Home Forums Chat Forum Oven in a corner of the kitchen?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Oven in a corner of the kitchen?
  • Eddiethegent

I’m thinking about building a partition wall in my kitchen to create a corridor to a side room. The problem is the new wall will have to go right next to the gas double oven, effectively putting it in the corner of the room.

I’ve checked the installation instructions and while there don’t seem to be any concerns with the safe operation of the oven it does suggest leaving a gap of 90mm to prevent heat damage to the wall (from hot air coming out of the front of the oven when the door is open).

I’d rather not lose 90mm from the width of the corridor so how about I tile the wall next to oven door? Will this protect the structure of the wall underneath?

Anyone know about the thermal conductivity characteristics of a domestic ceramic tile?

andyl
    Free Member

Ceramic tiles or something like a stainless steel sheet (like a splashback) should work fine. You could also go with tempered glass, also like a splashback.

stevextc
    Free Member

Ceramic tile is to some intents ceramic tile … obviously quality differs and there are 5 grades (from memory) where 1 is light domestic and 5 is heavy industrial – prices are not unreasonable for the industrial .. I used grade 4 on my kitchen and its incredibly strong … takes forever for the underfloor heating and when it does the heat is very localised (you can see where the coils are if its wet) … so it’s insulating well

I’d imagine the lower the micro-porosity the better the thermal insulation but we are talking about a material used as heat shields on the space shuttle …

Instead of using plasterboard for the partition you can also use cement board (cuts with a knife) or the silica stuff.(nasty to cut – best done outdoors with a mask).. which is rated fireproof and you can use to line fireplaces. Tiles stick to it no problem, I used the thin cement board in a bathroom to tile on top of as I didn’t want to raise the floor… but they do 9mm and 22mm from memory

Both are also waterproof which is always good in a kitchen.

Cougar

Has it been naughty?

Eddiethegent

Well it is threatening to burn my house down!

Thinking about it, if tiles are adequate around the back of a gas hob on full blast then they have got to be good enough around the side of my oven.

Might still swap out the plasterboard for something else though.

stevextc
    Free Member

Might still swap out the plasterboard for something else though.

Was looking for a link … I bought it at the tile shop .. it’s a really insulating type material … (and fire proof) but its nasty stuff to cut healthwise (not a big deal if you wear a mask and do it outside)

Wasn’t all that much more expensive than plasterboard either… and it doesn’t sound like you’d need a lot…

If you used this you wouldn’t need to actually tile it…. but obviously you couldn’t just skim and paint (or the plaster would dry up and/or paint peel) so you’d need something cosmetically… but that could be steel/glass splashback, etc. etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Oven in a corner of the kitchen?’ is closed to new replies.