Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 2,093 total)
  • Out of the darkness and into soccerball season 2021/22
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Zola was four years younger when he signed for Chelsea than Messi is now though

And not half the player Messi is. Messi would be awesome the EPL, I do agree though with the point above, if he’s so desperate to stay, take massive paycut. It’s not like he’s short of a shekel.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Kyogo Furuhashi, there’s a name youse englandshirists will be hearing in a year or 2s time. Boy’s superb.

I’ll start the bidding at 50 million. 😆

ElShalimo

@cromolyolly – are you aware that Sancho didn’t leave Citeh recently?

Anyway Messi crying for his Barca audience..’tis a  load of bollocks. He could have played on minimum wage. He’s worth hundreds of millions.  Very advanced Twathattery  from the terrifically talented tattooed tit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Caher

I see what you did there.

iancity1
    Free Member

For those saying Messi could have dropped his salary further etc, there was a good explanation from a Spanish journalist that explained (I know I have the figures wrong here, this is just off top of my head) but basically to satisfy La Liga rules the salary paid needs to be no more than (for example) 90% of total income generated (again, sorry, bit of a guess but along those lines). Barca are currently at 117% with Messi’s salary. If Messi played for free it would only bring this figure down to 97%, so its not a matter of bringing his salary down.
    I dont think I have explaned this very well at all – it made perfect sense when I read the tweet, Guillem Balagué was the journalist

Caher

He’s always welcome at Reading, but I fear he’ll end up at the Mickyest of Mickey mouse clubs in a Mickey Mouse league in France.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Thanks iancity1 for putting it in laymans terms! No wonder they’re still keen on on a Euro Super League. Only got themselves to blame though regarding the parlous finances given the money they spent on Dembele, Coutinho, and also Griezeman, to a lesser extent.

MSP

Not just the transfer fees either, Griezeman is on 800k per week. They have been desperate to sell him, but no one is going to come close to those wages. Is he going to become another Bale paid 10 of millions of year to play golf instead of football.

MSP

I saw somewhere as well that the salary cap in La Liga is for players registered in the squad, so barca may have players contracted and still have to pay them, but not register them in the squad to get inside the La Liga rules.

binners

There was an article in the Guardian not long back saying how these players are albatrosses around their clubs necks. They can’t move them on as nobody can come close to matching the insane contracts they signed so they stay on the books and the clubs sink further into debt

But it also means there’s no money to sign younger players to refresh their squads, so they end up with a team of ageing players at the end of their careers all getting paid mega-bucks

It’s absolutely insane, but then the economics of modern football is completely insane

It’s a situation these clubs created, so they don’t elicit much sympathy

MSP

So what are the predictions, is it too soon with transfer business still to be done? I will go for

Man City
    Chelsea
    Man Utd
    Liverpool
    Leicester
    West Ham
    Aston Villa
    Tottenham
    Leeds
    Arsenal
    Everton
    Southampton
    Wolves
    Brighton
    Newcastle
    Crystal Palace
    Burnley
    Norwich
    Watford
    Brentford

Assuming chelski get Lukaku which looks like a done deal and city don’t sign a striker the first two could switch, still not sure Lukaku will be as good in the prem as he was in serie A. Liverpool still look thin with squad depth, but if they are lucky with injuries could go up a place. United to continue playing well or badly depending on how the team feel with Ole making no difference either way.

Burnly shouldn’t expect Dyche to keep repeating what he does every year with their squad and could be the one that gets bumped below the promoted 3 to get relegated, but it is a struggle to make a case for any of them surviving.

Wolves time on the rise is and challenging the top 6 is probably over but still should be mid table. Benetiz to have a underwhelming season at everton, and will be his only season at the club.

Leeds to still be delivering the most insane games.

dc1988

I’m hoping some common sense starts coming in to play. I think Liverpool are being sensible with contract offers by not renewing Wijnaldum and also seemingly Henderson. A lot of clubs seem to panic about losing a player so give them a huge new deal without thinking longer term, they are then stuck with a huge wage bill for a player they don’t want and can’t sell, it also happens with free transfers where it becomes a bidding war (like Bale, Ramsay, Willian)

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Looking forward to seeing Man U actually – couple of excellent additions in Sancho and Varane. They have some great options going forward now – Cavani, Greenwood, Sancho and Rashford – and can move on Martial surely. Only area of weakness I can see is right back, and maybe defensive centre midfielder.

Chelsea also have a great squad as of course do City. Reckon Klopp will be trying to channel a bit of underdog spirit if they can keep players fit. Interesting to see if Thiago is better for having had a season under his belt, disrupted though it was, and if Firmino and Mane find form again.

Down the bottom it’s hard to see past the promoted clubs for relegation but Southampton might be at risk, given Ings has left clubs sniffing around Ward-Prowse.

grum
    Free Member

Someone mentioned above but that Japanese striker is already looking v good for Celtic. 3 yesterday and could have had more.

Difficult to see anyone beating City again but Man U have strengthened pretty significantly and Chelsea already look much better under Tuchel with all the new players from last season.

I think Liverpool will defo come back but as mentioned they need to be lucky with injuries to key players again really. Alison was looking a bit sketchy at times too so hopefully he benefits from VVD coming back also.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

I’d like to see how Messi would do. But I think he’d really struggle due to the physicality of the game here and not being given too much space like in Spanish football.

Have to say I also disagree with this – his record against English clubs in Europe is superb (26 goals in 34 games against the big 6). If he came to City, and played every game I would be astounded if he wasn’t both top goalscorer and top assists (plus all the other metrics, successful dribbles, goals from free kicks etc). He’s the only player I’ve seen come on as a sub against my team, where I’ve been utterly terrified (in a sporting sense). When he’s half on form, you just can’t stop him.

ElShalimo

This is where stupid tribalism takes over. We know the baggage associated with the very greedy Mr Messi yet every fan would want him at their club despite him bankrupting the club they claim to love so dearly.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Man U need a Keeper, the right back is average, the midfield is below par (Pogba only deciding to bother playing 1 in 4 games… he might be on the pitch for all 4 but only plays 1) the attack is exciting.

ransos
    Free Member

I hate to say it, but it could be a more difficult season for West Ham. It’s a thin squad and will now be playing Europa League games… Lingard has gone back to Man U and Rice didn’t exactly stay under the radar at the Euros. We will once again be praying for Antonio’s hamstrings…

allanoleary
    Free Member

As long as Coventry finish the season safe from relegation more comfortably than last year nothing else matters to me. I would like to see Man City implode though, as unlikely as that is.

DezB
    Free Member

Football folk need to check ITV4 6pm daily, if you haven’t already. The Big Match Revisited. Proper entertainment 😊

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Plenty of reducers I’m sure DezB!

Disagree United need a keeper. Dean Henderson looks quality, especially if he’s half as good as he thinks he is. Their season could hinge on Pogba bothering or not.

binners

Arsenal starting the season as they finished the last one, I see. An absolute shambles at the back.

If Arteta carries on like this, he’ll get sacked in 4 or 5 seasons time 😂

nickjb
    Free Member

Brentford topping the table. Worth a punt to see if they can hold on until May?

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I think you’ll find Binners, despite our poor league finish we had a better defensive record than Utd 😉 But yes, some times last season our defending was comical, it was silly mistakes when we conceded.

Brentford seem far far sharper, want it more. We just look lacklustre, lack leadership and pretty much any attribute you need to win a game.

binners

Having a better defensive record than us isn’t a high watermark. We always try to concede at least two before half time.

I just don’t get why Arsenal insist on trying to play it out from the back when they’re so absolutely bloody awful at it.

They nearly gift wrapped them a second with a typical howler

mrwhyte
    Free Member

It is awful watching it! Really do not know why we insist on it despite us doing it all season and not getting better at it.

At least Utd have players who are capable of making up a two goal deficit.

binners

It’s just a pity that it takes the second to go in before they wake up

Leeds was one of our first games last season and it was mental. 6-2 and McTominay scored 2 in the opening 3 minutes, one of which was an absolute screamer, to which the only reaction was “hang on a minute… WHAT?!!! “ 😳

binners

Oh dear.

Even by Arsenal defensive standards…

binners

Fair play to Brentford. They thoroughly deserved the win. Seeing the fans going mental at the final whistle is what footballs all about

Loved the chant “we’re just a bus stop in Hounslow” 😂

It looks like they could be another Turf Moor, where everyone hates to go

wbo
    Free Member

Messi couldn’t play for Barcelona for free – illegal to take more than a 50% pay cut, which still didn’t work, so off he has to go. They have horrible squad problems now which is why they all hate the ex president

I was surprised Arteta survived last year and I hope he doesn’t have a long lease on where he’s living. That was poor. But great work by Brentford

MSP

I think the gooners transfer policy is more responsible than Arteta, not that he is doing a particularly good job either. But the sale of Wilock doesn’t make sense to me, similar to selling Martinez last year. Young players in form who look to have promising futures. They should have kept those players and taken a hit getting some of the expensive anchors in the squad out the door.

binners

Arsenals transfer policy has always been bonkers. Letting players run down contracts and go on free’s or for next to nothing in the final year of their contracts?

And just buying lots and lots of mediocre squad players. Didn’t they famously have more defenders on their books than any other team in the league, all of whom were shite?

Ian Wrights face last night told you everything you need to know about Arsenals performance

As a United fan, Arsenal have provided some comfort over the last few years. No matter how bad things have got in the post-Fergie era (and under Maureen it got pretty bloody bad) you could always look to north London and think “well… it could be worse…”

Caher

Leeds getting a bit of a kicking here.

binners

I rather enjoyed that 😃

Had Bruno as captain in my fantasy football team too

binners

Mo Salah missed a trick. He would have probably won a gold if he’d have chucked a leotard on and competed at the Olympic gymnastics

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

^ Do you mean he is cut like a gymnast???

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Deffo your year binners!

grum
    Free Member

Mo Salah missed a trick. He would have probably won a gold if he’d have chucked a leotard on and competed at the Olympic gymnastics

Trust binners to start dishing it out on the one day where Fernandes doesn’t get a dodgy penalty or two.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Fernandes will be well rested for the prem season after not turning up for the Euros.

Caher

Fernandes will be well rested for the prem season after not turning up for the Euros.

Missed that. Did he refuse to play/feign injury/become Roy Keane?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 2,093 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New deal added to Members Discounts