Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Orange switch 7
  • StuE
    Free Member
    sharkattack

I don’t get it. It’s the same price as e-bike but it’s human powered.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, all those people who want UK manufacturing – that’s literally the price you pay 🙂

Bike looks great though. I’d have one if I could afford one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bloody hell, comments on that article…!

chiefgrooveguru

There’s something about Orange that brings out the absolute worst on Pinkbike.

I really like the look of this and would love one if I had some proper gnarly terrain (and probably more skills!) I think it’s a really creative way to add a linkage without losing the essence of modern Oranges (surprisingly light frames that aren’t too bendy or too harsh – and great geometry with straight seat tubes for big droppers).

poah
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the comments.

Anyone see how the linkage works. Can’t quite make it out

stevedoc
    Free Member

Looks great ….

BUT and this coming from an orange fan

Big Orange selling point maintenance single pivot
    The new link looks a pain in the arse to service

Only 5 years bearing warranty .. almost not expecting the frame to last or owner to keep it.

Cost ?

greyspoke
    Free Member

The pics just about show how the linkage works I think. There is a vertical link attached at the top to the frame, and at the bottom to the shock. Then a little horizontal link, a bit hidden inside the front of the swingarm, connects the swingarm (that bolt you can see half way up the front bit of the swingarm) to that link. There is very high leverage and forces on the horizontal link, but the vertical link increases the movement again and reduces the forces at the shock.

The use of a linkage has allowed them to put the main pivot farther back than on simpler Oranges I think, which ought to reduce pedal kickback (as well as making the pivot point lower, which they say they have).

chrismac

I bet the break Jack odd still horrendous to the point where you might as well be on a hard tail. Mine was horrific as soon as you touched the back brake

zerocool

Don’t spend so much time on the back brake then.

I loved my 2012 Alpine 160. Was sorry to see it go after 8 years of hard use.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I hope they didn’t compromise too much to maintain the silhouette

mildred

I think all the stuff written about brake Jack is utter bobbins on any Orange in the past 10 years or even more.

It may be my understanding of the phrase brake “Jack” – quite a few older single pivot bikes would “Jack up”, i.e. the rear suspension would extend or rise under hard braking, pushing your weight further forward, and making them feel quite nervy etc. Modern Orange bikes (those I’ve ridden) just don’t do this – they definitely stiffen under braking (this actually virtually disappears if you lose your chain, hence Orange moving pivot points, experimenting with idlers etc. for years).

I love Orange, despite me currently not owning one, and find them to have some of the best geometry of any bike. I’ve always enjoyed the feedback and the way you can use the single pivot to use the terrain to make speed; they seem particularly responsive to pumping and “boosting” over trail obstacles, roots, jumps & bumps etc. get the braking done nice and early then concentrating on line choice through whatever trail feature has had you braking.

Other than the price, which I can no longer afford, I love em.

sharkattack

I think all the stuff written about brake Jack is utter bobbins on any Orange in the past 10 years or even more.

I’m not sure what brake jack exactly is but on an Orange the rear axle is the only pivot on the rear end of the bike. When you compress the suspension the swingarm rotates around the hub. When you apply the brake (which is attached to the swingarm) the hub can’t rotate and the suspension can’t compress as easily, so you don’t have active suspension while you’re on the brakes.

That’s something you can feel when you ride them whether you believe in it or not. They feel much better off the brakes and plenty of people go very fast on them so it’s more of an issue for mincers who might not even know it’s happening.

chakaping
    Free Member

Only 5 years bearing warranty

Isn’t a bearing warranty a bit of a gimmick (a la Santa Cruz).

Bearings are cheap enough, fitting them (not covered by warranty) is the PITA.

And I do my Oranges’ bearings every 18 months or so. It’s easy with just two to deal with, obvs.

niceandy
    Free Member

I’d be interested to try this, but can’t see I’d ever buy one, due to the price increases, added complexity and how much filth it will capture.

They’re trying new stuff which is great. Some will love more suspension progression as it will allow more flexibility in shock choice (including coils) and happy to accept the compromise of more complexity. Some folk will prefer the standard single pivot design and not be as bothered about the progression. So long as Orange keep both options they will cater for all.

Also don’t underestimate the effect of having space for a proper bottle in the front triangle!

Northwind

Low maintenance was always bollocks, frankly. I mean sure some bikes have really high maintenance- badly sealed bearings or bushings mostly- but it only costs a few more quid and takes a little bit longer to do my multi pivot bikes than it does my single. It’s absolutely trivial in the overall scheme. And absolutely not worth thinking about with an expensive bike. You’d have to be an utter plank to choose a worse performing suspension design purely because it saves £10 and half an hour a few times over the frame’s life.

Of course that’s not to say you’ll consider the suspension to work worse. That’s the important bit. My 224 Evo’s suspension is basic, the shock curve is pretty much disastrous and the whole thing’s very affected by braking. But I still love it. It’s as clever as a log and therefore ideal to build a battering ram out of.

mildred

People use the term wrongly, it’s not really brake jack, just “brake and suspension interaction”. I think pretty much anyone can jump on an Orange single pivot and feel this, but not necessarily know exactly what’s happening, just that something is… and most people don’t have the technical language and have seen other people call it brake jack so they repeat it.

Doesn’t make it any less real of course.

Kamakazie

Great to see Orange trying this out whilst keeping their iconic style. Will be interesting to see how the factory team gets on with them.

The Stage 6 I tested a few years ago was great fun. Probably the most engaging of all those I tested and they’ll definitely be on the short list next time.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.