Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Parents protesting against LGBT acceptance
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-birmingham-47652563

Have we done this yet? Bunch of **** if you ask me…..I’d take all of their kids into care.

I thought that it was quite interesting that none of the far right had picked up on this given the religion/ethnicity of the vast majority of the protesters…..a quick search on Facebook and the comments were mainly of the “Now I hate Muslims as much as the next bloke, but I do agree that we shouldn’t be forcing our kids to become gays” type. I weep for humanity, I really do.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I thought that it was quite interesting that none of the far right had picked up on this given the religion/ethnicity of the vast majority of the protesters…

It’s a head explode moment for many of them, as they are probably upset they didn’t think of it first.

But sorry it goes back to the all religion out of schools apart from to study it. In the recent same sex marrige debate in Oz Catholic schools were sending home what can only be described as bigoted and offensive material to kids on the topic.

We are either inclusive of all or we are not inclusive.

poah
    Free Member

Can’t beleive the schools capitulated to that nonsense.

stevego
    Free Member

To be fair I teach in a catholic boys school in Aus (I’m not catholic) and our school came out and supported it and supports gay students.

senorj

I agree with you Tom.It makes my blood boil tbh. I suspect it also has to be reported with extra sensitivity due to the religion of the majority of the protesters in the case above. I say let those that are offended ,home school their kids,at their own expense.

bigyim
    Free Member

I work near to the area and commute through it all. It’s a 99 percent Muslim area from what I know and the teachings say that LGBT is a no no. I don’t agree with the parents but it’s hardly surprising knowing the area and I bet the school backs down on it and gives in.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

‘incompatible with the teachings of Islam’

we are a secular society – the ‘teachings’ of Islam are extra to the curriculum in this country. If we let the parents get their way then we will just end up with the kids being just as ignorant as their parents.

The kids should be made to watch Ricky Gervais’s ‘teachings’ on religion.

binners

Intolerance is intolerance, however you dress it up

‘My religion compels me to be an intolerant bigot’ should not be used to legitimise it

I wonder if they think other forms of intolerance ie islamophobia should be indulged and placated?

kayla1
    Free Member

I suspect it also has to be reported with extra sensitivity due to the religion of the majority of the protesters in the case above

Of course it doesn’t, and they can get right to **** whatever religion they’ve chosen. Religion is a choice but being LGBT isn’t. The ones who should be treated with respect are those that don’t have a choice and don’t anyone **** dare use medieval superstition to make denying education and acceptance A Good Thing.

st66

I liked the irony of the parents saying they didn’t want their children being indoctrinated.

gobuchul
    Free Member

If you were LGBT, would this make it acceptable to be Islamophobic?

tomhoward

I can appreciate their fears TBH.

I spent 2 years as a Tudor footman after a particularly engaging history lesson.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

teach nothing about religion or aetheism until 20 :

Harry_the_Spider

I ferry a few kids about to various clubs on a rota with other parents.

This conversation occurred in my car last week.

Kid 1 : You know that Bohemian Rhapsody is about Freddie Mercury?
    Kid 2 : Yeah
    Kid 1 : And that he was gay?
    Kid 1 : And he died?
    Kid 1 : Well, if he had kept himself pure that wouldn’t have happened.
    Kid 2 : Eh?
    Me : Eh?

Where does a 10 year old get that from? He is a product of a Catholic School and is going to the only High School in the borough that was under subscribed. If that is what they are taught no wonder people aren’t exactly knocking the door down to go.

Proud that Kid 2 is my lad. To him Freddie was the guy in the yellow jacket that got 80,000 people to sing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

To repeat what I said above

kcr
    Free Member

This is a religious thing, not a Muslim thing. Family in my kids’ primary school have taken their kids out and home schooled them because they think the education is incompatible with their (Catholic) faith.

gobuchul
    Free Member

He is a product of a Catholic School

Why do you think he learnt that at school?

I went to Catholic Schools in the 70’s and 80’s and we didn’t get taught stuff like that then.

It’s far more likely that came from his nut job parents.

A school has a lot less influence on a child’s thinking than their parents.

fossy

I remember arguing with my mum about evolution when I was a child – fortunately she’s mellowed a bit from her Catholic roots, but we didn’t just arrive, we’ve evolved from primates, and single cell creatures before that.

Religion is a big causer of trouble. Full stop. It’s made up baloney at best.

nealglover
    Free Member

But sorry it goes back to the all religion out of schools apart from to study it

This is nothing to do with Religion in schools.
    It’s to do with religious parents not liking the school discussing things in a secular manner, that don’t match up with their own religious beliefs.

Harry_the_Spider

Maybe. Probably just coincidence. It just struck me as odd that the Catholic school that wasn’t turning people away.

gobuchul
    Free Member

To repeat what I said above

What even abhorrent right wing opinions?

kerley
    Free Member

Religion is a choice but being LGBT isn’t.

I think a lot of the parents are failing at that first step. In the last week I have heard a couple of people on TV still claiming it is a choice.

MSP

I went to Catholic Schools in the 70’s and 80’s and we didn’t get taught stuff like that then.

Oddly enough, even as acceptance has been coming to wider society, I see that a lot of religious teaching has doubled down on homophobia and intolerance against other religious.

anagallis_arvensis

I think we should take a lead from Italy and their vaccination compulsion. If the parents are crazy the kids cant come to school!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I heard that this story was more about the WAY it was being taught, rather than the subject being some sort of taboo… 💁‍♂️

binners

I heard one of the protesters being interviewed. They say they object to homosexuality being ‘promoted’. It was pointed out to them that the kids were being taught about the existence of alternative lifestyles, and that was very different to promoting it

He just sounded to me like someone inherently intolerant and homophobic trying (badly) to justify their intolerance and homophobia

anagallis_arvensis

I heard that this story was more about the WAY it was being taught, rather than the subject being some sort of taboo

From who?

v8ninety

we are a secular society

No, we really are not, sadly.

Northwind

I do my best to be considerate to religion but, “this is incompatible with the teachings of faith X”. Well if your teachings are incompatible with the world, it’s not the world that’s wrong and it’s not the world that’s going to change. If you want to make your faith durable and survivable you’ve got to make it compatible with the world.

Ironically, this is a big part of how islam started out- it came into being in the melting point of faiths in a very mature and crowded market and gained initial success (and survival) by relating well with its surroundings rather than being impractical and adversarial. It’s why the prophet spent so much time on making sure it could play well with christianity, judaism and zoroastrianism- if it didn’t, those bigger established religions would have had his head on a stick.

seosamh77
    Free Member

😆 Quite the unprovoked attack on Catholic schools going on here!

v8ninety

It’s why the prophet spent so much time on making sure it could play well with christianity

That doesn’t seem to be working out so well these days does it? 😳

seosamh77
    Free Member

I remember arguing with my mum about evolution when I was a child – fortunately she’s mellowed a bit from her Catholic roots, but we didn’t just arrive, we’ve evolved from primates, and single cell creatures before that.

Religion is a big causer of trouble. Full stop. It’s made up baloney at best.

Your mum obviously didn’t get the memo! 😆

In the 1950 encyclical Humani generis, Pope Pius XII confirmed that there is no intrinsic conflict between Christianity and the theory of evolution, provided that Christians believe that God created all things and that the individual soul is a direct creation by God and not the product of purely material forces.

Doubt she’d have heard of Georges Lemaître either! 😆

poah
    Free Member

Quite the unprovoked attack on Catholic schools going on here!

well they deserve it TBH

I’ve been accepted for a PGDE in biology & science. You’d think I could teach in any school but no

https://www.nomorefaithschools.org/news/2018/06/how-to-teach-in-a-catholic-state-school-in-scotland

so even though catholic schools are funded by the government in this day in age of equality I ‘ll have a 1/5 of schools out with my reach because of religion. I’d understand if they were funded by the catholic school rather than the public purse.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

If it hadn’t of been for personal experience I’d have agreed that religion is the root of intolerance, but bigotry prevails across class, creed and religion. Several kids have moved from the middle class village secular state school due to overt and institutional discrimination, one because they are gender fluid and the kids and teachers were unaccepting, I moved mine to a Catholic school due to racism.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the diversity and inclusion of others at the RC school, my kid’s best friend is Muslim and they have kids from 9 different countries in their class. My kids have learned a lot more about different beliefs and acceptance than they ever would have at the secular school.

In short, being an eijit is universal no matter how you attempt to justify it.

tjagain

anagallis_arvensis

I think we should take a lead from Italy and their vaccination compulsion. If the parents are crazy the kids cant come to school!

Trouble with that is we end up with home schooling or even no schooling for these kids – so they grow up even less integrated.

anagallis_arvensis

Trouble with that is we end up with home schooling or even no schooling for these kids – so they grow up even less integrated.

True, but at least other kids dont suffer their parents backwards hate filled view and are taught about LGBT rights etc.

As Mr Spock would say the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one or few!

seosamh77
    Free Member

poah

Quite the unprovoked attack on Catholic schools going on here!

well they deserve it TBH

I’ve been accepted for a PGDE in biology & science. You’d think I could teach in any school but no

https://www.nomorefaithschools.org/news/2018/06/how-to-teach-in-a-catholic-state-school-in-scotland

so even though catholic schools are funded by the government in this day in age of equality I ‘ll have a 1/5 of schools out with my reach because of religion. I’d understand if they were funded by the catholic school rather than the public purse.

Catholic schools, are a bit Catholic, shocker! 😆

It doesn’t exclude you, you just need to be willing to follow some of the Catholic bits, of the Catholic school. That’s not really unreasonable tbf.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It doesn’t exclude you, you just need to be willing to follow some of the Catholic bits, of the Catholic school. That’s not really unreasonable tbf.

Or shock horror!! We leave the religious indoctrination crap to churches etc. and education to schools. Publicly funded so teachings for all.

nealglover
    Free Member

In the 80”s I was taught at a catholic school, was taught by nuns for some lessons (from the attached Convent)
    I did an A Level in Theology at that school and was taught by an Atheist. He was also Head of RE at the school for years.

He was quite open about his atheism, but he was also totally respectful and tolerant of anyone else’s religious views. (Not the argumentative smug toss bag normally associated with atheism 😉 )

So it’s totally possible to teach at a catholic school and not be religious. You just need to be a really good teacher that the school wants 👍

seosamh77
    Free Member

mikewsmith

Or shock horror!! We leave the religious indoctrination crap to churches etc. and education to schools. Publicly funded so teachings for all.

You could but that would go against how people want their children educated. Why should you be the one to determine how people educate their children?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Parents protesting against LGBT acceptance’ is closed to new replies.