Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Is it me or is bus travel really expensive?
  • Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Edinburgh bus service is pretty much superb. Affordable, clean and frequent on the most-used services. For £1.40 you can go right across town, or round and round it as many times as you want.

Almost makes you wonder why they bothered spending a billion quid recreating Blackpool

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHf6FjqWpsU[/video]

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No coffee or free wifi in Harrogate TJ.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Public transport is **** in this country!!
    Overpriced, dirty and unreliable!
    Got a train in Italy last yr, think it was 70 odd miles one way. Spotless, could have set my watch to the time it left the station and it cost 10 euros for both of us!!
    Example for over here, labourer who works for me travels just outside of derby to just outside of Ripley, probably 12/15 miles tops, costs him 8 quid a day which is a fair chunk of his wage!

Edric64
    Free Member

Example for over here, labourer who works for me travels just outside of derby to just outside of Ripley, probably 12/15 miles tops, costs him 8 quid a day which is a fair chunk of his wage!

The poor working class should get up early and walk to work

CountZero

Thing is, TJ, the rest of us don’t live in bloody Edinburgh! 🙄
    Nice try, though.

poly
    Free Member

Edinburgh £1.40 for any distance. Thats less that the return cost of driving into town let alone parking.

Fares in Glasgow and Edinburgh are remarkable value, but if you move outside the confines of the city you soon discover areas which are much more expensive, get poorer service and ‘force’ people into cars. £1.40 will get you about a mile in West Lothian, or Falkirk council areas. The economics of public transport are quite different in areas of high population density.

Edinburgh / Glasgow return by train £12 return for a 90 mile return journey. Hard to drive that for £12 in petrol let alone other costs including parking

Although that slightly misrepresents the situation. (1) At peak times a return train ticket is £21 per person. An annual season ticket (if you happen to be in the fortunate cash rich position of having £3380 upfront is £14.57 per day (based on standard work pattern) (2) This assumes you want to go from city-centre to city centre, journeys at each end add time and further cost. (3) Actually quite possible to drive it for the £12.10 cheap day return cost if you have a modern car and drive sensibly. (4) As soon as there are two of you it becomes a ‘no brainer’ in terms of cost.

SD-253
    Free Member

richmtb – Member
    Public transport is expensive full stop.

Thats why people use cars!

Posted 3 hours ago # Report-Postdeluded – Member
    From the stop opposite (by the pub) into town? Had to for safety reasons otherwise you’d have got mown over walking?

The cost of public transport in the UK is a national disgrace. Should be not for profit and subsidised. Costs me three times as much to catch train to sheffield with family as it does to drive.
    As for buses into Leeds….well I think the bus fare is the reason that everyone on the bus can only afford crap tracksuits and/or leggings.
    People use cars for convience and not because public transport is more expensive, which obviously it is not. Try adding maintanence depreciation parking charges never mind fuel costs.
    You are both making pathetic excuses for using cars instead of public transport.
    Worse still this is a cycling site I would have thought using your bike would be the natural alternative. Personaly I have only one scheduled bus a week if I worked I would cycle even if it involved 20 mile round trip (a shorter distance than i have done in the past). Furthermore buses are nearly always subsidised even some train journeys are. Trains are cheaper than driving if there is only one traveling. Only a moron would expect a family to travel cheaper by train than traveling by car (the remark is not aimed at the persons quoted above)The best thing I like about traveling by train is just how restfull it is with an almost certain view of decent bit of counryside and a chance to read a book if I am so inclined. BUSES ARE NOT FOR PROFIT

atlaz
    Free Member

21 euros a month for use over an entire country. Includes trains too. Seems reasonable to me.

Drac

Fair enough flatfish seems reasonable when you have young sprogs.

My car all in with fuel is about 36p per mile but I don’t have to stand in queues, I can go door to door without tediously linking them up. I’ll stick with my car for now as I enjoy driving too.

neninja
    Free Member

It’s about £5 return to town and back from our village (around 5 miles away) so more expensive than driving yourself so never use it during the day but cheaper than a cab on a night out.

Sadly they’ve stopped the old 11.15pm bus back on a Friday and Saturday due to anti social behaviour.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

BUSES ARE NOT FOR PROFIT

Err yes they are. A close friend owns a bus company and it is a commercial business.

I’ll stick with my car for now as I enjoy driving too.

This too.

richmtb

People use cars for convience and not because public transport is more expensive, which obviously it is not. Try adding maintanence depreciation parking charges never mind fuel costs.
    You are both making pathetic excuses for using cars instead of public transport.
    Worse still this is a cycling site I would have thought using your bike would be the natural alternative.

Ooh get you, you seem to be making a lot of assumptions about strangers on a forum.
    Public transport is obviously not more expensive?

Only a moron would expect a family to travel cheaper by train than traveling by car

So is it more expensive or not?

BUSES ARE NOT FOR PROFIT

Err try telling that to the people who run Stagecoach

joemarshall
    Free Member

To my work is 5.00 return – not bad for a 30 mile round trip. not to mention being cheaper than the sevene quid a day parking at work.

to the next village single is about 3 quid – a lot for 3 miles.

So I guess it can vary wildly as to whether it’s cheaper than the car.

Having said that, we don’t use our car much during the week, it’s more of a toy thing for weekends, and I worked out it cost us about a tenner a trip in fixed costs – it is nice to have it, and there are various personal reasons why we want it, but financially there is no way it is cheaper than a mix of public transport and taxis like we used to.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Is it me or is bus travel really expensive?’ is closed to new replies.