Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Owt to do off the beaten track in Orlando
  • dannybgoode

So the big holiday is nearly upon us and whilst much of the time will be spent in the big parks and Kennedy is there anything interesting to do off piste so to speak? Preferably something that a 7 1/2 yo lad would enjoy as well but if I have to sneak off I will do!

TiRed

I went to the shooting gallery to use a hand gun. Was rather good ($50 for 50 rounds with a Glock). Fortunately I had the site to myself. When the machine gun went off it was pretty loud. And I was outside then! Think the minimum age is 12 and you need your passport. It’s next to the Orange County correction facility.

Then I went for a swim in the spring public park north of Orlando. That was also excellent.

ab1970
    Free Member

I’ve enjoyed swimming with manatees when I’ve been in Orlando. Early start and an a couple of hours drive from Orlando, but I’d recommend. https://www.riverventures.com is good.

pondo

I went to the shooting gallery to use a hand gun. 

+1 for The Shooting Gallery – we went there on Tuesday on TiRed’s recommendation and it was ace! If you got the cash, they have lots of machinery to play – really sound blokes, and they were very tickled that we heard about them from a UK MTB forum. 🙂 We went all Martin Riggs with a Beretta 9mm, great fun. 🙂

mattyfez

I remember Venice beach being really nice, but that was about 30 years ago.

No idea what it’s like now.

supernova

Alligator world (fantastic low rent attraction, had more fun there than Disney).
    Science museum in Orlando.
    Manatee hovercraft trip.
    Playing with guns is borderline psychopathic.

konagirl
    Free Member

Swimming / kayaking with manatees in Crystal River.

Watersports.

Loads of outdoors stuff.

things to do in Florida

Kryton57

I’m not if I find the joy of the gun thing a little controversial.  It is after all a killing device.

Anyway, my experience of four days in Orlando reveals you need a car or at least put Uber on your phone.  I did enjoy a V8 taxi.  Shopping malls are fun, bigger, less crowded than the UK and kids clothes are very cheap.

pondo

Manatee hovercraft trip.
    Playing with guns is borderline psychopathic.

Mmm, no. Taking a hovercraft to see manatee is, however.

voodoo_chile

+1 for shooting gallery…. Did u bring ur poster target home! 😂.. Not a nice part of Orlando but in and out

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not if I find the joy of the gun thing a little controversial. It is after all a killing device.

It doesn’t have to be. I shot a .22 handgun which was not much more than a target shooting game, just more dangerous than an airgun. Just like archery or something. It doesn’t have to be about swagger.

sobriety
    Free Member

If sir and Junior are into old aircraft then fantasy of flight could be good fun, it’s about 40 minutes away.

Speeder

Not sure on what age you can do it and it’s damn expensive but the indoor sky diving is great.

pondo

Did u bring ur poster target home! 

Absolutely! 🙂

I post below a link to a similar thread that we found really useful, lots of good info albeit some of it further afield than Orlando, hope it’s useful. 🙂

Things to do in Florida

TiRed

Glad you had a good time. Whatever your views on guns, a visit to the Shooting Gallery is educational.

And what other original Olympic sports are illegal to partake in within the U.K.?

ajaj
    Free Member

I wandered over to the flight school at the airport and they let me take a light aircraft and an instructor out for a couple of hours sightseeing, The US air force were very accomodating and let us fly the length of the shuttle landing facility at 500ft.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Kayaking and Trekking in Wekiva. Paddleboard Orlando.
    Both low cost and amazing, esp for a young lad!

boomerlives
    Free Member

Fantasy of Flight was closed when we were there last; check times.

We went to a swimming cave which was gorgeous. Can’t recall the name, though!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Owt to do off the beaten track in Orlando’ is closed to new replies.