Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Outlaw King
  • redmex
    Free Member

Thats me never dare to eat a king edward tattie again and why edward is not a common name o’er the border.

Great spotting all the castles and viewpoints between too much blood and gore

fasthaggis

Aye,it was an alright film that.

Ashamed to say I was ignorant of a lot of Bruce’s story.

legend
    Free Member

Nice spider reference too

lovewookie

Decent film, not a hollywood stylised film, ‘chibtastic’ was a phrase I heard used for it.

Chris pine is a braver man than me for emerging from a cold scottish burn for a full frontal. I’d have asked for a prosthetic leg. 😉

Nice to recognise some of the filming locations too. Good memories of navigating my way around film crews in mugdock.

pinetree
    Free Member

Nice spider reference too

I watched it last night and noticed that too – nice touch. Though I really showed my ignorance of Bruce’s story when I asked my wife (who has a great deal more historical knowledge than me)  “was that a reference to the spider in the cave, that wrote him a message or something”

She says – “That’s Charlotte’s Web you’re thinking of, dear”

“Oh. Right”

I have no idea how historically accurate the film was (am I right in thinking they missed out Bannockburn?) and it certainly paints the english as villains, while showing the scots to be civilized dignified folk. I can’t honestly believe that was the case – everyone was a bastard back then. Some more than others, but there certainly weren’t many saints around.

legend
    Free Member

Good memories of navigating my way around film crews in mugdock.

ah ffs – going to have to watch it again now!

am I right in thinking they missed out Bannockburn?

Not missed, it just doesn’t go that far

while showing the scots to be civilized dignified folk. I can’t honestly believe that was the case – everyone was a bastard back then.

Did you miss the bit where Scots were ambushing and slaughtering Scots?

richmtb

Yes I enjoyed it.

Must admit I was shamefully ignorant too, I did spot the spider reference though!

A quick read round wikipedia suggests it was pretty historically accurate with the exception of someone turning up to fight in the final battle who shouldn’t have been there.

But yes recommended

rene59
    Free Member

I quite enjoyed it. Wasn’t expecting much with it being a Netflix film, most so far have been more so so than actually good. Hope this is a turning point for their own movies. By ending the film at the battle they did, there is plenty left in the story for a sequel.

DickBarton

Mate was an extra in it and the stuff he was telling us was very interesting…Nothing juicy, just about them trying to make everything as authentic as they could.

Not seen it as don’t have Netflix but hoping to see it at some point.

Murray

Just finished watching it. Very enjoyable, nice to see the royals of the time covered in dirt.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I saw it pop up on the Netflix over the weekend. Given your comment above, I will certainly be checking it out.

What is the spider reference to then?

I’ve fallen in love with Scotland over the last few years and will be emigrating up to the Highlands in the spring, can’t hurt to get some history in before hand.

funkmasterp

I have it on my list and might have to watch it now. I must admit I’m ignorant as to the history of it all. Will do some reading up before or after watching.

rs
    Free Member

The best thing about it is… the mad Douglas guy is kickass 🙂

rone

<b>D</b>avid Mackenzie is a terrific Director. He did Hell or High Water – with Chris Pine. Mackenzie is Scottish.

Looking forward to this.

If you want another decent ‘Netflix’ film then check out The Land of Steady Habits. Great cast.

Caher

Saw it last Friday as I was looking forward to it. Pretty good. The only slight gripe was the casting of Edward 1st – he was supposed to be incredibly intimidating in his time. 6’2″ with a mean temper and very wily, the real Machiavellian prince

Waderider
    Free Member

Three word review:

“Tesco Value Braveheart”.

I can’t believe folk saw the same film as me going by the preceding comments. Are you folks all Scotophiles wearing blinkers? Weak ending, preceded by a weak middle and weak start. The film was propped up by the same violence and choreographed dancing with weapons as the rest of the genre. Which is fine, you need to have battles, but what else was there? It was formulaic and forgettable.

And the laziness of it. Tracks with 4×4 wheel ruts, modern commercial forestry plantations, modern houses I recognise in the distance that could have be edited out if someone had made an effort. Watch it again for the scene where Robert mounts the horse of the English Soldier he has just slain – perhaps the first skirmish – I think our pantomine horses in primary school were more believable.

Having just rejoined netflix for winter I’m doubting my wisdom.

Yours

A Fort William dwelling SNP voter who should like this sort of thing.

legend
    Free Member

he was supposed to be incredibly intimidating in his time. 6’2″ with a mean temper and very wily, the real Machiavellian prince

Possibly trying to stay away from the Braveheart version?

epicyclo

Waderider

…I can’t believe folk saw the same film as me going by the preceding comments…

I mainly agree. It had potential, and I suspect that the problem may be too much of the film ending up on the cutting room floor.

The gory bits were well done though. The charge of the knights gives a pretty good impression of how frightening it must have been to face them.

I did like where the film makes the distinction between Bruce being King of Scots as opposed to King of Scotland, a reference to the right of the Scots to depose or pick who should be their king.

The film did not do King Edward 1 justice IMO. He is arguably the greatest of the English warrior kings. We are lucky he died when he did (in actuality, not the film).

I suspect the film is more like a lengthy pilot for a future serial than a standalone.

athgray
    Free Member

Gave it a watch at the weekend. I thought it had a bargain basement feel to it and lacked an epic scale. I thought Chris Pine was decent enough and his accent better than passable. I quite liked that the film culminated at the Battle Of Loudon Hill and not Bannockburn, and I thought the final battle was well done and probably chewed up most of the budget. Another highlight was the demonstration of Warwolf. That must have been a scary trebuchet in its day.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Outlaw King’ is closed to new replies.