Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)
  • Orange are going to sell a lot of Stage 5s
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Geometry looks spot on. It looks the nicest FS Orange yet. It will get rave reviews. 2017 will be when the media finally talk about sorted trail 29ers as established (and not a new fad). This bike will convert more British riders than ever to 29″ wheels. All my humble opinions of course!

scotroutes

It just looks like any other Orange FS to me.

transporter13
    Free Member

Looked at this earlier… I’d have one if it was more realistically priced

Wookster

I really like both the stage 5 and 6 but wish they we’re a touch longer in the reach.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Looks like most other recent oranges since the Alpine. Not a bad thing. And the sizing looks spot on for once unlike every other orange which always seem tiny.

But unlikely I’d ever afford one!

johnnystorm

I got all excited until I saw it was £5500. 😐

Hopefully cheaper variations are planned once early adopters are fleeced err, satisfied.

russyh
    Free Member

I suspect like every other orange you can buy it frame only. In which case it will be priced similarly to virtually every other FS frame about £1500-£1600. I would never buy a full build orange as they are too expensive and generally I would want to change things. I have a
    2017 Orange Five, purchased frame only. It is light years ahead of previous model fives. Rides like
    An absolute dream

andylc
    Free Member

For a moment there I thought Orange had made a bike that doesn’t look like a complete dog…

chiefgrooveguru

And the sizing looks spot on for once unlike every other orange which always seem tiny.

For the last few years Orange have been making some of the longest bikes on the market…

zippykona

I like it but I want a bottle mount.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was all excited about these until I saw the chainstay length a while ago, but I might have a demo on one anyway to see if I’m just being too fussy.

woodster

It’s interesting that they’re starting out with full builds and Hope are selling only full bikes.

I think these days with some shopping around you can build a bike with parts that suit you for less than many of the full builds, especially if you’re prepared to use a few choice used parts.

Looks like it’d be similar to my codeine with a slackset, but with more reach and slightly longer rear end which sounds ace, but I suspect a frame will be well out of my price range especially with an X2.

chestrockwell

Having owned a 5 29 I can tell you the Stage 5 and 6 will fly! Prefer the look of the 6 but think I will stick with my Segment as the longer travel 29ers are a hell of a lot of bike. The 5 29 was almost too much for me and I prefer the tighter rear on the Segment.

plecostomus
    Free Member

I’ve rode the stage 6, goes rather fast. It’s small though but then again i compare every bike now to my geometron which is a proper size!

Northwind

I think it’ll sell- the Five struggled because nobody really got it, in all honesty it was more a 29er Alpine. Which was AWESOME but at the time, massive 29ers weren’t really that big a thing. And then they switched it to the Alpine Five and that added even more confusion, with an added dose of “it’s just the old bike” to put people off. Shame, it was bloody brilliant.

But “2017 will be when the media finally talk about sorted trail 29ers as established (and not a new fad)”- I think that was about 2013. The only place they’re not totally established is the long travel gig and I reckon that’s 50% because of 650b nonsense drawing away that market for a while, and 50% because people just assume they know what they ride like, and don’t think they’ll be good at this:

I think the Stage 5’ll sell more but I’ve a feeling the 6 might turn out to be the best bike Orange have ever made.

tom.nash

It’s still £5500 for an aluminium single pivot which many will find hard to get their head around I think. Not saying it’s not awesome, I’ve not ridden it, but £5500 gets you a lot of carbon from boutique brands and that will be a challenge.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s still £5500 for an aluminium single pivot which many will find hard to get their head around I think. Not saying it’s not awesome, I’ve not ridden it, but £5500 gets you a lot of carbon from boutique brands and that will be a challenge.

I’m sure they’ll be doing other builds and frame-only options in due course.

Their full builds may not be great value still, but they have got a lot better in terms of what they are speccing on them. And it’s not unusual to see promotions that almost make them seem decent value.

survivor

Look nice. Shame these weren’t around six months ago when I got a segment. Lovely bike but could of been slightly slacker and longer. Orange aren’t overly generous with top tube length even in XL.

Segment travel, stage 5 head angle and stage 6 top tube would do me.

Olly
    Free Member

The new hydroformed tubes and split rear end look mint, but I think I’ll still prefer my middle ground old shape five29 anyway

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the stage 5 and it was great. Instantly confidence inspiring, didn’t have any adjusting time was happy to just hop on and let it go.
    will make a great all round bike that’ll take anything you can throw at it.

But as Tom says, pricing at present puts it inline with the likes of a Santa cruz hightower CC build. (would say some things on the orange are slightly better spec, but that’s personal preference). Considering there is probably 1k of difference in frame only cost, that’s quite a bit!

Kamakazie

Wish the Five and Stage 5 had the split swingarm like the Four.. looks much better.

The Five still looks better than in photos though so hopefully the same with the Stage 5.

gfrew88
    Free Member

That’s Tallboy/Hightower territory

rotten
    Free Member

Both look like they’ll be great bikes, but would like to see some bottle mounts. Even if it meant side entry cage and/or 500ml bottle only.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Owned a Five , Alpine Crush and now own a P7 and Alpine 5 29er

The alpine 5 has been the best by far and i will end up with a 6 at some point but frame only not bike ..not at 5.5k

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Having bought a tallboyLT the day they came out many many moons ago the stage 6 did have me quite excited. I’ll echo above though, for that money I’d stick with Santa Cruz. All very hypothetical, the LT does me fine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m sure they will sell a few in the UK, they still won’t get far past the channel though.

I think these days with some shopping around you can build a bike with parts that suit you for less than many of the full builds, especially if you’re prepared to use a few choice used parts.

We all love a good like for like comparison

J273
    Free Member

Do you think we will see a frame only option in the future?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Yes

Shackleton

I thought it looked very nice, had a quick browse of the Orange site and realized that frame only with a top end shock could well end up being in the region of 2k!

Big ouch!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I got all excited until I saw it was £5500

😯

russyh
    Free Member

I think £2000 with an x2 is pretty par for the course. You will no doubt be able to buy a frame with a slightly lower spec shock for £1600 like every other orange full suspension in the range. Sunset cycles will then chuck in a hope headset and customs colour option as always.

For comparison a Cotic Rocket is £1500 with an x-fusion shock. So the Orange is priced pretty fairly in comparison. That said I just can’t see why anyone would want to spend £5500 on the full build!

weeksy

When i consider that i bought a Whyte T130SX for less money than just the frame is going to cost, it makes me think “NO… that’s just not happening”.. I’m sure they’ll sell loads… but it certainly won’t be to me.

russyh
    Free Member

I sure they will. My point is the frame only options are pretty much on a track with most other smaller manufacturers. Given that orange are hand built in the uk, I think the pricing is pretty good when you consider they have to pay their staff UK rates. Comparing a frame only purchase to a discounted entry level Whyte is unfair. There are many bikes cheaper than your Whyte. Different people see value at different levels, which is fine and great that we have the variety.

robertgray05
    Free Member
    jruk
    Free Member

Just looks like a 5 with bigger wheels and an even bigger price tag. Sure the Range Rover / Breitling gang will love it.

buckster
    Free Member

^ 😆

ir_bandito
    Free Member

The fact that they’re being marketed as serious race bikes won’t hurt the sales figures either.
    They do both look good.
    I was trying to hunt down a 5-29 to replace my old 26″five but couldn’t find one for the right price (IE cheap) so got a Codeine instead.

v666ern
    Free Member

Renton to the forum

andyl
    Free Member

£5500! you could buy an e-bike for that 😉

Talking of which how much is their new e-bike going to cost?

AlexSimon

Nothing really tempting for me.
    I’m still waiting for a Bird 29er.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Orange are going to sell a lot of Stage 5s’ is closed to new replies.