Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Mabie or Dalbeattie?
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Heading down that way next Friday for ten days and wondered which has the better ‘off piste’ riding. I hope to get away for a quick blast on my own once or twice maybe in the evenings and whilst I’ve done the waymarked stuff a few times, would like to try the rest of what the forests have, if they had that sort of thing 😉 Anybody fancy a ride? Sure I can supply cake etc.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

You have come to the right place! The best man for the job is Trekster, but there are probably half a dozen people on here who could show you bits and pieces around here. All depends what you are looking to ride aswell- there is some natural riding away from the trail centres which tends to be more for scenery than technical riding, but we have some great scenery around here!

My preference will always be Mabie, but that’s just me- enough good off-piste riding to keep most people happy. If you are struggling for a guide I will show you some bits but not next weekend- I am in Yorkshire, would have to be an evening the following week?

Trekster

They are both good, all depends how vertical and rooty you like it 😈

By next Fri do you mean 8th or 15th?
    If 15th I could meet you after work(6.30) on 19th / 20th otherwise unless you know where they are and how to link them you will not get the best out of them.

If you drop in to the cafe and ask Jemma she might be able to hook you up with some of the others(Euan the mech and mates), Tues or Thurs tend to be the usual ride nights for the usual suspects, not many on here.
    I think Rik @ Drum and some of the locals up there do a night ride
    There are a few riders who know their way around Kirry, call the Breakpad and speak to Dave(mech) or Sam(owner)
    Defaultslipper is also a Mabie regular but been missing from action for a while 😉
    Davy_g from here or Doogs on the mtbe forum is also local to kirry

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ll be up for a ride round Mabie, I know most of Dalbeattie’s secrets (thanks to the Trekmeister), but don’t know the Mabie equivalent. I have probably rode most of it on one of the Mabie nightrides, but wouldn’t have a clue how to find it in the daylight!. If you’ll be there, John, count me in.

Word of warning, he’s a fit auld 8astard. I remember one of his nightrides going UP descender bender!.
    :mrgreen:

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

The verticaller(?) and rootier the better 😈
    We are heading down on the 15th, staying at one of the campsites (to be decided) near Kippford. The 19th and/or 20th should be fine for me. Failing that I’ll try and get out on a shop ride. I’ll probably go up to Kirry for a family ride at some point, just mentioned Mabie and dalbeattie as we’ll be staying so close to them.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Missing in action? Did 50km of riding at mabie last week finally found pipeline- got some free sausages off the guy who lives in the house down there! Trail off the back of the ridge was overgrown as you said- the other one down towards the dark side had 2 trees down but otherwise good. Everything else was riding well but dark wood no longer exists (at least not the bit I know).

Will keep an eye on this thread, Steve it sounds like you have a few offers.

And yes, john is quick on the climbs but quite happy to pootle around at normal speed!

Trekster

steven…can recommend Sandyhills, my grand kids love being able to dash down to the beach straight out of the caravan 😆 By beach I mean there is a fair bit of sand but more muddy stuff. Beware the fast flowing tides and quicksands tho.
    Castle Point is nice but very basic
    Kipford is big and busy
    Southerness will be full of Glasgow holidaymakers but has a new pool complex
    From Sandyhills there is a coatal pthe to Kipford via Portling and Rockcliffe. Could get family to meet you in Rockcliffe, nice rocky beach area with rockpools and a good cafe
    btw there are no organised “shop rides” as such, just informal, random groups. Plenty of good forest walks in Mabie with some new boardwalk sections around some of the ponds.

davy-g
    Free Member

John doesn’t have a normal speed… just a bloody fast one… 😀

Kirry has a fair bit of off piste trails, I will be available up to the 20th of this month, after that I will be off for a wee break down south..

Trekster

quick on the climbs

Not now, my good knee is knackered 🙄
    Anyway only faster than some buy slower than most 😉

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Nice one, always good to put mugs to handles 😀

Trekster

davy-g – Member
    John doesn’t have a normal speed… just a bloody fast one…

See above^^^^
    Faster than some only…
    Heading over to Walna Scar on 16th and guaranteed I will be slowest, riding with a bunch of 20/30 somethings 🙄

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Not another injury john? Has the wrist fixed itself yet?
    If you’re going for steep and rooty then sure you will be able to find something!

Is anybody heading over to 10 at kirry this weekend?

Trekster

Have`nt heard of anyone doing it, I will be elsewhere this and next weekend

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I did it last year solo, still not recovered.

Northwind

We got Trekster’s guided tour of Dalbeattie and it was a real treat, except for the bit where I bruised my ribs which I might still sue him for 😉 Such a different side to the place.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Trekster, do you have a preference for the Tuesday or Wednesday? Have no plans othet than we are heading down to Sandyhills tomorrow sometime.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Don’t know if these photos help but…

Mabie unplugged:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonralli/sets/72157624841022240/

More off piste Mabie
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonralli/sets/72157626131423395/

And in this now notorious video
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iMxtAmrjR0[/video]

A few off-piste Dalbeattie pics lurking in here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonralli/sets/72157622336609883/

scotabroad

I dont John, a few weeks down south and youve forgotten me already 🙄

Could oblige a ride round Mabie secrets this weekend but not next due to attendance to the Wickerman…..

Trekster

Will be home Monday pm, in lakes ATM. Pm me for mobile number. Wednesday eve would probably be best, night shift on Thurs eve. 6.30ish, Wed,Mabie.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Mabie or Dalbeattie?’ is closed to new replies.