Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Online slow strategy games
  • nixie

Looking for recommendations for an online multiplayer strategy game to play. I’m thinking something risk like where games end up taking weeks or more to complete and turns happen every few days (depending on how long each player takes). I used to play on the little known artofwar.cc but the owner sadly pulled the plug a while back. This was risk like but with much better maps and significantly more involved game play (the learning curve was steep!). What would stw suggest?

drew27
    Free Member

Chess?

It’s gone a bit quiet on the STW chess thread (I think, it’s been a while since I’ve looked to be fair) but it might fit the bill. Daily (aka correspondence) chess gives players anywhere from 24 hours to make a move to up 14 days depending on the game time you pick. Lots to learn, loads of content on YouTube plus you can play it over a board!

ta11pau1

Civilization 6.

/End thread.

mattyfez

I was going to suggest civ 6…or basically any similar game as it’s turn based rather than RTS (real time strategy). But a lot of RTS games will let you slow time down so it’s not as brutal.

I’m not sure how it would work playing real opponents though rather than AI opponents, if you want to just make one move every day or two, a game could take months.

nixie

Chess never captured by attention though maybe I should try again with that

Turn based rather than RTS is what I mean. Never played civ6 but did play 1&2 extensively.

1 turn a day would be worst case. The game I mentioned above could end up with 3 or 4 per day if all players were on it, but if you were busy you had 24hrs to make your play. Yes months per game happened frequently. Normally had 5 -10 games on the go at once.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I play a lot of 3 day chess. Some of it in a small team (vote chess).

Vote chess is the slowest because it’s configured so that each move takes a full 3 days. But we’ve still finished a few games! Normal games are generally much quicker as you don’t have to wait but can move immediately.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Maybe have a look at Total War games.

wheeliedirty
    Free Member

Never played civ6 but did play 1&2 extensively.

Then you might want to download freeciv

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Have a look at the x-com series of games.
    Turn based strategy excellence.
    Spent many months playing UFO Enemy Unknown in single player.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

nixie – let me know what you choose. I might be up for some rivalry / team play if you want. It has to be better than the nine parallel games of scrabble I played last night

nixie

Will do Nick.

Had a go at freeciv last night on my phone. Don’t think that will work as it’s just too small. Will try it on the tablet instead. Interestingly there is a long game version.

Xcom, that’s another blast for the past.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Xcom2 is on steam for around £6 if you have a pc.
    I’ve got it on an iPad and it works surprisingly well with the touch screen

33tango

Paradox Interactive might have a few titles that are interesting?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.