Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Oscillating multitool to remove silicone from tiles
  • woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

I’m taking the shower screen out to redo the silicone. I’ve got to take the aluminium uprights off the tiles to get the silicone underneath it at the bottom. The aluminium is stuck on with silicone (plus screws).
    If I use an oscillating multitool with the shiny slicing blade to cut through the silicone will I end up scratching the tiles?

Speshpaul

Just slice it with a Stanley, you’ll have more control. Sealant remover will soften it up as well.

mudfish

Yes there’s a silicone remover solvent. Comes in the same kind of applicator tube as the silicone. Try screwfix
    Works well. You could start with one of those scrapers that holds a Stanley blade, then I’d use a plastic scraper.

dyna-ti

As above, most of it will peel off once you’ve cut it a bit. But buy a tool anyway, it’s handy for other things. No reason not to buy tools just because the latest job doesn’t need it.

hot_fiat

If the tiles are scratched easily you can get plastic silicone removal tools. Mine has a flat blade and a right angled blade at the other end for renewing sealant.

Multitool will just vibrate the sealant back and forth, like skin under a plaster cast saw.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Thanks it was the task of cutting the silicone between the tiles I was focusing on.
    I tried the multitool. It didn’t scratch the tiles, but didn’t cut through the silicone very well

mudfish

Solvent

mudfish

Multi tool does seem like a practical way of raking out grout. Silicone not so much.

martinhutch

Stanley knife/window scraper with blades has always worked for me.

singletrackmind

Screwfix silicone remover tools and paste.
    Watch the paste, its pretty aggressive and is supplied with a flicky brush designed to help you to fick it in your eye.
    The removal tool set also comed with a shaper blade for the new silicone

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Fishing line or a car window removal tool is the perfect thing for getting shower profiles off tiles. Doesn’t scratch anything and leaves the tiles attached to the walls! Clean up the rest with a sharp Stanley blade used on edge or a razor blade.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Dental floss is worryling effective as a string saw between the shower screen and the tiles. Also normally close to hand when nin the bathroom removing the shower screen

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice sharp chisel is ideal for cutting the residue off tiles, but I can’t comment on the shower screen bit without seeing it.

jamj1974

Multi-tools in grout are great. Never touched sealant with one.

ajantom

I had this recently, bastard of a job ☹️

Silicone softener didn’t work as it couldn’t get under the aluminium to the silicone in the middle.

Stanley knife blade won’t go under far enough and scratches tiles.

Dental floss just snapped.

Wire + handles for window/glass remover seemed like it was going to work, but kept fraying and snapped.

In the end I had to saw through the uprights in small sections and remove bit by bit.
    Still ended up damaging a few tiles 🤬

New shower cubicle us built up now, and just needs plumbing in. All in one unit, so it covers the messed up tiles.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.