• This topic has 250 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 251 total)
  • Panasonic GF1 thoughts?
  • NoMountainsHere
    Free Member

I have the Lumix DMC-LX3 and it is quite brilliant. The large aperture f2.0 and wide angle lens is a joy in low light conditions.

That said DSLRs offer much more flexibility and a big zoom will help. But I hardly used my film SLR in the end because I tired of carrying its bulk around. I may not be able to get the minority of long distance shots I want with the LX3, but its always in my jacket pocket.

grumm
    Free Member

Didn't realise this was still going. 🙂

toby1

SFB – it may not tell me about the camera (to be honest I'm unlikely to replace my 450D as my wife bought it as a wedding present for me and would rather see another breadknife shaped wedding present plunged into my chest than the camera being sold) I just liked some of the pictures that were appearing on the thread 🙂

Cheers by the way guys!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and would rather see another breadknife shaped wedding present plunged into my chest than the camera being sold

my interest is just a sparkly toy camera for carrying around day to day 🙂 Though in fairness I'd probably still lug around the D300 as backup 🙂

toby1

my interest is just a sparkly toy camera for carrying around day to day Though in fairness I'd probably still lug around the D300 as backup

🙂 If I could justify that as a replacement for my point and click Ixus it'd be done already – why I'm not the child of a rich property developer I'll never know! I appreciate that you said you'd keep an eye out for a secondhand one too 🙂

shoei
    Free Member

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what is it with Lancastrian GF1 owners posting pics ?

vrapan
    Free Member

Trying to tempt you Simon that's all, secret conspiracy that is all.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Trying to tempt you Simon that's all, secret conspiracy that is all.

well, and you may imagine it's hard for me to say it, but I was more tempted by the thing itself than anything shot with it 🙂

mudsux
    Free Member

well, it's the photographer and not the camera anyway. and having the camera at hand is half the battle these days.

vrapan
    Free Member

well, and you may imagine it's hard for me to say it, but I was more tempted by the thing itself than anything shot with it

My brain is twisted like that too really. I wanted to buy it since I saw it without having seen any pictures from it and despite my logic saying "NO NO NO NO" 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

well, it's the photographer and not the camera anyway

I understand that that's true to an extent, but my pictures instantly got a lot better when I bought the GF1.

M6TTF
    Free Member
    shoei
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

what is it with Lancastrian GF1 owners posting pics ?

Cos we can plus its such a lovely part of the country we want to share it with every one.
    Wish now i'd taken a pic of the photo shoot that was going on at the same time in front of the Midland Hotel. Poor lass must have been freezing stood on the beach in a bikini pretending it was the summer.

M6TTF – Member

Ok, forgive my ingorance but can you explain why the gf1 is preferable over this
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/Overview/LUMIX+TZ7+-+Some+things+are+unexpected/2379650/index.html#anker_2379652

Apart from the Image stabilisation, the GF1 does everything the TZ7 will do and you can change lenses, so your not stuck with a fixed zoom.

grumm
    Free Member

Isn't the main advantage of the GF1 that it has a much bigger sensor than compacts?

MrNutt
    Free Member

here's a crop (about 100%) of a cracking little lad:

taken with the gf1 20mm pancake

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Panasonic LUMIX GF1 Kit & DMW-LVF1 Live Vew Finder going soon, already up to £535…

grumm
    Free Member

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

#2 is stunning 🙂

mudsux
    Free Member

Isn't the main advantage of the GF1 that it has a much bigger sensor than compacts?

if you read up on the 4thirds system – it's much more than just sensor size.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it's much more than just sensor size.

yeah, patchily accepted lens standard goes on to be rejigged for mirrorless (incompatible) design after only 2 or 3 years:(

grumm
    Free Member

Cheers Simon.

Four thirds lenses are compatible with an adaptor. Not really to up on the technical details of all the different systems tbh.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Four thirds lenses are compatible with an adaptor.

sorta, I believe there are autofocus issues too…

grumm
    Free Member

Ah ok, looks like a few of em will. http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/g1.html

grumm
    Free Member

or

?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the first version is much better 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks – I decided that too. I get carried away sometimes playing around in Lightroom. 🙂

CountZero

Sony have just shown a new Alpha series compact with interchangable lenses, and some whizzy in-camera features, like a six-shot auto panorama, a low-light feature that shoots a number of different exposures then combines them for an ultra low-noise result. 2010 release. Could be interesting.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Sony have just shown a new Alpha series compact:

APS-C sensor similar size to Nikon and Canon non-full frame DSLRs

grantway
    Free Member

Intresting as looking for a new camera, fed up of the DSLR
    Was looking at the Digital Medium Format cameras.

Also what has cault my eye is the Cannon Pro compact range with a built in zoom lens.
    A pro friend uses this more than his DSLR.
    Whats this G1 compared to the Cannon/Nikon Pro compacts,
    Also whats the flash like on this does it
    work or is it to weak over distance IE 10 ft

grantway
    Free Member

Regarding the Cannon G11

vrapan
    Free Member

Sony's concept is very interesting. An ultra compact with the flexibility of a my D40. I thought that was expected from Canon initially for this PMA.

grumm
    Free Member

That Sony does look interesting, but imo it's fugly – which is obviously the most important thing. 🙂

Grantway I don't really know about the G11 – maybe start another thread? 😉

dub
    Free Member

Got to have play with one of these in currys the other day. Its small but heavy (from a compact background), dense is probably a better description. The thumb wheel is excellent it just makes adjustments super easy almost worth buying just for the ease of use. They didn't have the 20mm in stock just the 14-45 which does add bulk.

I was also told that if you buy a camera instore from Currys and find it cheaper within a 30mile radius they'll match the price and take off 10% of the difference.

grumm
    Free Member

Couple from last night

Not sure where you are but Mathers in Bolton were the cheapest price I could find when I got mine.

grumm
    Free Member

DrP

Well, I got one in the end! Went for the twin lens kit and had a play about with both lenses too – the 20mm really is quality, and the zoom is useful for outside the house I've found.
    I'll freely admit I'm no pro, and to be honest going from a point and shoot compact to this is quite a step, but it's one I'm looking forward to getting better at….
    And what better subject than my new little chappy!

Wouldn't have got shots like this with my old canon compact!

I've a book recommended bt someone off here on the way, and basically will snap until I get better!

DrP

Matt-P
    Free Member

I'll take your 456 Grum and raise it a 456

Enjoying getting to use my GF1 for biking shots, still a fair bit to learn though to get consistently good shots. Only major drawback I'm finding so far is that the screen is very refelctive making it hard to see in bright light.

CountZero

Grumm, that mountain shot is really lovely, and the On-One positively glows! Must say, though, that mountain photo is outstanding; I just want go there, now.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 251 total)

The topic ‘Panasonic GF1 thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.