Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • PayPal gift please
  • tomaso
    Free Member

You want to sell some stuff and put up an ad listing items and prices. You want people to trust you to take their money and send the item as described. But hang on a minute you want the person your asking to trust you to add 3.5% PayPal fees for the priveledge!

If the 3.5% fee is such a problem don’t charge £20 charge £20.70! And if it is a £300 pair of forks or a frame then there is surely even more reason to offer the buyer peace of mind?

I do find this whole “PayPal gift please” culture very strange.

monkeyboyjc

if your not happy with paypal gift don’t pay that way – chat to the seller about it, possibly cover his fees for standard paypal.

Its not that hard.

robj20
    Free Member

Its not a trust thing for me, its a not give paypal any money thing. Paypal gift for me is the electronic version of cash, its either that or bank transfer for me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If you thibk your not givin money to paypal by getting paid by gift your deluded. Paypal still gets their money.

If i buy something off someone – ill pay bank transfer. If i trust them enough to buy from them then ill send it bank transfer. If it smells fishy ill walk.

Its a technique thats worked faultlessly for 15 years now!

tomhoward

Given that normal paypal will provide protection for the buyer only, I can never understand why the seller has to pay the fees.

robj20
    Free Member

If you thibk your not givin money to paypal by getting paid by gift your deluded. Paypal still gets their money.

Can you explain where the money they get comes from then if i send £10 gift and the other person receives £10?

tomaso
    Free Member

Its the seller that has the item, describes the item, sends the item and receives payment in advance. A small fee for the seller gaining the trust of a stranger doesn’t seem unreasonable.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its all about choice and risk.
    Paypal gift offers no protection, whilst Paypal offers some (limited) protection. Balance transfer again costs nothing, and offers no protection.
    But nothing beats a little research and knowledge to prevent being stiffed in the first place! Look at the buyer’s history. Are they new? Is the stuff they’re selling too cheap? Then walk!
    Done plenty of buying and a little selling on here and never been screwed over.
    Anyway, this has been done to death a hundred times before. Use the search function and use your head.

trail_rat
    Free Member

only if you have £10 in your balance already.

if it comes from a card then you get to pick who pays the fee.

if you have your bank account linked to paypal then more fool you.

Scapegoat

Ok trail rat, I’ll bite. What’s wrong with linking your bank account to PayPal?

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve been selling stuff on here for years without any problems. If someone still feels that they need PP protection when buying from me then they can pay for it or not buy from me. Doesn’t seem unreasonable to me but that’s choice for you…

xiphon
    Free Member

Yeah I’m curious too….

trail_rat
    Free Member

gives them free reign to recoup funds if something goes awry with something you have sold on ebay where PPG is not a valid payment choice – say perhaps you sell a phone and the buyer says its actually broken – when you know its wasnt when you sold it…..

given they side with the buyer in almost every case ill keep control of that thanks. call me paranoid but i dont post the limited ebay items i sell until the payments appeared in my bank account.

t-p26
    Free Member

Anybody remember sending a cheque to pay for something? Oh yes its the “musthaveitasfastaspossible” mentality we have nowadays isnt it…..

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Anybody remember sending a cheque to pay for something? Oh yes its the “musthaveitasfastaspossible” mentality we have nowadays isnt it…..

I blame CRC. 😉

gonefishin
    Free Member

If someone still feels that they need PP protection when buying from me then they can pay for it or not buy from me. Doesn’t seem unreasonable to me but that’s choice for you…

So you would be happy with all shops and business treanfering the costs associated with credit cards onto those who choose to pay that way? I know I wouldn’t be a fan of that and it annoys me when companies do that e.g. travel agents and airlines.

trail_rat
    Free Member

problem is gonefishin

you do pay for it in shops. which is where the old “discount for cash” came from ….but these days in the card culture it costs businesses to put cash in the bank.

Airlines and travel agents charge you after so they can get low window prices to entice you in …much like charging you to print a ticket….

hexhamstu
    Free Member

If i buy something off someone – ill pay bank transfer. If i trust them enough to buy from them then ill send it bank transfer. If it smells fishy ill walk.

Its a technique thats worked faultlessly for 15 years now!

You heard it here first, forget using a insured method of paying! **** it, just use bank transfer!

trail_rat
    Free Member

not sure what your point is stu other than one of complete irrelevance.

fella doesnt want to give paypal money.

if you feel you need protection ergo a warrenty – try a bricks and mortar shop.

geoffj

And trust works both ways – as a seller I resent paying for protection which the buyer can potentially use to shaft me
    I’m almost reluctant to accept regular paypal with the premium paid by the buyer, because of the risk.

Do research, use gift – simples.

xiphon
    Free Member

Would you rather pay £700 for an airline ticket, or £690 for the ticket – and £10 for the card charge?

i.e. Would you prefer the retailer to be transparent about their business costs?

clubber
    Free Member

So you would be happy with all shops and business treanfering the costs associated with credit cards onto those who choose to pay that way? I know I wouldn’t be a fan of that and it annoys me when companies do that e.g. travel agents and airlines.

I’m not a shop for a start.

But anyway, if there was the choice always offered and it wasn’t a case of taking the current price (which obviously includes the fee overhead) and adding an extra charge and that the fee actually reflected the cost of credit card,etc, not just a way to make extra profit to it, I’d be fine with that as it gives me choice.

If I’m buying a magazine for example, I’d be happy enough to pay less and have no buyer protection whereas if I’m buying a new tablet (particularly online) for example, I’d pay a bit more for the additional credit card protection.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I’m not a shop for a start

You are selling something though and the comparison is between a credit card purchase and a paypal one and is a valid one.

If the cost are broken down in the same way that post and packaging is and it’s all done upfront then fine, but to add an additional cost at the end is a bit off.

clubber
    Free Member

Not really. There would be no protection with cash or cheque. PP just means that they usually get stuff faster. If they want protection then my price changes to reflect the extra costs. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

trail_rat
    Free Member

whos adding an additional cost ? your not getting it.

its about low window prices to sucker folk into thinking its a great deal.

realistically nowadays we the consumer have wised up but ryanair are still a shambles – its similar to insurance auto renewal – most of the market have wised up but they still make profit off the lazy or the stupid.

tomaso
    Free Member

Interesting views :mrgreen:

I will always pay for paypal fees if pushed as I want some come back. I’ve never needed it, but then again I’ve not needed my life insurance yet…

Has anyone here been shafted by an unscrupulous buyer through paypal?

xiphon
    Free Member

Many people have been shafted – and the common denominator amongst them was….. PayPal Gift! (Hence the STW warning in the Classifieds)

edlong
    Free Member

you do pay for it in shops. which is where the old “discount for cash” came from

No, no it isn’t at all. The “discount for cash” is about avoiding putting the transaction through the books, usually to avoid taxes, be that of the value added, income, or corporation variety.

The credit card surcharge is just that – additional charges to cover the additional transaction costs of that specific form, this is why you will sometimes find charges for credit, but not debit, cards. Also why you get a lot of retailers not taking AmEx since the transaction charges for that are even higher. It’s a bit annoying when it’s an add-on and credit card is the only way of paying though, but this won’t generally be the case for shops.

trail_rat
    Free Member

depends on your point of view and the honesty of your retailer i guess – but the retailers i have worked for(in bike ind) would deal for cash to ditch the CC fees – still went through the till – then we started getting charged to bank cash into a business account.

thehustler
    Free Member

WITH THE AMOUNT OF ISSUES THERE HAVE BEEN ON THIS FORUM I WOULD NEVER USE PPG, IT EVEN ADVISES YOU NOT TOO WHAT MORE NEEDS TO BE SAID?

xiphon
    Free Member

then we started getting charged to bank cash into a business account.

This is fairly standard practise for business bank accounts

craigxxl
    Free Member

Same can be said for sellers who have been scammed too. Simply don’t use Paypal, normal or gift.
    If you want to buy something send them a cheque and wait for it to clear then some more for the goods to arrive. When things go wrong at you have an address to go round to.
    Want it faster then make a bank transfer. If you want to use Paypal to pay the seller then add the fees if they ask. The sellers on here aren’t shops. Usually selling things at good price to other enthusiasts and normally asked by the buyer if they would take 50% of what the items are listed at.
    Even easier just get rid of the classifieds then no one can complain that they were too stupid or lazy to research the seller or too cheap to pay the extra to have full Paypal cover if things do go wrong.

xiphon
    Free Member

How about asking the seller for a landline and address before sending payment?

A quick phone call (to confirm the telephone number) and look on Google Maps…

pdw
    Free Member

Would you rather pay £700 for an airline ticket, or £690 for the ticket – and £10 for the card charge?

i.e. Would you prefer the retailer to be transparent about their business costs?

And that’s the problem. People prefer to buy from places which offer “free” delivery. People resent a credit card charge being “added” when in the reality the alternative is paying a credit card charge if you actually used a debit card.

I think a lot of it is down to being able to easily see what you’re going to pay.

bland

WITH THE AMOUNT OF ISSUES THERE HAVE BEEN ON THIS FORUM I WOULD NEVER USE PPG, IT EVEN ADVISES YOU NOT TOO WHAT MORE NEEDS TO BE SAID?

Thats teh daily mail view, 1000’s of things are sold on here and you hear about a tiny percentage being an issue so thats just scaremongering.

Anyhow, if you are fed up of ebay fees wait a few weeks after selling your item and open a case to cancel the sale. Sen an email IN REPLY TO THE Paypay email to the seller direct explaining you dont agree with ebay being tight fisted barstewards and adding fees to postage and if they are happy will they agree to cancel the sale.

You still get to leave feedback for each party and if they dont want to they just say nom or ignore it and you get the fees back after a time period. Yes its two fingers up to ebay but works 80% of the time.

just dont go explaining your motives through the ebay email portal

Its like free money!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘PayPal gift please’ is closed to new replies.