Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Painting inside of non TR tyre with latex to reduce initial weeping?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

I had a helluva time a while back sealing some cheap non TR tyres when doing a split tube conversion.
    They kept deflating and weeping for several days until I upped the pressure and doubled the sealant which I later drained back.
    Someone suggested painting the inside with latex beforehand can help but on googling this there seems mixed opinions on whether it helps or not. Others suggest scrubbing the insides to remove mold release lubes and applying rubber cement or flex seal?
    Just wondered if people had experience with this issue and the best solution to get a tyre fully sealed fairly quickly…or is it really just a matter of time before they settle down ?
    I have latex ready but don’t want to waste my time if it doesn’t really help.
    Thanks in advance.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I tried it on some Continental tyres. I didn’t work – as soon as I put the tyre one the rim, bits of the latex peeled away from the tyre and that meant the seal was gone. There just wasn’t enough adhesion between the tyre and the latex for it to work after being manhandled.

You might never get them to work. The Continentals were on for a few months and never settled down, nor their predecessors which were a set of Clements. It’s not necessarily the non-tubelessness of them – I replaced the Contis with some £16 Bontragers and they sealed immediately – but the construction of the tyre.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

My co-worker did it successfully with white craft glue watered down a bit.

He had issues with weeping tyres, after that no issues whatsoever.

Cheers!
    I.

honourablegeorge

Conti actually recommend scrubbing the inside of their tyres with a brush and sealant prior to inflating.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Little correction, it was actually Universal 501 PVA bond:

Still similar to craft glue, that is PVA glue…

Cheers!
    I.

kaiser
    Free Member

Funny ..they were Conti’s that were the worst offenders. I’ve plenty of PVA etc so may try that or just scrub some sealant in beforehand ..looks a good idea anyhow.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I did my conti winter tires with pva . Worked well

sharkattack

I was going to recommend PVA but I didn’t want to sound mental. I did it years ago in the early days of tubeless when tyres and rims were useless and I was also skint.

Just mix it with water and brush it around the whole carcass and leave to dry.

garage-dweller

I’ve used art latex like that before. Seemed to work long enough but as noted above scrub in with a paint brush not paint on like doing gloss work.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I found latex separated from the tyre. Maybe I didn’t sand the surface enough. PVA sounds better.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Painting inside of non TR tyre with latex to reduce initial weeping?’ is closed to new replies.