Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Outdoor log storage shelter thingies. What have you got? How to build etc?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

I’ve been asked to build an outdoor log shelter for a someone who has just had a log burner installed in her home. I’m presuming it’ll just be up against her side garage wall. Does anyone have any ideas or pictures of their log storage solutions to give me inspiration? I don’t think it has to be anything too flashy. Also what timber would be best to use? Many thanks.

crankboy
    Free Member

I can’t link to photobucket without some annoying BMW add strobe effect but basically mine is made out of pallets for the base a series of scrap wood uprights and topped with a sloping ply roof covered with left over roofing rubber the roof has some wooden battens around the edges and cross ways the resulting shallow trays have a gravel poor soil mix into which I have planted sedums and wildflowers . The exposed face has old pondliner curtains to keep driven rain off the wood.

The pallets keep the wood off the ground the roof keeps the weather off the shonky structure let’s the air flow through.

muenchen1
    Free Member

Recycled pallet solution: Lowest cost solution I have used is to get some pallets, ideally of the equal size. Put one down as the base then strip (hacksaw the nails as usually end up destroying the wood trying to remove the nails) four others to just leave the flat part the pallet ( where the ‘contents’ is normally placed). Use these four to make three sides and a roof. Screw together, cover roof with felt. I let the pallet dimensions drive the size of the store, my neighbour chose to strip his pallets completly and use the planks to make exact size he wanted, plus then painted them with fence paint.
    I did originally rapid build a pallet woodstore using five whole pallets lashed together with old inner tubes- quick and dirty but got the wood stashed and lasted a winter.

Drac

Pallets here.

2 as a base the side made of pallets 1 pallet upended in height along the side with the inner planks removed, the roof is well you guessed pallets with the inner planks removed and some roof felt on the top.

Works fine.

samuri
    Free Member

Pallets down on floor, fence panels for the sides and roof, felt on top.

I made this one entirely from scrap wood. It has a plastic sheeting roof nailed on now too.

You should look at ski’s from these parts though, his are great.

Wood Store by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

sweepy
    Free Member

Few old pallets bashed together and corrugated bitumen on top, any overspill gets stacked along the fence. Coal fire these days so dont need much.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Assuming you have to buy the pallets, how much do they tend to cost?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Get down your local industrial estate on a sunday, usually loads of them stacked up to be chucked because they’ve got 1 broken slat.

samuri
    Free Member

You shouldn’t. You should see plenty stacked up on building sites, lorry parks and dead ends.

That said, I struggled but then a few turned up at house renovation round the corner.
    They even dropped them off for me.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Who was the chap on here who built the triangular folding ones..they were ace.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Buying pallets! Steady on! 😉

As said above, it doesn’t have to be expensive, as long as it’s fairly covered and gets a breeze through. Have a look at gumtree for suggestions, then laugh out loudly at the prices.

samuri
    Free Member

Who was the chap on here who built the triangular folding ones..they were ace.

Ski

choppersquad
    Free Member

Some good ideas on here. The order of the day seems to be keep them off the floor to stop damp and keep them dry with a good airflow? How long do you tend to have to leave them to season, or does it depend on the type of wood?

Stoner
    Free Member

+1 for ski’s folding triangles, Very neat.

Here’s one of my woodshed building/cake baking threads. With enough photos to get an idea of construction technique.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/time-for-another-woodshed-oh-go-on-then

and a “pole barn” style one in the field

djflexure

Love these woodshed threads. Accumulated a few palets and about to start. Cut down two 15m conifers today: house still intact – celebrating with bottle of Pinot Noir, Chinese to follow (odd combination accepted).

mcmoonter
    Free Member

If she is a special laydee, maybe something along these lines will float her boat.

I used telegraph poles, scaffold boards and salvaged slates.

This one was made from our old water tank with drain and vent holes cut into it.

A woodshed doesn’t need to fancy. Use what you can find and get creative.

STW woodshed thread law states, you must post pics of how it turns out, and if possible updates of the building process. Good luck.

Stoner
    Free Member

Mcmoonter. That venting. Didnt I see a jumper with that design on it? 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pete, have you ever tried dry stane dyking?. You really should!.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Dry stone dyking you say?

I did this repair for my sister in France.

ski
    Free Member

Mc how is that wood getting on compared to your other stores?

My Holz Miete store got raided by local livestock, so had to be rebuilt, but seemed to be working and no sign of rot?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Mc how is that wood getting on compared to your other stores?

The wood in the slated shed has been there since 2009. I stacked it to well to burn it. I’ve not tried anything from the water tank either. I’ve not got a moisture meter either.

Shame about your Holz Hausen.

Joshvegas and I built a second one.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113038090087066024057/STWHolzHausenDay?noredirect=1

Stoner – I chose a pattern from my extensive collection of Geordie Jumpers.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOJzPXzcF_g&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

organic355
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

Geordie Jumpers. Excellent
    Was that Will Self with a ‘tache?

righog
    Free Member

Ha, Geordie Jumpers 😀 never seen that before.

When younger I wore nothing but Geordie jeans ( and some stuff from flip)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kX85QqzrXO0[/video]

EDIT : Hoping to have something to post re, Wood store soon !

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ifor williams truck top off my land rover making a make shift for the extra cube of fire wood i got in for this winter… The other shed takes 2.5 cubes and is rammed already with rusty macs house interior renovation waste wood.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I had no idea there was such a large “firewood based” following on here. Some really nice photos of stuff. Will try to upload some pictures of the finished article which will no doubt fall short of all your examples.

footflaps

Wood burning stoves are the new Agas, even had an article in the Sunday Times today on their ascension to middle class must have.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lol middle class.

Im about as middle class as my next door neighbour…. Its a council house 😉

My redneck 4×4 and my scrap landrover on the rear lawn detract fully from my middle class log burner and choice to cycle to work 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Outdoor log storage shelter thingies. What have you got? How to build etc?’ is closed to new replies.