Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Pace RC529, any owners around?
  • momo

Afternoon, I’ve pretty much come to terms with letting my Hightower go and consolidating down to a single MTB, I was pretty set on a Cotic Solaris Max to replace my Tarn, but it looks like they’re not restocking in the dark metal colour and the other options just aren’t floating my boat.

The RC529 has piqued my interest, love the blue colour, geo looks great.

Just hoping for some feedback from owners or people who’ve ridden one (especially if you’ve also tried the Cotic or new SC Chameleon (this is my fall back option, I’d be able to run my 36s too, rather than the 34 Rhythm from the Tarn)), has anyone tried B+ wheels? Has Pace’s QA improved?

Thanks

bungalistic
    Free Member

There’s an owners group on facebook here Pace RC627 / RC529 maybe they could answer some of your questions.

momo

Requested membership, thanks for the link!

superstu
    Free Member

Guy Kevesten did his normal YouTube review and think it was positive, but it’s behind a paywall (fair enough) – might be worth checking out? Other reviews are thin on the ground.

Blackflag
    Free Member

I have the RC129 and its a truly formidable bike. Use it for trail centre type riding and it leaves my riding buddies for dead, its so stable and its like the bike is saying “is that all you’ve got? push harder” climbs very well too.

BUT – I also have a hightower and if im heading to my usual riding spots (Peak District) i would take that over the hardtail any day of the week. Its so much more forgiving over rocks etc.

So if your riding isnt too rocky then you wont regret getting the Pace, but if it is id stick with the Hightower.

geolog
    Free Member

Just bought the new chameleon and can highly recommend – playful and capable. It got me safely down some of my local DH trails with almost as much grace as a full suss.

Have previously owned a Pace hardtail (RC325.5) in the days before aggressive geo, but it was equally as capable and I highly regret selling a couple of years back!

gigawhat
    Free Member

rc529 review

TheGhost
    Free Member

I have the Chameleon and have had the 1st Solaris Max, and now also have a Pace RC627.

I ran the Chameleon 27.5plus and 29

I am running the Pace semi plus 27.5 with 2.6s

The Pace climbs and decends better than the Chameleon which I didn’t expect. I am on a XL frame and the geo is almost identical between the Pace and the SC. The pace is slacker at the head and steeper at the seat.

The chameleon is awesome, especially the short chainstays, but I think you want to run 140mm to get the best from it. This, unfortunately makes the seat angle a bit slack for climbing though. Also the headtubes are short ish with an internal headset so its hard to get the bars high enough if you are tall.
    Finally, my 2019 frame has a maximum seatpost insertion depth of 215mm so I couldn’t use a fox transfer 150mm dropper. This can be overcome by using a oneup dropper instead though.

I had brilliant service from Pace when I bought my RC 627frame if that helps. On balance I also had brilliant backup from Santa Cruz Uk.

momo

Thanks for the feedback.

@TheGhost
    have you tried the 2.8s in the 627? I have seen that this is the frame pace recommend for B+, I might have to settle on one wheel size!

TheGhost
    Free Member

@Momo I put a 2.8 in the frame to take a look when it arrived. For reference it was a 2.8 Maxxis DHR2 on a DT Swiss 551 40mm internal rim.

With the dropouts all the way in, so the chainstays are shortest, the 2.8s fit but only just. I’d say they are boarderline. You would need to move the dropouts back to get enough clearance. Pace say the frame is designed around 2.6 which is what I’m running on 35mm internal rims. I get about 5mm clearance at the seatstays and a little more at the chain stays with a Hans Damphf 2 , so just enough.

I haven’t wound the dropouts back to see how much more clearence I’ll get.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve just done exactly the same thing (sold Hightower frame and replaced with RC529). I loved my Hightower, but I also have a Scott Spark that does me for longer days out.

Always wanted a decent steel hardtail, so this seemed like the perfect bike (ticked all my boxes). I’ve had a couple of rides on mine so far and honestly, it’s a banger!

Feels very direct under pedaling, chuckable even with the dropouts in the longest position. It’s also the most confident I’ve ever felt when jumping on this bike (nervous jumper). Sometimes, I tend to forget I’m riding a hardtail when I go crashing into rocks, so bear that in mind 🙂

For the price, I think they are really good. My missus bought an RC127+ after I built mine up!

They are rated for 130-150mm fork (they ship full builds with 140mm). I run mine with a 150mm Pike and was set to reduce it to 140mm. It pedals and handles so well, I’m going to keep it at 150mm and maybe convert to coil.

I have a 2.35 Nobby Nic on the rear and the clearance was a little close on the seat tube with the dropouts forward. I tried them in the most rear position and could easilly fit my hand behind the tyre (big hands!). Oh and my wheels are 27mm internal width.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I’m running a 150mm fox 36 on my 627 and its great.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I had brilliant service from Pace when I bought my RC 627frame if that helps.

Of course you did, they wanted your money.

I’ll be all your fault if something goes wrong though.

danreilly
    Free Member

Just building my 529 up. It’s huge!

Looks the bollocks though.

kaboom
    Free Member

Hello,

Any update from momo or Dan on there 529 builds. I’m trying to weight up between Solaris and 529.

Reviewed for the pace are hard to find.

Cheers

dickydutch

Good thread timing. I have a Hightower too (though I’m not selling it) and took both the 627 and 529 for test rides back to back a week or so back. Previously I had almost just bought the 529 on what I’d read and what I assumed I wanted. After having ridden the 627 though, I was a convert. Not sure why as geometry is pretty much identical, bar a 1deg diff in head angle but it felt much more ‘fun’. (Rowdy I think they call it now).

Not sure how far you are from Dalby Bike Barn but worth a test ride I would say. They also go to plenty of events so sure you could catch them somewhere more local if that’s the case.

xlscc
    Free Member

my 2019 frame has a maximum seatpost insertion depth of 215mm so I couldn’t use a fox transfer 150mm dropper. This can be overcome by using a oneup dropper instead though.

@TheGhost

What size is your Chameleon frame? My XL will take 320mm of max seatpost, which is plenty for the internal 150mm Fox Transfer (IIRC it needs about 280mm of depth)

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

It’s like listening to Fred Dibnah on a mountain bike.

TheGhost
    Free Member

@xlscc

Is your Chameleon one of the Olive frames? because they work fine. Thats what I had first until it cracked at the dropout.

Its the 2018/19 frames in Orange and Slate Blue that have a 215mm max insertion depth. I received one as a warranty replacement which was great until I couldn’t fit my dropper in and had to buy a new one. SC confirmed the 215mm max insertion.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Well, I ended up selling my frame on to a chap on here just because I decided that I just don’t get on with hardtails for rocky/chunky stuff.

It was the best hardtail I’ve ever ridden though! Best climbing bike I’ve ever had and very stable and fast on smooth, flowy descents.

Missus was of the same mindset and is still flogging her Pace 127+ boost frame. She ended up with a Marin B-17 3.

danreilly
    Free Member

I picked up a 529 (came from a 26er HT) and It’s kin ace- especially going downhill. Dunno how much of that is down to the geo and how much to the wheel size but it’s a bit of a beast. Climbs pretty well as well.

danreilly
    Free Member

Didn’t realise I’d already been on this thread- I’m happy with it.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Pace RC529, any owners around?’ is closed to new replies.