Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pannier rack that uses rim brake caliper mount
  • shermer75
    Free Member

What’s good out there? So far I’ve only found the Axiom Streamliner.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Axiom-Streamliner-Road-Deluxe-Rear-Rack_54703.htm

It doesn’t look like I can use P-clips or a seat collar solution.

shermer75
    Free Member

everyone
    Free Member

I think the Tubus fly uses a caliper mount but I can’t remember off the top of my head.

Why can’t you use a seat collar arrangement or p-clips?

shermer75
    Free Member

“Why can’t you use a seat collar arrangement or p-clips?”

P-clips: I was worried that the brake cable might get in the way, but I’m now thinking that it will prob be fine!

Seat collar: this is already being used for the brake. It looks a bit like an old cx-style brake, where the brake cable is held by the seat collar. You can see the bottom of it in the photo..

everyone
    Free Member

I see that now, the picture wouldn’t load on the work internet!

I think that if you put the p clips high enough up then it should be fine.

dovebiker

Tubus Fly certainly, plus you can use the QR – but P-Clips can be used

montgomery
    Free Member

I’d imagine SJS Cycles would have an adaptor enabling you to use just about any rack with a caliper brake fixing point.

kormoran
    Free Member

I have mounted a rack on a virtually identical (weinmann) brake set up to yours by putting a single strut through the brake cable loop and mounting on the back of the brake center bolt. I keep meaning to fashion a sturdier strut but so far my original fitting has been fine. The rack itself has a central rail for this, as well as the two normal outer rails for mounting on the seat stays in a conventional manner. Not sure if that is common though, it’s a fairly old alloy rack

I couldn’t get p clips to work – to avoid fowling the brake cable loop they were too high and therefore the rack was at a crazy angle

Edit I just looked closely at the streamliner link, yeah it is similar to what I have done but it is a conventional rack (blackburn style)

CraigW
    Free Member

You could add another seat clamp (with rack mounts), a bit further up your seatpost. eg Salsa Post Lock. https://salsacycles.com/components/category/collars/post-lock

Matt_SS_xc

http://www.clandestine.cc is who you want to talk to. Excellent stuff.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Looks.like a.larhe frame?

If a seat clamp would work, they look hella ugly on large bikes.

P clips of nec but 3 point fixing works fine

slowster
    Free Member

My first good quality bike had a 3 point fixing rear rack, and it was absolutely awful if used with loaded panniers. The rack would invariably start to sway slightly from side to side and the swaying was amplified by the action of pedalling. Partly this was due to the lack of triangular struts at the rear of the rack, but the single fixing at the brake calliper was a major factor.

Pretty much all the racks available nowadays are vastly superior, but I would still try and avoid using a 3 point fixing if I planned to carry heavy loads.

With regard to the risk of the seatstaty fixings of a 4 point rack fouling the brake calliper arms, Tubus struts are designed to be bent. Normally this would mean bending them down from the rack towards the seatstay, and possibly bending them inwards to bolt them to the inside face of a seatstay boss (instead of the outside face). However, you could probably just as easily bend them up towards the saddle, and similarly bend them outwards  (p-clips can be rotated 180 degrees to put the clip in line with either the inside or the outside of the seatstay).

Tubus also publish the dimensions of their racks in pdf format on their website, so you could get a good idea of whether horizontal unbent struts would be likely to foul the brake calliper arms and therefore need to be bent out of the way.

Lastly, the straddle cable in the photograph looks far too high. Lowering it will improve the mechanical advantage of the brake.

cynic-al
    Free Member

3 point should be ok if it’s a well designed rack (not old crap like you have used) and not carrying heavy touring loads (which if hope would be obvious).

shermer75
    Free Member

Lastly, the straddle cable in the photograph looks far too high. Lowering it will improve the mechanical advantage of the brake.

Very handy tip! Thanks!! 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pannier rack that uses rim brake caliper mount’ is closed to new replies.