Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Open Mapping
  • scotroutes

GPS threads regularly mention a variety of mapping options for Garmins. I’ve been using the maps from OpenFietsmap for a few years. They only update the UK section annually and the new version has just been published. Pretty good timing actually as I’d only recently made some changes via OpenStreetmap and they made it in

https://www.openfietsmap.nl/downloads/europe

13thfloormonk

Sorry, mild hijack, is it Openstreetmap I need to sign up to if (ultimately) I want Strava route planner to snap to routes that I know exist?

Ta

scotroutes

No idea I don’t use Strava for route planning. I don’t know how you’d “sign up to” OpenStreetmap either.

If Strava uses OSM data for its mapping then adding stuff to OSM will see it eventually appear there. That’s what I do with Komoot too. Komoot seem to update their base maps every couple of weeks.

StirlingCrispin

Cool.
    Scotroutes – how do you view these maps ?
    DO you use them on a Garmin ?

I use TalkyToaster and I assume any OSM changes will appear there fairly quickly.

scotroutes

I download mine to a Garmin and also use Basecamp on PC.

I think TT maps are updated monthly now.

phil5556

What’s the benefit of these over the standard Garmin maps?

And the same question for TT.

They’re all based off the same OSM data aren’t they?

13thfloormonk

Oh. My. Word.

I think I’ve just found my new obsession, updating Openstreetmap!

Super simple to do and you can import gpx traces from Strava so if you rode a trail that doesn’t show up e.g. in Strava route planner you can trace the bit you rode and add it as a trail etc.

I’ve also updated a few ‘footpaths’ to ‘paths’ in areas where Strava route planner won’t plot.

Remains to be seen how long it takes Strava to update it’s route planner though, some random on Reddit reckons every 4 years 😖😖

scotroutes

I think I’ve just found my new obsession, updating Openstreetmap!

Fabulous! It can be a bit laborious, but even editing older tracks to add surface/width etc. helps with some of the route planning applications.

13thfloormonk

Couldn’t have been worse timing, sounds like Strava (who in fairness, do a lot of additional processing to OSM data) only update once a year and have literally just updated in the last month 😭

Future generations of Auchterarder Gravelleurs will thank me at least 🙄

scotroutes

Komoot calls…

Plotaroute and Ridewithgps also update regularly.

slackboy

depends on which garmin model you have. the newer 530 has decently detailed basemaps anyway (and enough memory to hold the map files) The older 510/520 models had a really awful low rez base map and replacing that with openstreetmap version made a huge difference.

the only downside was there was only 90mb freespace on the 510/520 models so you could only have *some* of the country loaded at the same time.

13thfloormonk

Komoot calls…

Will Komoot play dumb and let you plot your own route point to point? I’d also miss the Strava heatmap…

matt_outandabout

Will Komoot play dumb and let you plot your own route point to point?

Yes, you can drag the route to where you want and switch off the ‘snap to’ tool.

winerwalker

I think TT merges OSM with other stuff to create his own special flavour. And GB maps are weekly, but then outdoors features rarely change that quickly.

properbikeco
    Free Member

you can get a strava heatmap layer and then map on top of this, ideal for wooded trails or mountain routes

StirlingCrispin

hey’re all based off the same OSM data aren’t they?

Yes and No.

I bought my Edge three years ago and at that point the base map was at least four years out of date.
    The Garmin basemap was missing forestry roads through the Ochils that were key for navigating.

OS only put them on their maps when I pestered them – and they’ve still not made the paper map.

Currently windfarm tracks in the Touch Hills are a similar problem.

So – speed of updating is an issue.

leffeboy

They are but they are often styled according to how you will use them and which paths you want.  They sometimes play with the data to affect how you are routed. You can even do it yourself if you really want to using a program called mkgmap, so if you were touring and wanted to highlight something like public water points you could or cobbled streets so you could do your Paris Roubaix practice.  In reality it’s quite a lot of work though given that there are so many good versions online.   I quite like openmtbmap at the moment.

13thfloormonk

cobbled streets so you could do your Paris Roubaix practice

Oh no, tell me this isn’t a feature on OSM? My new obsession with updating OSM combined with my fetish for cobbles, it would become a life’s work! 😎

leffeboy

Cobbles are one of those features that can be a bit variable in the tagging depending on the country and who has been doing it

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:surface%3Dcobblestone

With these sorts of things i usually check if there is any regional best practice along with taking a look at how they are tagged on well known sections.

Got to love cobbles though. There are so many types with massive differences in how rideable they are

cookeaa

I’ve found Basecamp and letting it pull in the loaded maps from your device to work well (the stock maps are not great.
    I’ve imported various downloaded routes, and routes plotted in Komoot and other stuff and then editted into a decent route for upload.

But I’m about to embark on a little experiment with a Lezyne GPS which apparently does mapping and routes differently with their suite of apps/route planning website, I’m guessing I can still use Basecamp to generate routes for a Lezyne device…

scotroutes

I’m guessing I can still use Basecamp to generate routes for a Lezyne device…

Theres always a bit of a risk moving from one map to another when creating Routes, but if you save it as a Track then it should work fine.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.