Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Orange Five Pivot Bearings
  • Andy-W
    Free Member

Just fitted new pivot bearings to my Orange Five, now I have a nice creaking sound to do my head in

First time I have changed the bearing so followed the guide from Orange website

Did the copper grease on the inside of the bearing but i just left the outside of the bearing clean with no grease as it sits into the frame…should that have had a dab of grease on it and then cause the creaking sound ?

the bottom bracket and headset have both just been cleaned and re greased so its not from them

rear wheel and mech hanger are not to blame as they are all sorted to the normal five issues

just the pivot bearings and rear shock have been off the bike then back on

any ideas ??

Cheers

Andy

gusamc
    Free Member

does it creak when you’re not sitting on the saddle and are not pedalling ?

Andy-W
    Free Member

The saddle does creak so took that and the seat post of the bike for a little test ride and it still does it

And the rear shock that went back on without any grease in the bolts .

When I change the bearings in my hope hubs I always fit the new ones with grease all over the bearing so I guess the pivot ones can be done the same …

Andy-W
    Free Member

And if I’m just on the freewheeling and stood on the pedals and bounce up and down to get the shox and pivot working I don’t get the creak

Andy-W
    Free Member

I did type that in the style of a 4 year old

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d grease the shock bolts, and loctite is handy for getting rid of creaks.

Andy-W
    Free Member

All bolts have lock tight but I’m just going to strip it all and do it again
    Watch this space ….

molgrips
    Free Member

I mean loctite in the bearing seat not in the bolts.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Had an annoying freak on my Five last summer, greased and lubed everything and it still came back. Had the rear wheel rebuilt (hub and spokes replaced). Creak was still evident. Eventually found it to be the rear mech hanger. Removed the 2 little bolts that hold it on and put a dab of grease on the mating surface between hanger and
    Frame and applied a touch of locate to bolts. Been quiet for a year now!

Andy-W
    Free Member

cheers guys,

the rear mech hanger is always the first place I look when I get strange sounds and its always kept topped up with grease and loctite

refitted the pivot bearings with loctite .
    checked and re greased loads of bolts .
    I even took the pedals off and popped some fresh grease on…still the same

getting stressed

chainset off and refit and and at the same time took the chainring bolts out and put some fresh Loctite on….Bingo !!

So looks like it was the chainring bolts…a new one for me

and while all that was going on I stripped and fitted new bearing to the rear hope hub

bike feels like new again …even the seat stopped creaking

Ladybower in the morning it is then !

thanks again guys

Andy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five Pivot Bearings’ is closed to new replies.