadog
    Free Member

Grab a VP white peak guide book. Loads of stuff in there.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Canning’s/Houndkirk and the tamer bits of Blacka?

Or Eastern Moors loop? Some of Curbar and Froggatt is a bit lumpy, but not for all that long.

Superficial
    Free Member

White Peak is the obvious choice – many more meadows, mud and single track type riding compared with the rocky bridleways of the Dark Peak.

That said, there’s a fair bit near me around Lady Cannings / Houndkirk / Blacka Moor which is not too rocky – that’s where I send my wife on her solo jaunts 🙂

EDIT: JonEdwards is too fast.

jekkyl

Absolutely the white peak.
    The white peak book mentioned above is ace, all the gpx s are here: https://www.v-publishing.co.uk/books/wpmbdownloads/

I’d recommend the 5 dales route particularly for zero tech. That and the Linacre classic. Both big routes, easily half a day.

couchy
    Free Member

Thanks I’ll start looking, if anyone has a gpx or strava route they wouldnt mind sharing that would be ace 🙂

jet26
    Free Member

Eastern Moors loop good as suggested – there’s a PDF for it if you google it…

Or Endcliffe Park out via Porter Brook and up to Norfolk Arms and then head into Lady Cannings for the Cooking on Gas and Blue Steel.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Use the white roads around Buxton and over to Eyam and Baslow etc loads of them.

BadlyWiredDog

There’s a classic loop starting from Taxal, on the edge of Whaley Bridge, that goes up the Goyt Valley, over the top to Buxton and back round Ladder Hill. The descent into Buxton has a rocky section and there’s one rubbly climb on the way back towards Whaley Bridge/Taxal, but mostly it’s quite amenable and a decent beginners route. You can always walk the rocky downhill section on the old road, it’s only about 50 metres or so.

Esme
    Free Member

There’s a very nice beginner’s route out of Castleton that goes:
    Broken Road, then Oxlow House to near the top of Cavedale
    Turn right towards Eldon Hill, then left to Old Dam
    Back on Oxlow Rake and Dirtlow Rake
    Descend on road to Castleton (or Pindale if they’re feeling brave)

All very obvious bridleways (or tarmac), but PM me if you’d like a gpx.

Esme
    Free Member

Vertebrate sell a useful book of easy routes in the Peak District. There’s quite a bit of tarmac in some of the routes, but others are mainly bridleways.
    “Cycling in the Peak District”
    (25% off, and free postage, at the moment)

Esme
    Free Member

The Eyam Winter Route  is another good one for beginners.
    And the history of Eyam is particularly relevant at the moment . . .

Superficial
    Free Member

You mean the incredible self sacrifice the villagers made to prevent spread of the plague?

Meanwhile in 2020, obese Americans are whining that they aren’t able to visit the mall without a mask, while the leader of our country goes for an unnecessary drive to check his eyesight.

jeffl

As others have said, buy the VP white peak book, loads of nice rides in there.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Don’t under estimate Peak District mileage if taking a beginner out or not familiar with the area. They seem to be at least 50% longer than miles anywhere else.

chrismac

The Linacre ride is a good loop but I would give it a miss Until the autumn now as it will be overgrown with broken and evil stingers now

AndrewL

Linacre circuit was riding really well last week, the worst bit for brambles was always the descent to the Ford after turning up the hill from the pub in Barlow ( was the pump now yet another peacock) . That seems to have had a lot of cutting back a year or so ago and is a much nicer experience now.

AndrewL

Lots of good suggestions above, the other place that is nice for gentle stuff is  around tideswell, lots of quiet lanes and rough tracks – can be linked to eyam as mentioned above or out to great hucklow or drop down to a section of the monsal trail.

couchy
    Free Member

Awesome thanks everyone loads to go at 👍

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Western edge of dark peak is worth a look too. You can put some nice loops together around chinley & hayfield avoiding any serious rocky stuff, with the possible exception of coldwell clough, but even that has some smoother lines on it

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Peak District – Non Rocky’ is closed to new replies.