Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Oxford/Culham/Abingdon/Didcot – What do i need to know?
  • petec
    Free Member

Did a lovely 50km cycle off road yesterday from Streatley and back. Up the ridgeway, and then south to peasemore and around. Probably 5km on roads (and that was in Streatley). As mentioned, not a lot of mountains, but short sharp tracks. Few ruts – as mentioned – but an awful lot of wide tracks, and then singletrack through the woods. Despite it being a superb autumnal day, there was – i think – 4-5 other cyclist that i saw. Few walkers of course

The on road cycling – i think – is better in the berkshire downs than the chilterns. Some of the hills can be bruter; straight up, straight down into the next valley, then up the other side again. The chilterns is a lot busier than it used, with packs from marlow/henley/etc cycling clubs. But again, you can go on the quieter roads. Get decent tyres though, these quieter roads have an awful lot of very small, very sharp flints.

weeksy

Did a lovely 50km cycle off road yesterday from Streatley and back. Up the ridgeway, and then south to peasemore and around

Where was my PM 🙂

petec
    Free Member

Sorry @weeksy – spontaneous – and went a lot further than anticipated as such a nice day.

weeksy

LOL it’s OK matey, i was mostly kidding…. but if you’re about and that way, i’m often free for a ride 🙂

inkster
    Free Member

The bridleway going west from Park Corner, following the Chiltern way xtn. is great, bluebells aplenty in spring, great early autumn following a single tyre line through the leaves. Exit through a hole in the bushes into a farm yard then turn left towards Nuffield and you can join Grimms Ditch. Proper singletrack heaven for me.

It’s very much old school xc riding but you’re riding on very old school trails, meny of which have been there since the bronze age and feel like they haven’t changed much in all that time. The river crossing at Wallingford was the crossroads of England in Roman and Viking times and if you let yourself you can feel connected to that history as your scooting around.

alchiltern
    Free Member

I’m also Wallingford area, not much to add apart from the ridgeway East from wally to the bottom of grims ditch (going both ways) is great tight single track, there’s some fun but short trails around Collins end, heading to Pang, then the river path back (best late or when dark, less walkers).

Lastly, if you’re into it, there are some superb pubs tucked away in the chilterns and Berkshire Downs. Everything from a downright superb multi course meal through to beer straight from the barrel at pubs that haven’t changed in a century.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Quite right Inkster – this time of year when it’s dry and hard that’s the other great stretch.
    My go-to loop is up Clacks Lane past Grundon, then off-road climb through Ewelme park, cross to Cookley, down to edge of Warburg, climb up to Park Corner, down chiltern way, across to pick up Grims at top of bridleway section.

Might do it Friday once kids are at school.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Oxford/Culham/Abingdon/Didcot – What do i need to know?’ is closed to new replies.