Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Paint Removal…
  • RichBowman

Hi all,

Just having a think – getting a bit bored of the paint scheme on my bike, plus it’s looking a little tatty, and was thinking about getting it stripped and either clearcoating it, or powder coated.

It’s an Alu frame – so anything to avoid? Sand blasting/bead blasting sounds like the best way to remove it all, but wanted to garner opinion. Would it damage the frame/tubing at all?

Anyone tried this?

Cheers,

Rich

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah. I am currently in the process of doing this. Have a read:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stripping-paint-off-an-alu-frame-any-tips

The best advice I can give you, from the knowledge and experience I have now gained as a result of my endeavours, is:

Get someone else to do it!

Seriously though, if your paint is anywhere near as tough as the powdercoat on my frame, it will take bloody ages. Quite therapeutic mind, and I’m sure it’ll be extremely satisfying once it’s done.

If having it done professionally, make sure they either strip it chemically, or using a softer blasting medium like soda, as other stuff can damage aluminium. Take it to a good place that knows how to do alu bike frames.

RichBowman

Cheers for the link to the thread – my forum search skills need brushing up!

Will investigate companies in the SW London area that may do the soda blasting/dipping as that seems the way to go if I’m being soft and getting someone else to do it 😉

Plus, i need the bike everyday as it’s my (preferred) transport to work!

Keep it up with the ‘Dale – will keep my eyes peeled for updates.

Cheers again,

Rich

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Paint Removal…’ is closed to new replies.