• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by 2tyred.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Oxford – local knowledge required!
  • 2tyred

Spending the day in Oxford on Friday – will be driving down from Up North, arriving probably before 9.

Doesn’t look the best place for parking, so figured park and ride- from the outskirts would be the way to go.

Anyone local know the best option to go for?

Never been before, can’t really picture how big Oxford is.

Cheers!

JasonDS

Westgate, well priced too for a shopping centre.

WildHunter2009

Use whichever of the Park n Rides is closest to your route. Oxfords a sod to drive in so just dont bother.

savoyad

Peartree is best P&R from the North.

ashmonkey
    Free Member

Yep, they don’t like cars so park and ride will get you most places

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Someone more local than me will be along shortly hopefully. But, yes to park and ride – parking is very tricky in the middle of town and P&R easy enough. That said I only properly know the ones coming in from the South Side, but Pear Tree Park and Ride should be fine.
    Most of Oxford is really easy on foot once you’re in the centre – all the colleges, museums, libraries, famous boozers all within easy reach of town centre.
    Only commonly visited part that’s a good way out is the Cowley road, the ‘edgey’ bit of town where music venues, interesting food etc is to be found.
    Bodleian Library, Pitt Rivers/Natural History museum, Ashmolean for museums etc Don’t know many pubs sadly, but Turf Tavern is great and Eagle and Child is the JRR Tolkein pub.

DrJ

The Bear and the King’s Arms are 2 more old pubs filled with braying students during term time.

BillMC

Eagle and Child is closed. Don’t miss the Pitt-Rivers, particularly if you have kids, Kings Arms does good beer and good food, Merton college has the best bells (every 15 minutes (roughly)) and great chapel if you can get in.

2tyred

Exactly the sort of stuff I needed to know – thanks all!

poolman
    Free Member

Top tip, remember which park and ride you used, we didn’t and had to ask bus driver by describing it.

Walking tour was fab, I usually hate that sort of thing but enjoyed it.

Loads of indie coffee shops, just ask locals on here.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Natural History Museum for Dinosaurs. It leads into the Pitt Rivers.

0T0A1943

fabricedelcampo

As an ex local this would be the walking route I’d do. If coming M40 then A34 I’d use Oxford Parkway park and ride (frequent buses). I’d recommend getting off at the stop just before St Giles (opposite Little Clarendon Street). Walk down Keble Road, right along Parks Road (Pitts Rivers / University Museum). I’d recommend The Kings Arms on the corner (best to sit in the snug at the back for atmosphere) to Catte Street (Bridge of Sighs), down Queen’s Lane to the High Street, across to Magpie Lane, right along Merton Street back to the High St, right then left past St Mary’s church, left down Brasenose Lane to covered market, out along Cornmarket towards The Ashmolean Museum and back to St Giles. Sounds complicated but have a look at Google Maps. Takes maybe an hour normal walking speed. You’ll see a lot of recognizable places. Oxford city centre really isn’t that big. Have a great day.

jkomo

That sounds like a good plan above.
    What’s your visit for, who is coming?

2tyred

Perfect, thanks all!

Down for uni open day with Tyred Jr, not sure how much museum or pub time there’ll be but good to know what’s there.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.