Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Patella tendonitus
  • skellnonch
    Free Member

Got a dose of the above and i’m off on a biking holiday over christmas (hopefully) any help advise to sort it out so I can ride? much appreciated.

footflaps

See a physio and get a rehab program underway. Tendons need the right amount of load to heal, too little and nothing happens, too much and you make it worse.

johndoh
    Free Member

I got this when training for a half marathon and ONE OF THESE sorted it out very efficiently. I also took low doses of ibuprofen after runs (to reduce swelling) and ice packs (well, bags of peas usually).

Alternatively you could see your doctor and ask if they could prescribe some naproxen.

onandon
    Free Member

Sorry. I was bored 😐

chakaping
    Free Member

Go and see a recommended sports injury expert, pronto.

footflaps

Anti-inflammatories re not recommended for tendon injuries as inflammation is part of the healing process. If it’s an inflamed bursar etc, then great but they actually inhibit tendons healing…

johndoh
    Free Member

@footflaps I am currently on naproxen (an anti-inflammatory) for an arm injury caused by throwing a stone and damaging tendons and causing a muscle tear. I have also been prescribed the same after getting rotator cuff tendonitis injuries (twice).

<b>Naproxen</b> is used to relieve pain from various conditions such as headaches, muscle aches, tendonitis, dental pain, and menstrual cramps. It also reduces pain, swelling, and joint stiffness caused by arthritis, bursitis, and gout attacks. This medication is known as a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve had it for a few years after doing an mtb ride with the dropper post stuck down. stayed off the bike for 6 months thinking it would heal on it’s own (whatever it was). Eventually went to doctors and then sports physio on NHS. Didn’t take the physio particularly seriously and only saw slight improvement. physio on NHS finished and I just stopped the exercises. 8 months on whilst doing winter mountaineering it was causing me issues (mostly jarring by slips, walking in crampons, foot breaking thru crusty snow etc) I decided I was a liability to myself doing these sorts of activity with a dodgy knee, so decided to take the physio seriously. looked up some routines on you tube and started doing them again but this time properly (ie regularly and increasing reps and using weights) I also included IT band stretching. Sorted it out, but has since come back but in a much lesser degree, so think if I want to always be completely clear then I’ll have to keep doing exercises and stretches occasionally, which I probably won’t, of course.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just had a look on you tube, I did exercises recommended by Dr Jo, mainly because at least one of them was the one I was doing with my local physio. the IT band stretch I did was the second stretch in this vid   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO2ZNz03YEI

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Patella tendonitus’ is closed to new replies.