Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 2,093 total)
  • Out of the darkness and into soccerball season 2021/22
  • theotherjonv

At this rate he’ll see something that I won’t – Real Madrid picking up the trophy, ‘cos I’ll have turned it off

argee

It’s got that feel of Liverpool could play all night without scoring

theotherjonv

last final they played it was a goalkeeper that swung it, same again this time. Courtois has been immense

w00dster

Silence in this bar…..the only noise was my stifling my guffaw…

argee

All over, Liverpool probably wish they hadn’t been so quick to book up their open bus tour now 😂

Got to say, CL finals are disappointing affairs, Liverpool just looked poor and like they’d never score, Real just wanted to counter attack and both were happy to just play around the middle.

binners

There’s always the League Cup

dc1988

Courtois was easily MOM but Liverpool have been well off the pace for a while, we’ve barely won a game by more than a single goal for months. We were much better off in terms of goal difference in the league earlier in the season but City finished quite a few ahead. Afcon seemed to ruin Salah’s form

pedlad

Re MoM yes Courtois had a couple of worldys and deserved it but their right back was faultless. Diaz didnt get a sniff.

theotherjonv

Liverpool just looked poor and like they’d never score

Got to say, as an ex-GK myself this pisses me off. Another day they could have scored four or five. They’ve just said they had 24 shots, Courtois made nine saves and there were three or four worldies in there. Give some credit where due, that was a masterclass. You make it sound like it’s Liverpool’s problem they never scored, there was a 6’4″ big Belgian reason why they aren’t taking Big Cup home tonight.

dander

Three cup finals. No goals. The better teams handle the front three pretty well.

Caher

Liverpool looked tired and out of ideas. They seem to end seasons like that, nowadays.

argee

Liverpool just looked out of ideas, they need something to refresh that team, i think a lot of clubs are now figuring out how to play them, and if ManU, Tottenham, Chelsea, etc all strengthen, it’ll be a tough season ahead.

argee

Got to say, as an ex-GK myself this pisses me off. Another day they could have scored four or five. They’ve just said they had 24 shots, Courtois made nine saves and there were three or four worldies in there.

I’d have to see those 3 or 4 worldies to agree, he made decent saves, but they were all around him, or at him, even that Salah one in the second half was from a tightish angle.

Courtois was MotM, but i never saw much finger tip saves over the bar or racing out to throw himself at the feet of attackers, it was for a couple of decent saves, yes on another day Liverpool could have scored, but that’s like any game, when the chances fell Liverpool either snatched at the shots, or hit it too close to the keeper.

theotherjonv

His movement and positioning are all part of his skill, but the fingertip onto the post in the first half, the one scrambling back across goal to block at the foot of the post and the one from Salah immediately stand out. That last one the angle was tight, and Salah should have kept it on the deck but that was a full strike from 6 yards away. Sure it hit his arm as much as him getting an arm to it but making yourself big and taking it as you can is all part of it.

Some of the others you’d be disappointed to let in but those three stand out .

binners

Liverpool never produced anything that Courtois couldn’t deal with easily

I thought they looked absolutely knackered. And that’s perfectly reasonable given the season they’ve had.

theotherjonv

easily my arse. You are doing him a huge amount of discredit.

argee

His movement and positioning are all part of his skill, but the fingertip onto the post in the first half, the one scrambling back across goal to block at the foot of the post and the one from Salah immediately stand out. That last one the angle was tight, and Salah should have kept it on the deck but that was a full strike from 6 yards away. Sure it hit his arm as much as him getting an arm to it but making yourself big and taking it as you can is all part of it.

Forgot the first one, didn’t see if he’d got fingers to it, so would give him that one.

The Salah one where he was scrambling across, if you see it from the angle, Salah actually hits it back across goal (not at goal) and hits the goalie with it, so can’t count that as a save.

The last one, Salah brought that ball down, was pressured by the defender and managed to get that half a yard before hitting that shot, by the time he’d done that the angle was tight and Courtois had it covered, pretty standard save you see many times.

dc1988

A couple of very good saves but Liverpool didn’t work Courtois hard enough IMO, it’s a CL final so you won’t get any freebies (let’s ignore what happened with Karius….)

theotherjonv

You’re wired to the moon if you think that was a ‘standard’ save.

And take it from me, if I used my footwork to get in the right position and then the ball hit me I’m absolutely counting that as a save. Best save I ever made hit me half on the shoulder and half on the ear, and went over the bar as the second part of a double save, they all count.

theotherjonv

anyway, UEFA statement on the delay reported on the BBC

Uefa has issued a statement on the pre-match problems outside the stadium…

“In the lead-up to the game, the turnstiles at the Liverpool end became blocked by thousands fans who had purchased fake tickets which did not work in the turnstiles.

“This created a build-up of fans trying to get in. As a result, the kick-off was delayed by 35 minutes to allow as many fans as possible with genuine tickets to gain access.

“As numbers outside the stadium continued to build up after kick-off, the police dispersed them with tear gas and forced them away from the stadium.

“Uefa is sympathetic to those affected by these events and will further review these matters urgently together with the French police and authorities, and with the French Football Federation.”

MSP

argee

From reports and the video it looks like the French police were focused on Liverpool fans, UEFA are jus being UEFA, regurgitating what the French police told them, the French police do tend to be ones that can be heavy handed, Spanish police can be like this at times, but to actively handle both sets of supporters differently, and using kettling and tear gas on one set is not a good thing, and from the reports, lying about the reasoning is even worse.

Nothing will happen though, UEFA have made their minds up, they’ll be back to focusing on how to make more money next year, French police couldn’t care less about English fans so expect lots of nothing.

scratch
    Free Member

Just the small matter of the biggest prize in football left. COYRs!

binners

Play offs are bonkers!!

argee

Yeah, this is the richest game in football today, the winners get over £100 million guaranteed, the losers get to try again next season, it truly is a winner take all game, unlike the CL final, where there’s probably £5-10 million between winner and runner-up, sometimes the runner-up makes more than the winner!

scratch
    Free Member

I did find out this week that the losers take the whole gate from the Wembley final which isn’t a bad gesture, the winners won’t miss it.

Hope for Cooper to make the dream come true with him clocking one with 1 point from 7 on the board when he took over. Hudds are very well drilled though, that corner routine they have going is one of those things where you think you’ve seen everything in football buy new ideas still exist.

Annoying my toddlers bath time is the best part of an hour bang in the middle of the game! :/

theotherjonv

bit of dirt never hurt anyone.

MSP

Would be good to have Nottingham Forest in the prem, just as a name I associate with football from my childhood.

ElShalimo

Your wish has been granted

scuttler

Congratulations Forest.

From a disappointed Town Fan.

Ooooohhh so good to win that game (2017 penalties).

chestrockwell

Terrible game but good to have Forest back. My nephew is a Forest fan so it’ll be good to have Leeds/Forest bants in the Prem, instead of Champ/League 1 for a change!

At least one of those pens should have been given though……

Interesting summer for Forest given most of their best players are on loan.

chestrockwell

….. Although we proved that a great manager can keep an average Championship squad up.

MSP

At least one of those pens should have been given though……

Yep, only game of the season that they had var for, and it came up short.

Interesting summer for Forest given most of their best players are on loan.

As much as I wanted them to win for nostalgia, nothing I saw today makes me think they have a cat in hells chance of staying up next season.

scratch
    Free Member

Well this feels surreal…

One of those pens should have probably been given but we’ve had our fare share of bad luck over the season so feels like it’s evened itself out today.

Either way it was going to be a re-build as the loanee’s would have gone back and Johnson would have been off, I’d say 50/50 at the moment, he may stay for a season to cut his teeth rather than be a bench warmer with a huge fee hung around his neck.

Game sounded like both teams cancelled each other out pretty much so not much of a game to watch

Cooper does do well with the kids though (Spence was in Borough reserves before Coops made him a 15-20m player) so I’m hoping we’ll have a mix of up and coming youngsters and a few decent loanee’s, I fear we’re terribly light though and need an at least another Cook in midfield, and someone with a bit of creativity in the middle. It’ll be interesting to see who comes in but trust Cooper to not panic and to have done a methodical amount of homework as ever.

ElShalimo

The footage from the St Etienne Auxerre riot is crazy. The French police response is very different to that in Paris

richwales

Well done wales – hung in there against a good Ukraine team. First World Cup since 1958!! Decent group as well – Iran, USA and England.

Caher

Gives me someone to follow now my lot have failed to qualify yet again.

trailmonkey

Should make for a spicy World Cup group, Iran v USA and England v Wales.

mrmoofo

I don’t think City will rest until they are the PSG of the PL and the only question is whether they will win the CL too.

So a bit like Chelsea in the past, or Utd, or Brac, or RM, or Bayern – for Blackburn Rovers …

Great to see Forest back 0 used to watch them during Uni days (79-81) – when they were the elite team (with a tiny ground). I get the feeling that they may be a dead cert to return to the Championship.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just finished watching on catch up. I was just saying how happy we were to be going to Qatar to get kicked out in the first round, but I reckon there’s a chance in that group.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 2,093 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.