• This topic has 16 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by LMT.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Orange Speedwork – front derailleur?
  • mcstumpy68
    Free Member

Hi, does anyone know if you can set up an Orange Speedwork with a 2x front derailleur? I’m eyeing up the frameset to build a “do it all type” bike and I’m assuming I can fit a band on front derailleur, but the bike builds for sale are all 1x so just wondering if that’s significant? Thanks

ads678

Technical info on the orange website says band on front mech.

https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/speedwork-s/2019

TedC

Other thing to consider is cables stops.

lecky94
    Free Member

Yes you can fit a front mech,there’s a cable stop on the back of the seat tube. I love mine ,I built it to replace my gravel bike, nice and light (23lbs)plus you can fit a specialized purgatory 2.3 up front and a maxxis crossmark 2 2.25 out back. I ended up going for a 70mm stem to stretch out the position.

mcstumpy68
    Free Member

Thanks, all.

mcstumpy68
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking it’s QR at the rear and thru axle on the fork?

lecky94
    Free Member

Yes it’s 135mm qr and 15mm front.

mcstumpy68
    Free Member

Thanks. Sorry, another question….

That spec page suggests 30.8mm seat post but that seems an odd size (to me anyway – I can see a lot of 30.9 seat posts online but not 30.8). Or is that just the clamp size, and the seat post is a smaller diameter?

lecky94
    Free Member

I used a 30.9 shim with a 27.2 post with no problems.

mcstumpy68
    Free Member

Ah thanks, that’s useful as I have a spare 27.2 post 😊

ads678

Orange website says 30.9 seat post.

mcstumpy68
    Free Member

So it is, gawd knows how brain translated that to 30.8 😕

mcstumpy68
    Free Member

Hi, me again. I now have the frame and maybe I should have researched this further. I can’t fathom how I’m going to route 3 different cables to the back of the bike.

The downtube has some in built cable guides underneath. Loooking at photos of 1x set up models of this bike, it looks as if both rear mech and rear brake outlets and cables route through these centrally sited guides. So I could do same with a front and rear mech cables, but where do I route the rear brake cable?

My road bike has the rear brake cable routed under the top tube, am I going have to bodge some cable guides and do the same on the speedwork?

Or should I just accept this is designed as a 1x frame and cut my losses, go down that route? Thanks

martinhutch

Can you piggyback two cables onto a single guide with a zip tie? Admittedly, it’s not the neatest solution (immediately wonders if someone makes a double clip for a guide).

mcstumpy68
    Free Member

Just looking for more pics….their rx9 gravel bike has a 2x set up, looks as if all 3 rear route down the underside of the down tube. Looks same as Speedwork frame with centrally mounted guides

mcstumpy68
    Free Member

I’d emailed sunset cycles about something else but mentioned the cable routing. A nice man gave me a call and we had a chat, it’s as per the rx9 with 3 cables routed under the down tube.

So a big thumbs up for sunset cycles (where I ordered frame from), I haven’t used them before but impressed so far.

LMT
    Free Member

Sorry to piggy back, has the speedwork got the screw in ports for mudguards? And what mudguards would suit? Still waiting for my bike to get to the lbs to try for size but as it will primary be used as a commuter really need mudguards…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Orange Speedwork – front derailleur?’ is closed to new replies.