Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Pain relief for bruised ribs?
  • Garry_Lager

Does anyone have good experiences with painkillers taking the edge off a rib injury?
    Have the Fred Whitton lined up in 7 days, and some poorly ribs (caused by the kids piling on top of me when I was folding away the family tent, ffs). It’s largely been bearable on the bike, but some days are painful, guess through sleeping badly on them.
    Wondering if a perscription painkiller would put a noticeable dent into it, without causing other problems for riding.

tjagain

Co codamol from the pharmacist should help. Dihydrocodine from your docs certainly will. However it could well affect your riding depending how sensitive you are to codeine. I couldn’t ride after taking dihydrocodine but Sky seem to manage quite well on tramadol!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1hr of your favourite comedy to persuade you that rest is the best option?

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

Used paracetamol together with ibuprofen for cracked ribs last year. They seemed to be much more effective together.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Sleep in an armchair for a few nights – it worked for me.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Paracetamol generally as needed. I wouldn’t go with codeine based stuff for too long as the ribs will probably hurt for months and that stuff is addictive.

Generally (having done ribs in so many time), it’s a pile of MTFU and learning to not aggravate it. Main issue after a while is just sleeping. Have to live with just sleeping on the back until it goes away (as I say, it takes months in my experience, unless it’s a minor bruising).

I found riding was usually okay but an odd twist of the body might give sharp ouch but goes away again.

Drac

that stuff is addictive.

It isn’t that’s why 1000s can take it for prolonged periods then stop.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sky seem to manage quite well on tramadol!

Beaten to it.

Last time I hurt my ribs I made it through the rest of the riding holiday with co-codamol & ibroprofen.

Was also given tramadol, which was very effective for the pain but did make me feel a bit spacey.

chakaping
    Free Member

that stuff is addictive.

It isn’t that’s why 1000s can take it for prolonged periods then stop.

I generally find I’ve had enough of it after about four days of constipation and woolly-headedness.

Really good for the acute pain you get after an operation or painful accident though.

grum
    Free Member

Drac I thought you were a paramedic? Codeine is an opiate and is definitely addictive.

Surely you should know this. 😕

Drac

I am so know that’s not how addiction works or everyone who took codiene or morphine would be a drug addict.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Well I’ve been given a whole pile of them over a few occasions and was advised several times by medical professionals to take care as they are addictive. No it’s not going to be hooked on just taking them short term. Daily for months is another matter.

That said, that was the stronger stuff, not over the counter.

Drac

They have many side effects they warn you about others too. I’m sure the Googlers will firing off details soon too but you need to understand what an addiction is. Addiction is people feeling good to replace something else, GPs will be cautios with anyone who is at risk of this.

You can’t buy codiene on it’s own over the counter in the UK.

shermer75
    Free Member

As above paracetamol and ibuprofen can be taken together for greater effect. The ones with codeine in will be stronger still but will leave you constipated so prob not advisable leading up to the race itself.

tjagain

Not able to buy codeine on its own? When did that change? Its years since I bought any but you used to be able to

Co codamol is addictive drac – just not very. You have to work quite hard / take large doses to be addicted but as an opiate it is addictive. All opiates are

Your definition of addiction is wrong as well. Addiction is when you get withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking them.

grum
    Free Member

I’m sure the Googlers will firing off details soon too but you need to understand what an addiction is.

You mean proving you wrong with facts from reputable sources? I could link to quite a few right now backing me up if you like.

I’d like you to try and find me one that agrees with you that codeine isn’t addictive.

I am so know that’s not how addiction works or everyone who took codiene or morphine would be a drug addict.

Things can be addictive without everyone who tries them automatically becoming addicted. Really what on earth are you on about? 😕

Drac

No I mean you don’t understand what addiction is.

Where can you buy codiene over the counter TJ?

An addiction is not being able to control your use of a substance to the point it cab do you harm.

tjagain

Grum / Drac

Here you go. BMJ good enough for you?

~

Conclusions Communication with patients should involve assessment of patient understanding of their medication, including the risk of dependence. There is a need to develop extra supports for professionals including patient screening tools for identifying codeine dependence. The support structure for managing codeine-dependent patients in primary care requires further examination.

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/7/e011725

The development of dependency on over the counter (OTC) drugs is often forgotten.1 In the past three months we have seen three patients with addictions to Nurofen plus (ibuprofen and codeine phosphate). All three had started using the product for its approved indications,

http://www.bmj.com/content/334/7600/917.3

Drac

Congratulations you’ve posted it has addictive qualities but missed the point of why people become addicted and why so many others don’t.

grum
    Free Member

it has addictive qualities

aka being addictive

tjagain

Drac – years ago you could in any pharmacy however this changes

and unfortunately its you who does not understand what addiction is. Codeine like any opioid is addictive. Its nothing like as addictive as injected or smoked diamorphine but there is no doubt at all it is addictive

A few more well referenced scholarly articles on it

Although codeine is a widely used medication, the problems of codeine abuse and dependence have not been well-studied

http://journals.lww.com/psychopharmacology/Abstract/1999/08000/Characteristics_of_Dependent_and_Nondependent.14.aspx

First of all, it may now be regarded as proved beyond doubt that codeine has addiction properties. ” Codeine addiction is certainly not a myth ” though addiction to it is much rarer than in the case of other opiates ………….The authors conclude with a paraphrase of a saying by Abraham Lincoln: ” Codeine addiction does not arise from the use of a bad thing but from the abuse of a very good thing.” E. W. Adams.

https://www.cabdirect.org/cabdirect/abstract/19402701723

tjagain

Drac – you claimed it was not addictive. It is

I suspect poor choice of words from you but your statement is simply wrong.

tjagain

A final one

Codeine and other medium-strength prescribed painkillers can cause dependency, which means that when you stop taking them you may feel unwell for a short period.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Pain/Pages/Whichpainkiller.aspx

chipster

Back to the op, 🙄
    I found Naproxen helped when I bruised ribs, last year. It’s prescription only. HTH.

Drac

Like pretty much anything from use of hard drugs, riding bikes or arguing on the internet some people get addicted. The better the feeling a person gets from these the more addicted they are to it. Addiction is just that a replacement for something else or to a hideaway from something rubbish. That’s why as I said some people become addicted to certain drugs when others don’t.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/addiction/Pages/addictionwhatisit.aspx

Why isn’t everyone who has has high grade heroin addicted to it but others who take shit quality are?

tjagain

Perfectly correct Drac and I get yo9ur point. However

Drac – Moderator

that stuff is addictive.

It isn’t that’s why 1000s can take it for prolonged periods then stop. [/quote]

Is simply wrong as the above refernces show.

I suspect you meant it has low potential for addiction which is correct.

Your understanding of addiction is also poor as you have made a series of incorrect statements. Addiction to opiates is nothing like arguing on the internet. It is a physical dependence with objectively measurable effects on the body.

Addiction is just that a replacement for something else or to a hideaway from something rubbish.

Is not true. thats a definition of drug abuse / use not of addiction. Addiction is when you get measurable withdrawal effects when you stop taking it.

~Enough said

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Used to be you could buy paracetamol + 30mg codeine in a chemist. Now it was only + 8mg last time I looked. This was for migraines.

Does anyone know why the change was made?

Drac

Codiene stops you breathing if you take too much.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Codeine was recommended as a brake for my IBS when it flairs and Imodium won’t work. Have to be very careful as it makes me extremely paranoid.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Most over the counter (pharmacy) co-codamol and ibuprofen with codeine have 12mg in. The stronger dihydrocodeine can only be found in paramol but that only has 7.4mg in.

Op if it were me, I’d be using ibuprofen and codeine on an as and when basis (but only for a very short period of time) and if no improvement get to your gp for something more suitable.

simondbarnes

I’d take 150mg of diclofenac and 180mg of codeine.

PiknMix
    Free Member

180mg of codeine.

😯 that’s way too much

jonba
    Free Member

This thread has has descended into a pointless argument. Shame as I came on here to post a witty remark which will now be lost. Anyway, they say laughter is the best medicine.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Speak to a GP or pharmacist is the best advice. Not listen to the advice from the Internet (even my rubbish advice, except this one. And I need to listen to my own advice not to listen to mine or other Internet advice also 😀 ).

Garry_Lager

Thanks for the replies – picked up some co-codamol today so will try it this week to see if it makes a difference.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

At the moment i have been prescribed tramedol paracetemol ibrufen and codeine.can take either tramedol or 60mg of codeine but not both. non of them are addictive and i should know as i have loads every day for the last 4 weeks. 😀

winterfold
    Free Member

I found riding my road bike with bruised ribs was fine with a few cocodamol and as long as I avoided steep hills.

What event did you say you were doing again?

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Don’t wake up in the night (as that’s when they hurt most) roll over, take ibuprofen and go back to sleep. Doing that for a week gave me a stomach ulcer which cancelled more rides than the bad ribs!

deadkenny
    Free Member

fallsoffalot – Member 
    non of them are addictive and i should know as i have loads every day for the last 4 weeks.

Read the packet. Codeine and Co-codamol packets I’ve got in the cupboard all state they are addictive and warn about the risks. Co-codamol does say it’s a low risk (obviously as it’s a lower dose mixed with Paracetamol), but then it also says there’s a risk of addiction if taken continually for more than 3 days. Tramadol is a little different as it’s not derived from opium but a synthetic drug that has a similar effect and while potentially addictive it’s a very low risk.

Thing is, as I understand it, it’s hard to recognise that you are addicted to it as you get tolerant to the effects. It may only be on stopping you notice withdrawal symptoms. Some get addicted by taking greater doses to relieve the pain as tolerance increases.

It’s not generally a risk to most people if sensible, but there are definitely cases of addiction of codeine based products and codeine is definitely classed as addictive by its very nature as an opiate drug. More than that, Codeine on it’s own is a class B drug (Tramadol as said is different, though it is a class C).

How addiction affects people is an individual thing of course.

emac65
    Free Member

It’s a bit like the addiction of not being able to let things go, like say on a MTB forum when a question is asked & they keep harping on & on & on about something that’s not really relevant to the question asked…. 😉
    Not really an addiction as such,but some people just can’t stop …

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Pain relief for bruised ribs?’ is closed to new replies.