Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Other than Disneyland…
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

What is there to do in Florida?

Basically, is it worth a punt for a last minute 11 day holiday?

Or will someone with no interest in a 6ft Mickey Mouse die of boredom?

Cougar

KSC is a must-see.

Many other theme parks.  Universal, Bush Gardens et al.

Everglades tour?

tomhoward

Other parks (eg universal) are ok. Cape Canaveral is interesting if you like space stuff. Gator spotting on an airboat in the Everglades is a laugh.

Edit: lol, what cougar said, then…

pyranha

The Keys are nice; my brother did a swamp buggy ride somewhere near Orlando; St Augustine is, I believe, quite attractive, and claims to be the oldest city in the US.  I think there should be plenty to do in Miami (we people watched while dining at South Beach).   Basically, there’s a lot more to Florida than Disney. I would look into things like the last few drive in cinemas, go to sports events (we’ve only been in October, to catch the hockey season) etc  Your accommodation provider will probably have loads of info.

It’s interesting to get off the beaten track – just hang around the Orlando parks and it’s easy to forget that you’re in the South. We took minor roads from Orlando to Miami, which took us through orange plantations and a town with one of the highest murder rates in the country – in some places there was a stark contrast between the houses, and the divide is still largely on skin colour!

konagirl
    Free Member

There is so much more than Disneyworl. Note that August will be HOT! The keys (barrier islands) on the Gulf Coast from Tampa to Naples are stunning, many are state parks only accessible by boat. But accommodation will be more than Orlando. Everglades and Keys already discussed. Day trips from Orlando could include KSC but I would spend more time (i.e. 1-2 nights) and kayak or paddle board on Indian River and look for manatee at Haulover Canal. You might also see manatee and other critters by kayaking the mangroves around Hommosassa and Crystal River. We camped and had armadillo visit every night. There are also good trail networks and swimming / kayaking / tubing in cold spring rivers in many state parks and state forests. Google for springs… very refreshing in the heat!

konagirl
    Free Member

Nearly forgot this is a MTB forum! Santos, Ocala:

https://www.floridastateparks.org/trail/Santos

scuttler

KSC is not just for plane and space geeks. I defy anyone to not enjoy that place. If you do like planes though, go to the Titusville warbirds museum whilst you’re out there.

Gulf Coast is nice for a few days down time. Anna Maria Island is fab. Dali museum and St Petersburg are good.

midlifecrashes

Dali museum, Gulf Coast beaches like St Pete’s, a visit to the big Bass Pro Shop is a must, tubing/rafting the springs, some fantastic air museums and collections, check your dates for a rocket launch and head to Playalinda beach, shopping at the outlet malls, yeah, there’s plenty to do in Florida.

theotherjonv

I can’t believe you’ve all overlooked

Homepage

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Other than Disneyland…’ is closed to new replies.