Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Other than a Camelbak MULE?
  • Burchy1
    Free Member

What would people recommend in the mid sized pack department?

Open to all ideas really but would need to fit: –
    tools, tubes, pump, lunch, jacket plus possibly a baselayer, all the usual bits and bobs for a longer UK ride.

fadda

Wingnut

[\thread]

allthepies
    Free Member

Osprey Raptor

thepurist

Maybe you’ve heard of a magazine called ‘Singletrack’? They did a mini test of loads of mid size packs in the current issue, available at all good bike shops.

They missed Vaude out though I think – if you’re a sweaty bast (like me) it might be worth a look at their trampoline style back system, and Deuters.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Ah forgot to mention a mate has a cock and balls and I’m not too keen on the fit of it tbh. Think i’d prefer a regular backpack shape.

starsh78
    Free Member

Deuter..

Burchy1
    Free Member

Maybe you’ve heard of a magazine called ‘Singletrack’? They did a mini test of loads of mid size packs in the current issue, available at all good bike shops.

Yep flicked through that in Smiths the other day, but more people ride bikes than just the guys at Singletrack, so thought I’d ask a few to get a range of opinions. 😉

elzorillo
    Free Member

I know I’m not really offering an alternative, but I tried pretty much every bag and NOTHING came close to the quality and functionality of the mule.

If it’s the cost, try checking ebay. I got a brand new mule (four season Ltd edition) for just £27.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Mule NV here. Best pack IMO

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have the equivalent Hydrapack (A roach I think) 3L bladder plenty of storage and was half the price of the camelback.

Nearest I can find now is this:
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/75/hk90161/hydrapak-reyes-3l-hydration-pack-2012.html

vondally
    Free Member

Ah forgot to mention a mate has a cock and balls and I’m not too keen on the fit of it tbh. Think i’d prefer a regular backpack shape.

not sure the meaning of this but wingnuts are good bags and deserve a try…..they work equally well for all genders.

they are different but for more traditional bag i would recommend

osprey raptor
    ergon bd 1

mk1fan
    Free Member

I bought a Dakine in Morzine as I had forgotten my Camelbak.

Bladder aside – the Camelbak bitevalve is, imo, better – the Dakine makes the Camelbak look like a Tesco’s carrier bag.

The Dakine layout means that stuff stays put across the backpack rather than accumulating in a big hump at the bottom. The only thing missing is an integrated rain / hi vis cover but I have one anyway.

swingbing
    Free Member

I like my Dakine. Had it for around 4/5 years and it is still going strong after lots of abuse skiing, biking and whatever else takes my fancy. Use it with a 3l hydrapack bladder.

stumpy01

Doesn’t come with a bladder, but I recently got an Osprey Syncro 10. It’s a great bag. Lots of small stash pockets for tools, light, comfy, comes with a rain cover, raised back to reduce sweatiness (not as good as Vaude’s similar system though).
    The 10 is pretty small for all day rides though – I bought it for shorter rides as I have a larger pack for all dayers. They do it in a 15 litre size too I think.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Dakine Drafter. Not cheap though.

vorlich
    Free Member

20 ltr Alpkit Gourdon? Bring your own bladder.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Sorry to hijack but I have a number of bags that I am in the process of selling.
    Osprey Raptor 14 with brand new bladder
    Camelback Mayhem
    Dakine Nomad
    Deuter Rucksack

I can also supply a bladder for the bottom 3 but it will be used (but clean!!!!!)

Email in profile if any use
    Cheers
    Steve

Burchy1
    Free Member

The Dakine drafter looks pretty good and the compartments instead of one open area appeals (this is one of the few things I’m not keen on with the MULE).

Anyone tried any of the evoc stuff?

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I have an EVOC CC 10L which I love. Might be a pinch smaller than a MULE but it’s very light, seems to be hardwearing and really comfortable.

Camelbak bladders are still the best in the business, though in my opinion.

vorlich
    Free Member

Camelbak bladders are still the best in the business, though in my opinion.

Do Camelbak still use the wide, round screw opening? Or are new models different? I find mine overly stiff.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Vorlich – mine has that opening and is pretty stiff, I think Camelbak even acknowledged it as a problem (kind of) by bringing out a spanner style tool to help people open them.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I loved my Dakine Nomad and had it for about 7 years, earlier this year the zips started failing unexpectedly. I couldn’t risk things falling out so I had to get a new bag.

I use my bag for allsorts it comes with me on most days out with the family to carry things like sandwiches, cameras and of course drink. I use it skiing and obviously for riding too. It is also my hand luggage bag for flying. So it gets a lot of varied use and needs to be big.

I have ended up with an Evoc Freeride Trail and so far thing it is great. The weight sits more on my hips than the Dakine and is more comfortable for it. The only slight problem I have is when I look up my helmet hits the top of the bag, it doesn’t interfere its just a bit annoying.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Dakine drafter for me, awesome bag, way better than the equivalent Camelback imo.

JoeG
    Free Member

Vorlich – Camelbak came out with a new bladder early this year IIRC. Its called the Antidote, and has a much improved cap. It only takes 1/4 turn or so to close it. The new bladder also has a baffle in the center so it stays a bit flatter when filled as well as a quick connect fitting on the tube. It’s a big improvement over their older bladders IMO.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve had a mule and a raptor and I wouldn’t buy either again. The mule had the really stupid little pocket to try and squeeze a full bladder into and as a result had little space inside. The raptor just isn’t comfortable, the straps are too wide, the magnet thing has lost its magnetism so the hose flaps around.
    I’m looking at an Evoc or dakine next.

excitable1
    Free Member

I had a Mule for 4 years. Great pack but just not big enough. I was waiting for it to fail so I had an excuse for something new and the best I could come up with was that the rain cover had a rip in it and had faded and the pack was bit smelly. My only complaint was that it was the size. 2 tubes, tools, first aid kit and a few spares and that was it, no room for a sandwich.

Just bought a Camelbak Hawg NV. Improved build quality over my old Mule, looks and feels the same size but tons more space. I can now carry a jacket in the back and I’ve got room for 1/2 a cow pie and a banana. Definately go for the NV version because they make up the space for the vents with handy side pockets rather than bulking up the pack. Check Amazon, they were selling this years off for £75 quid.

excitable1
    Free Member

Posted in the wrong place !

cinnamon_girl

Wingnut for me. 🙂

frank4short
    Free Member

I’ve a camelbak Octane 18x designed for adventure racing more so than biking. As a result of which I find it better as it doesn’t move about as much cause that would be counter productive for hill running. This is a major upside for me personally. Plus as well as that it has all of the features you’d expect from a high end camelbak pack.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Another Dakine fan here with the Nomad.

Wont go back to Camelbak now I’ve had the Dakine bladder

geordiemick00
    Free Member

osprey raptor, one of THE best thought out MTB products I’ve ever bought, 14 litre is nice size too

honeybadgerx

Camelbak Capo (it’s not a MULE…)

Mackem

Recently got an Osprey Viper 10 – very nice it is.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Other than a Camelbak MULE?’ is closed to new replies.