Home Forums Bike Forum Orange Stage Evo

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Orange Stage Evo
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

Reviews seem to be very thin on the ground for the Stage Evo. I think I’ll be getting a frame to build up near Christmas (my first Orange), but wanted to see some more tests etc.

Anyone here ridden one or actually seen one out and about yet? The other options was the Stage 5 as they’re a little bit cheaper due to being discontinued.

I’ll be replacing my Slash which is great apart from the seat tube being too tall. The large in these Orange are quite close to my XL Slash too, and for the first time ever I’ll be able to go bigger than a 150mm dropper!

chakaping

Seen one in the wild, but that’s not much help I know.

I’ve got a Stage 4 and a Stage 6 and the Evo is pretty much exactly how I would have tweaked the S4 to make my perfect trail bike.

Have you ridden any of the modern Oranges? They are very fast, taut and responsive feeling – not plush. There are drawbacks to the single-pivot, but they are so much fun, addictive and rewarding to ride.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Cheers @chakaping

I’ve read a lot of your thoughts on your Orange bikes and they sound like a bike I’d get along with.

I’d consider myself quite an active rider (always hopping and popping off stuff), but I’ve never ridden any of the Orange bikes!

I don’t do a lot of uplift days (maybe once every 2 years or so!). Most of my riding is natural Lakes/Peaks, Rivington and a bit of trail centre to break it up. The Stage Evo sounds perfect for me to be honest.

Had a quick look but there’s not many demos available around the north west.

chakaping

I’ve read a lot of your thoughts on your Orange bikes

Ha, I probably shouldn’t go on about them so much.

Orange might be able to ship a demo bike out to your local dealer? I know they’ve done that for people before.

Depending how rugged the stuff you ride in Lakes/Peaks is, the S5 might be the better choice as an all-rounder.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Not at all, it’s very helpful!

As an idea, I’ve ridden my previous Spark RC down Jacobs Ladder at a decent pace and Slash/Hightower around Grizedale off-piste stuff.

It’s fairly chunky stuff really, but despite my girth, I’m not a heavy smasher 🙂

Would you say the Stage 5 is decent for the more tame stuff too? I tend to go on decent sized rides with a bit of everything. The Slash has been surprisingly goods at this for a bigger bike, but I wouldn’t want to go any bigger.

chakaping

I have only had a very quick go on the original S5, it was very perky – but I can say I happily do long rides on my S6 and it’s still good fun at trail centres (compared to most enduro bikes at least).

I ride the off-piste stuff at Grizedale a fair bit and I’d choose the S5 over the Evo for that personally. The Oranges all ride like they have a bit less travel than they do, IMO.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Cheers for the info, it sounds like they’d be right up my street. Considering how often I’ve changed bikes, it’s criminal that I’ve never had an Orange 🙂

chestrockwell

I swapped my Segment for a 2020 Stage 5. It’s great, a true all-rounder and sounds perfect for what you want to do. The Segment was similar to the Evo and was also a lovely bike and very nimble. I upped the fork travel on mine though, the sweet spot was 140mm IMO. Rear was fine but I was always hitting max travel (didn’t feel it bottom out but checking during the ride confirmed full compression) so the 5 might be better suited to you?

robj20
    Free Member

I’d love to try an orange bike but everytime I consider it I realise you can get a better carbon frame for the same or a bit more. Really puts me off.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Better is subjective though. Frame only are around 2k with a shock which I don’t think is bad for a UK hand made frame.

I’ve had my fair share of carbon, so I’ve no preference either way.

If the Stage 5 frames are still about when I buy, I will most likely go for one of those.

chakaping

you can get a better carbon frame

As the man says, how are they “better”?

Orange frames seem to be on par weight-wise with the more affordable carbon brands – and the more expensive ones are about £3.5k frame only.

And you get a five-year warranty on the frame.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.