Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Padded Saddle or Panty Liner?
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

ok, I tend to wear baggies, with padded undershorts, but the other day I was wondering, why padded shorts why not a better padding on your saddle?

How come all the thousands of pounds that are spent annually on saddle design have yet to manufacture a saddle that doesn’t require the rider to wear something close to sanitary padding?

Is it because it’s not fashionable to ride with a gurt big mattress of a saddle or that it woud be, heaven forbid, be heavier!?!

ton

i require no padding……..MTFU shandy pants.

joe1983
    Free Member

Ton, correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t I remember you putting me off my dinner by chatting about the two callous like hard patches of skin on your ass cheeks?! Padding all the way!!

Stoner
    Free Member

unsprung weight?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MrNUtt – I have puzzled about this – I have tried a few combinations of things and what works best for me is ordinary cotton underwear and a well padded saddle.

I think the hard saddle and padded shorts is more officiant for pedalling ( as you don’t get the lost energy in squishing the seat padding)so is goood for serious racers and the rest is just fashion

I did a solo 24 hr with a well padded saddle and cotton kecks with absolutely zero botty pain. I hate the feel of lycra next to my skin and find it holds sweat and I dont get the nice cooling breeze.

ton

joe, that is why i need no padding 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

my preference is for the endura cotton knickers with a little bit of padding. Collmax I think they call them. Far better than lycra. Less syntheic and under baggies they are very comfortable and in all my riding Ive never had a botty problem including the pompino trip.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

I’m with Ton …arse like leather, baggy shorts and nowt else.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Just to through a bit of a spanner in the works in recent weeks I’ve been playing around with saddle position and have found getting that dialled make a big difference to comfort levels – especially over the 2hour mark – that said I have always used padded cycling shorts and prefer a harder saddle

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Can’t stand squishy padded saddles- they don’t support your pelvic bones propply, and are a nightmare for long rides.

I just wear normal pants for most rides, but padded undershorts/lycra with chammy are better for longer rides, speshly in sweaty summer. Less chafing, and better moisture transfer.

Pants= closer fitting briefs. Boxers dont hold yer cobbly bobblers in place well enough, and you run the risk of a squashed plum. Plus, they can crease up, and cause all sorts of grief.

joe1983
    Free Member

defo tighty whiteys and padded shorts, don’t like squirmy saddles and went out for a 25 miler the other day in loose boxers and ended up in all sorts of trouble

oh and ton, fair enough mate! I have enough trouble without having to explain my calloused ass to my next fling!

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Brooks saddle (well broken in and maintained)
    Chocolate Fish merino boxers and Altura trousers.

Lack of seams, a saddle that fits and supports your sit-bones with out squishing stuff are the crucial points. Excess padding, fancy groves and weird rubber bumpers might help but its a wild stab in the dark.

Specialized ar5e fitting is one of the few good systems out there as it measures your sit bone width and guides you to a suitable width saddle for your body / riding.

SSP

spooky_b329

I always used to wear baggys with padded liners, bought some lycra padded shorts a while back and then started wearing them under the baggys occasionally, found them much better. So much so that I haven’t used the old liners for about 6 months.

I can’t stand a well padded saddle, its the wrong shape. I’ve just gone from a WTB Pure/Rocket V which have a bit of squish to the Charge Spoon which is pretty hard. So comfy I promptly bought another Spoon for the other bike 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My kecks dont have seams where I sit. My well padded saddle supports on the sit bones and puts no pressure anywhere else. Dead comfy. wearing lycra led me to severe problems with skin infections

I have been measured for a SBG saddle and bought one. Not ridden it enough yet to be sure – its probably the most comfy hard saddle I have tried but the jury is still out – I need to ride it more

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

Both!!

onandon
    Free Member

i only ever used regular shorts and a nice saddle like a Selle SLR or Fizik, no padding necessary

must have a fat arse

cinnamon_girl

Waves to MrNutt!

Minimalist undies and minimalist saddle for me.

Saddle sores can happen due to other choice of clothing in the wrong conditions 😳

crispybacon
    Free Member

Minimalist undies and minimalist saddle for me.

pics please? 😉

Here you go Mr Nutt get your ‘err nuts on this one

be brave & go commando 😆

MrNutt
    Free Member

crispy bacon – Member

Here you go Mr Nutt get your ‘err nuts on this one

be brave & go commando

that adds a whole new dimension to the term “aero tuck” 😆

crispybacon
    Free Member

that adds a whole new dimension to the term “aero tuck”

I think in the trade it goes by the name of the ‘Farmer Giles’ special 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Padded Saddle or Panty Liner?’ is closed to new replies.