Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PC and PS4 into monitor – sound solutions?
  • matt_outandabout

Middle_oab has new monitor.
    He has HDMI output on laptop and 3.5mm audio jack if needed.
    He has digital optical output on PS4.

He would like:
    One set of small speakers to take whichever device is being used at time.
    Headphones via PS4 controller to switch off speakers if in use.
    Headphones via PC 3.5 jack to switch off speakers if in use.

Tell me this isn’t some digital to analogue other size fitting nightmare and there is some reasonable priced speakers that can cope with this…?

sobriety
    Free Member

That sounds like a job for a cheap or 2nd hand AV amp & Speakers to me.

Plumb the Laptop/PS4 and TV into the amp and then select whatever source he wants to hear.

Then just plug/unplug the headphones – unless by headphones you mean headset w/mic, in which case, I’ve got nowt.

Edit: What Craig said below would be best, as long as there are enough sound “in” ports on the monitor – HDMI carries sound, so that’s one done.

CraigW
    Free Member

Any audio out connection on the monitor? Simplest would be to plug your speakers into that.

matt_outandabout

No audio out on monitor – two hdmi and one VGA inputs.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Not totally sure what you are looking for?

However, you can get HDMI audio extractor’s we have line out and SPDIF outputs. Would that help?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re over complicating things.

Speakers can be turned on and off when needed. Use fingers.

Headphones/set plug straight into the controller and PC, presumably he has something that’s compatible with both, if not look at HyperX Cloud phones and a combination headphone/mic jack (I run the same setup on my Xbox).

matt_outandabout

He’s happy to turn things off or press switches.
    So far though we have had things that need plugging or unplugging – possible, but a faff…
    Ok – speakers or soundbar with on)off switch and inputs for 3.5mm and optical.

CraigW
    Free Member

You can get speakers with multiple inputs. eg Logitech Z533 has 2×3.5mm input, plus RCA. Also has a headphone socket. https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/multimedia-speakers-z533

For connecting the PS4, can get a digital audio to analogue converter. eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-Techole-Aluminum-Digital-Toslink-Black/dp/B07MB8VCWQ/

jimdubleyou

PS4 handset has audio out. You can route all the sound through it. It’s actually an ok sound quality.

Are you 100% sure there isn’t a headphone out lurking on the monitor somewhere? I’ve had a couple of samsung monitors where they didn’t even label the port and it was away from everything else.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Still need to know if he has a headset or headphones. If the latter he absolutely has to plug that into his PS4 controller for the mic to work. Same for PC.

fettlin

Something like this? LG soundbar

I would expect creative or logitech to do something similar for the same or less money.

plumber
    Free Member

I have an old Yamaha bar fed from the optical port of my old LG TV for the PS3

and a Sonos system fed from hdmi port in new TV for PS4

I rarely if ever use either:)

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Edifier active Bookshelf speakers. They have a range of inputs, coaxial, optical, Bluetooth etc that can all be plugged in at once but switched with a remote.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘PC and PS4 into monitor – sound solutions?’ is closed to new replies.