Home Forums Bike Forum OS maps – MOBAC not working anymore?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • OS maps – MOBAC not working anymore?
  • pfrumpy
    Free Member

Seems like MOBAC 1.8 is not able to download OS maps anymore – disaster!

Does anyone have a fix, or another method for downloading OS maps for use in Orux? I have a bunch of memory map files but no way to convert them.

I love my Orux it does everything including ANT+ HRM, cadence, speed, power and it gets real elevation data from my phone’s barometer, has route tracking with alarms, and syncs with mapmytracks so my other half knows where to rescue me from etc etc. Hence I’d rather like to be able to download OS maps for new areas instead of having to move to a lesser app….

nre
    Free Member

OruxMaps is great 🙂

I’ve dropped you an email…

Miguelo

If MOBAC isn’t working I’m stuck as well. Shame as I think oruxmaps is a great application.

What can I do nre? If you don’t mind sharing 😉

pfrumpy
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Miguelo you’ve got mail

panmat
    Free Member

for me too, is there any fix. I also notice that many of the android apps that used to display Ordnance survey maps no longer do so.
    Any help appreciated.

phead
    Free Member

same here. My googlefu failed to find a solution.

allthepies
    Free Member

I briefly looked into this last week and have a theory about what’s happened and how normal service can be resumed. Watch this space…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I wonder if this is linked to the same issue back country navigator app is having with OS mapping

nemesis
    Free Member

FWIW, if you’re really stuck, I have the version of Oruxmaps which allows you to access OS maps directly. I can share it if this is a permanent issue.

Garry_Lager

Mapflipper app for strava is also suffering – loads of tiles missing.

allthepies
    Free Member

Does the OS mapping part still work ? 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

Yep… I can still access OS maps live (though I have downloaded them)

EDIT though by the looks of it, the 1:25k is no longer available but 1:50k is.

mintimperial

OS mapping in Maverick on Android has died over the past week, bit annoying, it’s a pretty good app but useless for what I want without the OS stuff. Tiles are now being filled in with a basic outline map showing roads, place names, and not much else (previously cached stuff is still fine obviously).

I assume this is related to the OS having recently launched their own mapping app, with paid-for tilesets.

nemesis
    Free Member

Just realised that it’s my cache still showing OS maps at 1:50k – as mintimperial is finding, while I can still access OS maps online, they’re not with proper detail. Lucky I’ve got them downloaded…

pfrumpy
    Free Member

I have a work around for OruxMaps only. With thanks to NRE I can help the next person. Miguel didn’t respond to my email so 1st person to request it here will get my help.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yes please!

pfrumpy
    Free Member

YGM nemesis

pfrumpy
    Free Member

Nemesis doesn’t need the workaround. Next?

bspoked
    Free Member

Yes please

jairaj

Is this to get OS map data when using Orux Maps? If yes, then I’d like to know the work around please.

pfrumpy
    Free Member

bspoked and jairaj YGM

panmat
    Free Member

I too would like the fix please. Anyone…..
    thanks

bspoked
    Free Member

Cheers Pfrumpy.

Panmat – you need to add an email address to your profile.

panmat
    Free Member

Sorry email added to account.
    Thanks

MadBillMcMad

if someone would be so kind …

winterhasarrived
    Free Member

Yes, if someone doesn’t mind. email in profile.

allthepies
    Free Member

Ditto please, email in profile.

Miguelo

Hi pfrumpy not sure why you did not receive my email but I’m definitely still interested…

fasterferret
    Free Member

I’d be keen for a work around if someone would be kind enough to share. Please. Thank you.

DeeW
    Free Member

Struggling with this myself. Anyone able to pass on the wisdom? email in profile. Many thanks in advance

bspoked
    Free Member

Panmat, Mad Bill. YGM

jeffl

If someone could share the Orux OS mapping love with me that would be great. Thanks in advance.

ThePinkster

I had an email from Back Country Navigator yesterday about a similar issue –

Hello Outdoor Enthusiasts

I wanted to mention some things to be aware of in regards to map sources in some places around the world. 

It is important to note that BackCountry Navigator takes advantage of map sources when they are freely available. That means we don’t always have control over what happens with them, and certainly can’t guarantee that they will always be free. For the most part, though, that’s worked out well. 

UK Map Sources
    As people from the UK tell me in no uncertain terms, they want those OS Explorer maps, and the app is utterly useless without them.
    Since Bing bought up Multimap many years ago, there has been some uncertainty about access. It worked smoothly for three years and stopped working abruptly last week. 
    We may have a solution now in 5.7.3 and will monitor it.  See the latest on the solution. 
    http://support.crittermap.com/entries/66110494-OS-Explorer-Map-Issues

We appreciate the patience of most of you throughout this process.

Sounds like it might be related?

fasterferret
    Free Member

The Pinkster is right, definately related.

I found something of a fix, not 100%, but whilst I was waiting for someone to share with me the solution that is being talked about on here…

Follow The Pinkster’s link

Follow the instructions on creating your own Bing key (post by Nathan 14th April).

Drop this key into the following line in the file onlinemapsources.xlm:

“&key=PLACEYOURKEYHERE]]>”

at the end of where is says

“tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/r{$q}.png?g=41&productSet=mmOS”

It should now read:

“tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/r{$q}.png?g=41&productSet=mmOS&key=PLACEYOURKEYHERE]]>”

save the onlinemapsources.xml file

restart Orux

you might need to clear your map cache if it has pulled in to many of the lower detail tiles.

This is good for 1:50,000 but nothing else

panmat
    Free Member

Follow on from last post, to get mobac working again, create a new txt file and copy the text between the stars(*****)to it.
    Name it whatever perhaps OS25K and save it with a .bsh extension (Mobac reads these) and place it in the mapsources folder within mobac.
    Remembering to replace Place your key here with your own key.

Hope this helps. nb its good down to 25k maps

This method is called for each tile: input parameters for this script: “zoom”, “x” and “y”
    **/
    String getTileUrl( int zoom, int x, int y ) {

return “http://ak.t3.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/r” + encodeQuadTree(zoom, x, y) + “?g=3451&productSet=mmOS&key=Place Your Key Here”;
    }

String encodeQuadTree( int zoom, int x, int y) {

char[] numChar = {‘0’, ‘1’, ‘2’, ‘3’};
    char[] tileNum = new char[zoom];
    for (int i = zoom – 1; i >= 0; i–) {
    // Binary encoding using ones for x and twos for y. if a bit
    // is set in x and y we get a three.
    int num = (x % 2) | ((y % 2) << 1);
    tileNum = numChar[num];
    x >>= 1;
    y >>= 1;
    }
    return new String(tileNum);
    }

/**
    This method is called also for each tile (implementation optional)
    It allows to set HTTP headers like “Referer” or cookies the server
    wants to see.
    **/
    void addHeaders( java.net.HttpURLConnection conn) {}

pfrumpy
    Free Member

panmat thanks! Strange thing – I don’t have a mapsources directory…. I’m on windows 7 and MOBAC 1.8

I created the file with my own new shiny bing key but all the tiles in my MOBAC are showing red crosses so something is obv wrong.

Anyone else get this working?

jairaj

fasterferret, I got a bit lost following your instructions.

I went to the link from The Pinkster and followed the instructions by Nathan. I have my person key and I have modified the mmoswithkey.xml file with my key.

Where do I place this file? Or do I copy the text into the onlinemapsources.xml file?

jairaj

Also there appears to be two methods to get the OS maps back.

nre’s method and fasterferret’s method.

nre’s method requires the workaround to be passed from user to user. Simon has kindly offered to help me out with this. Any one else needing the workaorund please email me and I will pass on the details to the first few people.

excitable1
    Free Member

Tagging this for a proper read later on.

I’ll be p155ed off if they’ve managed to shut down MOBAC 1.8 too.

Might be linked but might be a coincidence but my Garmin would would only upload through Explorer at the weekend and said that Chrome no longer supports the Garmin plug in !?!

gavstorie
    Free Member

not sure if this is of any use to you but….

http://www.bing.com/maps/

first dropdown… select Ordanance Survey

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘OS maps – MOBAC not working anymore?’ is closed to new replies.