Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Pamplona bull/Running of the bulls
  • hora
    Free Member

Something I’ve always wanted to tick off once in my life. Anyone done it??

http://www.3news.co.nz/Kiwi-injured-in-final-Pamplona-bull-run/tabid/313/articleID/165893/Default.aspx

donsimon
    Free Member

Go for it, what could possibly go wrong?

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Mate of mine did it this year and said it was great fun. Never felt like his life was in danger as such but still had the adrenaline rush etc. He is trying to get me to go next year…

selaciosa
    Free Member

Yep – I did it back in 2002 – was awesome. Managed to run the second half of the route from the time they released the bulls which is signalled by two rocket explosions – one when they open the gate and the second when they’ve left the pen. Made it in-between the first 4 and last 2 bulls

bikebouy
    Free Member

I watched it from safe streets on a couple of occasions.
    It’s cracking fun, party all night too..

hora
    Free Member

I imagine being bowled over and landing upside down on the cobbles with your head (which would be approaching as bad as a partial goring).

donsimon
    Free Member

I’d do a little bit of research as a) Health and Safety are having, in a very Spanish way, a bit of a crack down and b) Running tourists are often frowned upon as they don’t know the rules and can often screw things up putting other people in danger.
    I’ll have a look over the weekend for videos of the mozos beating or at least giving the odd tourist a slap and the stick waving marshall controlling both bulls and runners.
    It, very seriously, isn’t a walk in the park.

selaciosa
    Free Member

I took it very seriously when I did it. I’m half Spanish so was aware of how to go about running having done smaller village runs with Novillos (young bulls) and cows (very nasty cows bred for running, fighting). I made sure I was fit enough for the distance I had planned on running and stayed off the booze the night before and got an early night – which is the hardest part as the street party element there is amazing all week long – this is where a lot of people go wrong – doing the run having been up all night boozing.

Edukator
    Free Member

Just start commuting in to work on your bike.

warton
    Free Member

My dad did it many times in the 60’s. I will get over and do it one day. I think the ‘rules’ are fairly straightforward aren’t they? Run, don’t piss about trying to touch one of the bulls etc. are there any more?

Northwind

A chap in my old office phoned in sick…
    “What’s wrong, flu or something?”
    “No, I got trampled at the bullrunning”
    “What? By a bull?”
    “No, by a load of drunks”

hora
    Free Member

Just start commuting in to work on your bike.

I like your dark humour.

I saw a cyclist yesterday knocked over by a Honda CRV. TWO Police cars blocking/protecting the lane which was reassuring in one way. Luckily the lad was sat on a kerb near his bike just looking shaken.

DezB
    Free Member

I reckon La Tomatina would be a bit safer 🙂

([edit]than the bull running, not commuting)

Swelper
    Free Member

This maybe, horrowing account……

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpz22RpsgpI[/video]

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Charming stuff there…I usually struggle seeing a person being hurt on video like that…but I actually enjoy it when looking at videos of the bull running. I positively savour the suffering as a horn pierces skin and hopefully makes contact with a vital organ. 🙂

doug_basqueMTB.com

You can do it safely or try to make it the whole way / get close to the bulls. We have local friends from that area and don simon is right, tourists running (often drunk) are frowned upon as they don’t know the rules of which way to turn etc and end up blocking other people and causing them to get trampled. IMHO the party is better than the bull running anyway, you have to see that to believe it!

FWIW I had a guy once who ran with the bulls and then came here. Running the bulls was easy apparently but a lot of our singletrack scared him!

hora
    Free Member

I would NOT do it drunk. Drink relaxes me waaay too much. Sober with adrenaline/drink after 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah go on Hora, get proper ratarsed and do it1 And get someone to film it so we can all have a laugh! 😀

One good thing that might come out of it though; if hora’s as fast at running as he apparently is on a bike, then at least we won’t have to put up with ‘oh just bought a new bike and it’s no good’ type threads. 😉

Do it! Do it! Do it!

Ho-ra!
    Ho-ra!
    Ho-ra!
    Ho-ra!
    Ho-ra!
    Ho-ra!
    Ho-ra!
    Ho-ra!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Pamplona bull/Running of the bulls’ is closed to new replies.