Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Orbea wild fs /bosch gen 4 motor q’s
  • julians
    Free Member

Finally took the plunge into ebikes and ordered an orbea wild fs mteam. Looks like it should be fun.

Couple of questions though.

1. The speed sensor system is an old fashioned magnet on a spoke on the back wheel. Is there any kind of mod I can make to reposition this on the brake disc or similar. I’m assuming not as the sensor looks moulded into the chainstay and can’t be moved.

2. Hypothetically speaking (😜) what’s the best way of removimg the limiter or at least increasing it to 20mph. I see that bosch have built some anti tampering tech into the motor, and it’s not entirely clear which, if any, of the tuning boxes work without triggering this.

3. The shimano xt brakes will come set up the euro way, is it just a case of removing the brake cables and swapping them round to set them up uk style, or is there’s a technique with these xt brakes to do it without introducing air. I want to avoid bleeding them if I can.

4. Has anyone comes up with a mod for mounting the stupid looking bosch kiox display in a better place?

How exciting!

doomanic

1. The speed sensor system is an old fashioned magnet on a spoke on the back wheel. Is there any kind of mod I can make to reposition this on the brake disc or similar. I’m assuming not as the sensor looks moulded into the chainstay and can’t be moved.

No, can’t be moved.

2. Hypothetically speaking (😜) what’s the best way of removimg the limiter or at least increasing it to 20mph. I see that bosch have built some anti tampering tech into the motor, and it’s not entirely clear which, if any, of the tuning boxes work without triggering this.

Probably the wrong place to be asking this, given the animosity to eBikes in general and derestricted eBikes in particular.

4. Has anyone comes up with a mod for mounting the stupid looking bosch kiox display in a better place?

Assuming the Kiox is over the headset, Cube have a handlebar mount.
    https://www.bikester.co.uk/cube-acid-bosch-kiox-black-885054.html
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/acid-bosch-kiox-bracket-778130

ajantom

Probably the wrong place to be asking this, given the animosity to eBikes in general and derestricted eBikes in particular.

I’ll handle this…

[sarcasm_on]Oh, look another thread about derestricting ebike motors. Goody.[sarcasm_off]

doug_basqueMTB.com

Magnet – can’t be moved as stated.
    Monitor mount – you have a few options with the mount which comes. Seems pretty flexible.
    Brakes – easy. Tip them up so fluid doesn’t leak and undo hoses and swap. Normally you don’t need to bleed. 99/100. Two BUTS…. BUT 1: you should learn to bleed the brakes because it’s simple and quick. Buy the little funnel and it’s stupidly easy. BUT 2: it’s better to cut the olive off the rear brake and pass it inside the frame and out the other side. Better routing. You can get a little park tool kit for internal cables which is great. If not your shop can do this very quickly I’d imagine. I’ve done it loads of times and it takes me five minutes.
    Derestrict – maybe try it first. If you live somewhere flat maybe you feel the need but on the mountain I really don’t feel the need at all. If you’re riding flat / smooth places a lot them I’m really sorry but you’ve bought the wrong bike!! The Wild FS is a really capable beast of a bike.

Enjoy. I have a few and while I will never love an ebike they are really superb tools for certain things.

Quick edit. There is a software update for the motor which is meant to be pretty good.

julians
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Definitely going to try it without any derestriction for a while and see whether I feel the need,hopefully I won’t feel the need. It’s not flat and def not smooth where I ride usually (peak district/wales/Scotland)

I’ve seen a few bikes (not orbea) with the kiox mounted on the top tube, that looks a better place for it than on the bars, just wondering if anyone had bodged a top tube mount for it? I guess it’s not a big deal on the bars, it just looks a bit big and vulnerable in a crash.

doug_basqueMTB.com

You can twist it about and mount it backwards over the stem I think. I’ve crashed a few times (landed in hospital while guiding the press launch!!) and never damaged it.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The Kiox is mounted on the TT on my Trek, which works well but it still has a pointless remote. I could happily do without it and use something like the Specialized one or do it through an app.

The Gen 4 motor does have the ability to be wired through a sensor on the rotor (as I have this on mine) maybe worth exploring further, but I imagine it will be some sort of software adjust?

Having ridden one pre update it does make a small difference, should be done as part of the handover anyway.

The 25kph I find more of a hinderance on slightly downhill trails where you need to pedal at around that speed. But it’s not the end of the world for me. It’s fine everywhere else

julians
    Free Member

The 25kph I find more of a hinderance on slightly downhill trails where you need to pedal at around that speed. But it’s not the end of the world for me. It’s fine everywhere else

That’s exactly the scenario I’m thinking about, there are a few downhill’ish sections where (according to strava) the average speed is around 15mph and I’m pedalling like mad. Was wondering if an ebike might be annoying on those. Im sure it’ll be fine, will give it a go

doomanic

The Gen 4 motor does have the ability to be wired through a sensor on the rotor (as I have this on mine) maybe worth exploring further, but I imagine it will be some sort of software adjust?

It’s down to the frame design. The pick up sensor is bolted to the chainstay and isn’t easily moved.

robido

If your buying from a uk dealer brakes should be uk spec. I was told by my lbs it’s illegal for a shop to sell a bike set to Euro spec

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Orbea wild fs /bosch gen 4 motor q’s’ is closed to new replies.