Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Paris with a car
  • bubs

We want to drop into Paris to visit the main sights either on the way to or on the way back from Disney. We will be coming from the tunnel and we will have 2 kids in tow. Can we drive right in and find parking or is it better to train/metro in from the suburbs? Could we park at the airport and then make use of its connections? Is there park and ride? I know we can catch a train from Disney but we would rather go on route if possible.

DrJ

I don’t have detailed knowledge but have driven into the city a few times and parked in a parking garage. It’s easy but quite expensive.

hot_fiat

You can drive right in and park. You will need an emissions sticker (crit d’air).

If you’re at the mouse though it’s so much easier to get the train in.

You can use the RATP from CDG if you want. Beware: it is the worst airport in Europe with a comprehensively bad approach to everything. I’ve known the queues for the SNCF ticket machines to take longer than my flights from Newcastle.

simon_g

Eurotunnel site suggests some: https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/holiday-ideas/paris-park-and-ride-guide/

I’ve had to drive into central Paris to deliver some stuff for work, would not recommend at all. You’ll need to sort out an emissions sticker now too or get a fine.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve driven in Paris, it was hectic. I’d do it again, but I’m not sure I’d like to use my own car! 🙂

ElShalimo
    andy4d

What molgrips said. The arc de triomphe was a unique driving experience.

BillMC

I’ver been freaked out by the cars on the Peripherique and I was on a motorbike.

RustyNissanPrairie

I used to work at factory on the outskirts so called in to Paris a lot.
    It’s generally fine – I used to park under George Pompidou centre. Avoid the Peripherique at rush hours as it’s manic with maxi scooters lane splitting at full speed.

Arc D’Triomphe is a bit everyman for himself but isn’t too bad.

Don’t go with an expensive pride of joy car. Paris stereotypes for parking are true. I had long term rental with full insurance and it was destroyed when I dropped it back off.

savoyad

Paris is basically driveable, but the emissions ticket adds hassle, it’s much better if you know your way around, and park and ride is easy and cheaper.

So if you really want to drive, go for it. But if you want easy touristing don’t bother.

If you do park and ride, the airport really isn’t the best place.

If you are at disney anyway, just do it from there like @hot_fiat says. The RATP will take you to the city centre.

(There are too many main sights to visit in a day.)

stevextc
    Free Member

You can (emissions ticket) but honestly, just get the RER …
    I lived in both the suburbs (78) and centre (5er) and drove for various reasons but it really had to be a reason. (Going to Ikea an example)

Additionally once you get in it’s all walkable. You can do some fun stuff like take the Batobus on the Seine or the odd bus/metro if you have specific places but mostly everything is so closely packed together you’ll see loads between places.

Just an top of my head example taking in a few spots…
    You could go from Luxembourg on the RER B se the seante and gardens then wander down Moufftard or over to Rue Monge and see the Roman ampitheatre .. then wander to the Zoo gardens and take a tea in the mosque cafe… you can (or used to) be able to get the batobus from there to Eifel tower or just St Michel but equally you can just walk down the Seine… you can easily walk from there to say Pont Neuf and Musee d’ Orsay or cross the river and see the Louvre or backtrack to Ile de la cite… OR OR OR … and you’d have only walked a couple of miles…

peekay

Have driven in plenty of times, it is really not that bad, and if you are used to driving in a major UK city and the alertness/mentality needed then it is fine.

If you are going in for a drive round to look at the sights it of the window then that should be doable, but hoping to get to all the big sights and park is going to be tedious and expensive.

However, if you have time not to, then I wouldn’t recommend driving in.

Instead of a Park and Ride, then I would just look at the RER map, park near a suburban station on one of the lines in to Chatelet/Les Halles, and just go for a wander around on foot from there.

As someone mentioned above, look in to applying for your windscreen sticker just in case you need it.

bubs

Thanks all, very helpful and good shout about the emissions sticker! I think we’ll let the train take the strain.

crossed

We went a couple of years back. Dumped the car in the long stay at CDG for a week and took the train in to Paris.
    There’s no way I’d be driving there!

CDG was pretty straightforward, in fact it was probably easier to navigate the connections to the long stay car park than it is at Heathrow!

sharkattack

I know 2 people who have had their vans destroyed in Paris. One was an instant write off, one limped home with leaky doors letting the rain pour in all over their belongings.

Maybe the locals have something against MTBers in T5’s just like this place.

I’ve always wanted to drop in on the way home from the Alps but I’m too scared.

alpin
    Free Member

Have been to Paris several times on business. Chauffeur provided to get to the airport or Gare Est.

It’s bad enough sitting in the back of a ****, insulated Merc let alone trying to drive through town. Nightmare.

A colleague got one of the motorbike taxis out of fear of missing his flight.

misteralz
    Free Member

Be aware that the Crit Air sticker appears to be necessary for the Peripherique now! For the sake of 3€ plus postage I’d be getting one. I’ll echo what’s already been said up there, though. I’d not be driving in Paris unless it’s an actual emergency. I’ve hit the Peripherique at rush hour once before and even as someone who lives in the Netherlands and is therefore HYPER-aware of anything on two wheels, it’s mentally exhausting watching out for the various scooters, weird trikes, and full-on superbikes lane splitting on all sides at 100+ kmh. But they’ll have their hazards on, so that’s okay…

poolman
    Free Member

I wouldn’t drive in any city where there’s a public transport alternative. Just leave the car outside and use train, bus etc, far less stress.

DrJ

I lived in both the suburbs (78)

Same here – maybe we were neighbours – you aren’t Jean-Nichel Jarre are you? 🙂

(Going to Ikea an example)

I still have nightmares about IKEA in Paris, or nearby – the one at a place called “Grand Plaisir.

Driving in Paris is less stressful than here, IMO. The Arc de Triomphe especially is less crazy than it seems – traffic goes slowly and people are on the alert for madness.

Edukator
    Free Member

Maybe the locals have something against MTBers in T5’s just like this place.

Maybe T5 driving Brit MTBers are shit drivers (hi, Alpin 😉 ), they are definitely disproportionally progress making and ignorant of the code de la route IME.

I don’t drive much in Paris agreeing with Poolman’s philosophy. On the occasions I do I run through the local anomolies in my head (mainly bizarre priorities or lack of) and make space. I find Bordeaux worse, if you see really anti-social driving see if it’s a 33.

Klunk
    Free Member

arc de triomphe was a unique driving experience.

had to drive round on a friday evening in the snow!!! absolutely mental, Otherwize it’s not too bad, lots of narrow one ways with those weird right of way crossroads then 4 lane boulevards (which you shouldn’t drive up the wrong side) :). Quite a lot of those underground parking garages with very tight entrances (See top gear episode to the Millau bridge)

Edukator
    Free Member

lots of narrow one ways

Don’t forget the bikes coming the other way have priority. Markings are better now so you should be aware.

alpin
    Free Member

Maybe T5 driving Brit MTBers are shit drivers (hi, Alpin 😉 ), they are definitely disproportionally progress making and ignorant of the code de la route IME.

WTF…. Don’t tarnish me with that brush…. For starters I’m German, sold the T5 last year and only had one accident in it and that was in Milan! 😉

matt_outandabout

We found an AirBnB with a courtyard parking area. Car and bikes hidden in there for a couple of nights – and metro a few minutes walk to get into the city. We had a full day in the city – and having seen the traffic, I really was glad I didn’t drive.

We did Parc Asterix, much better 😉

matt_outandabout

only had one accident in it and that was in Milan!

Milan being the place where the driver of our minibus drove the wrong way down a one-way street, on the phone and trying to light a Malboro….so using one elbow on horn, one to steer…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.