Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Ouch! SRAM XG1150 cassette isn’t cheap!!?
  • weeksy

Think I need a new cassette on the G160! £100 just about everywhere. Ouch!!!!

I’ve gone for a new chain first as even if it’s not the chain it’s always good to have a spare.

Cassettes though, damn.

samuelr
    Free Member

Try a xg1295. Cheapest uk price £290.
    I know you have ordered a chain but the x01 chain is the best value chain as it lasts. There is a thread on mtbr which plots £ over distance the x01 came first and the nx came second.

ste_t
    Free Member

I did the same – topcashback got me £3 back from tweeks to spend on a couple of beers to drown my sorrows when it turned out I’d worn the old chain too far and needed to replace everything.

transporter13
    Free Member

Would it not be cost effective to change your freehub body and use shimanos offerings… Just ahd a look and deore can be got for 67 quid from merlin.

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-deore-m6100-cassette-12-speed-202440.html?utm_source=PHG&utm_medium=AffiliateMarketing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=122454&source=PHG

DickBarton

It is a mental price for a cassette, but it does seem to last very well – I got 3 years out my 11-speed cassette and expecting almost similar on the 12-speed – admittedly I didn’t replace chain or chainring so they also got replaced at same time, but the shifting was still faultless after the 3 years, so I figured the expense once every 3 years was ‘ok’ as the Shimano kit I was using before was needing replaced yearly so the price worked out around the same.

Not a good price to pay, but it does seem to last, so I keep telling myself that that makes it reasonably ok.

chrisyork

I agree, very expensive! When my SRAM X1 mech got lazy (spring) I bought an XT one for £75 and the cassette I’ll probably replace for an XT or SLX when it comes to it. I’m still running the SRAM X1 shifter which works perfectly….

tabletop2
    Free Member

Would it not be cost effective to change your freehub body and use shimanos offerings… Just ahd a look and deore can be got for 67 quid from merlin.

Can you just bung a shimano cassette on without changing anything else? (other than freehub body ofc)

transporter13
    Free Member

As far as I know, yes.
    I’ve had no issues mixing sram and shimano 12spd stuff.. Ie nx shifter and deore/slx rear mech with sram chains on both nx 12spd and sunrace 12spd cassettes(all bought as the cheapest options at that particular time)
    My current setup is shimano slx shifter with deore mech with sram nx eagle chain and nx eagle cassette.. Over 1000 miles so far.

trailtom
    Free Member

Running something similar as above with a 12spd XT shifter/rear mech, with a GX cassette and X01 chain, 3k so far, it’s still working fine and shifting just as good than when I had a GX shifter and mech..

cynic-al
    Free Member

8/9 speed smugness 😬

andrewh
    Free Member

Singlespeeder even smuger

intheborders
    Free Member

If you’re replacing chain and cassette I’d be also looking at a new chainring at a minimum and probably jockey wheels too.

militantmandy
    Free Member

The sunrace versions are good too and much cheaper. In saying that, I got over 3000km out of my original GX cassette, so can’t complain really.

oikeith

There is a thread on mtbr which plots £ over distance the x01 came first and the nx came second.

Might go look at this thread to see the £ over miles as my NX chain took 208 miles to get to 0.5 wear, I wonder if the testing covered British winter though!

I have now replaced with an X01 chain which I hope lasts a lot longer

lawman91

11/12 speed Sram cassettes do seem to last alot longer than I remember 9/10 speed ones lasting. I’d be lucky to get 1000 miles out of a 10-speed XT cassette, my last X01 Eagle cassette was 2500 miles in and 4 years and still took a new chain! Expensive, but seem to last pretty well.

fathomer

The XG1150 cassette on my hard tail is, according to Strava, 5,600k old. The first 3k ish I was replacing chains, then I forgot and decided to run until it dies.

Which is going to be very soon but it’s had a hard life that’s for sure!

weeksy

So i whipped the boys cassette off and fitted it and the slight jump is gone… I then spent 15 mins with cleaning stuff and brushes on mine and it’s deffo a little better but not quite 100%. It only jumps a little in 1 gear (6th) and only when pedalling backwards, which i never do on the trails, so no massive hurry to replace it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Ouch! SRAM XG1150 cassette isn’t cheap!!?’ is closed to new replies.