Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Outdoor baby slings – advice
  • scratch
    Free Member

Has anyone had any good experiences with outdoor front mounted baby slings? I say outdoor as me and the GF are missing the mountains (no chance of seeing them currently)

Once we’re lockdown free were looking to do 2/3hr walks with 3+ month twins strapped to the front of us.

Early research at the moment

Cost effective would be good!
    Twins… 🙂

mashr

Cost effective = buy second hand and you’ll likely get your money back. We’ve got a Baby Bjorn One, and a Tula. Both good, missus swears by the Tule.

However….. at 9 months we’ve just swapped to a backpack. Which means we also have room for supplies. Something that would be a ball ache if you’re both using carriers

scratch
    Free Member

Ah, yeah good point, having never used one is there room for a sling and a small day pack over the shoulders, or is it a must to move over to an all-in-one carrier and pack?

It’s not like we’ll be heading out in winter temps but we do like to take a bit of ‘just incase’ kit into the hills

mashr

Aye you’ll need nappies, snacks and (potentially) milk depending on how long you’re out for. The slings straps will be sturdy and right in the same place you’d want your backpack straps. I’ve never had to try it (no twins), but don’t think it would work very well tbh

Proper kiddy backpacks can’t be used quite as early on, so that might affect you (depending on when we’re all allowed back out). But they are pretty good, and they also tend to have something akin to a tent to be put up over the wee ones head as a rain shelter!

scratch
    Free Member

Thanks I’ll take a look!

stumpy01

We had a Baby Bjorn one (miracle?) that was great. Not cheap though. I’d definitely go second hand…

You could always take a bum bag for other kit, although a rucsack with thin straps might work OK – thin as in no padding, rather than naarrow.

benbrownuk

We’ve had one of these for more than 3 years. It’s back in regular use with our second kid now and still think it’s great. It’s been into the hills and things a fair few times and is comfortable for a good few hours. More comfortable front in facing than front out facing, but both comfortable enough. We found over about 9-12mths they started to get a bit heavy for front if carrying for more than an hour or so (leading to aching back), probably not related to the sling. You can have them front facing in or out, or spin the sling around and carry them on your back with this sling though so can mix things up. We generally used a different back carrier (Osprey back pack) more than this for longer walks once they were ~9mths+, but the sling was good for back carrying when we went away without much space for stuff.

I use this sling on the front and wear a normal day bag on the back quite a lot and find that fine. Sometimes get in a bit of tangle when taking on/off but other than that ok. Balances the weight out a bit too.

We found a local sling library and gave a few a go before settling on this one. Guess most sling libraries won’t be operating at the moment though..!

https://ergobaby.co.uk/carbon-grey-cool-air-mesh-bundle-of-joy

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Yeah we got a Babybjorn air one, it’s really good for our 3 month old.

£50 2nd hand, we’ll get our money back.

Will switch to a backpack version as soon as she can sit up comfortably herself.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Outdoor baby slings – advice’ is closed to new replies.