Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • OneUp 10-45t Cassette
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

Hopefully this hasn’t been done already. 10-45t OneUp Cassette Shimano hub, Yes please!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/spotted-oneup-prototypes-crankworx-whistler-2015.html

z1ppy

had heard they were doing a 45t cassette (actually I heard it as an extender) but not the 10 bit.. interesting, especially on a ‘normal’ hub. Though the price will define how interesting it is..

dirtyrider
    Free Member

The top three cogs will be aluminum and replacement parts will be available separately

I’m quite happy with the 42t on my XX1 cassette being aluminium, as it doesn’t get used a great deal,

would you really want 3 aluminium cogs? best get acquainted with their spares department

woodster

Looks good and I can’t imagine it seeming too pricey now that expensive cassettes seem to be the norm.

Hope’s new cassette looks like it’s pretty much sorted now too 10-44 11 speed and pretty light too.
    http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/hope-2016-orange-first-look-331529

AS ABOVE, It will be interesting to see how having 3 alu cogs affects life span.

Obviously this all happens as I make the switch to XD. Doh.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Presumably a miss print somewhere? They’re using another manufacturers smaller cogs in the prototype, so presumably that means the smallest is an 11t? I presumed the 45t was to give about the same range as 10-42 as 11-45?

njee20
    Free Member

It does say 10, but I don’t get how that’s physically possible.

Apparently Shimano have been testing an 11-46 (IIRC), was on BikeRumor.

cookeaa

It does say 10, but I don’t get how that’s physically possible.

That was my first thought.
    Perhaps they’re doing something very clever with the lockring or doubling the 10t up with the next sprocket to accommodate less material at the Base of the teeth?

Where the there’s a will there’s a way…

nickjb
    Free Member

Can’t see an issue with the aluminium rings. Those big ones are similar if not bigger than chainrings and they do alright in aluminium. 10T would be interesting if it’s right. Be nice to make a 10 speed too rather than needing to bodge an xt (assuming the price is good).

paule
    Free Member

It could be a lockring/10t combo, like the old 7-8speed conversions (with an 11t lockring) from the 90s?

njee20
    Free Member

But that would have to be offset to the right of the freehub body, in a space often occupied by the frame! The 11t combo ones work because the circumference is large enough.

cookeaa

Could be staggered to the left with the spacing machined into sprocket #2. I think it more likely that sprockets #1 and #2 (possibly #3 also) are machined from the same lump allowing #1 to have minimum/no direct spline interface, relying instead on the next sprocket up.

The image shows a nice green lockring and what looks like a steel sprocket making me think they haven’t gone for that way…

Or it’s just a typo and it’s only 11-45.

njee20
    Free Member

But a 10 physically won’t fit over an M10 freehub body. So either a 10 must sit outboard of the freehub body altogether, or the freehub body has to be machined to accommodate it, which rather undermines the “no new freehub body needed” thing! As they’re using a conventional lock ring seems safe to assume that’s not what’s going on.

cookeaa

Well it’s not necessarily a conventional “ring” as such it’s just the tooth form they need to create it they probably have had to get a bit “creative” with the geometry of it…

simondbarnes

It doesn’t look like a 10 in the pic.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

from pink bike comments

kimbers

Could they be using a slightly offset rad cage?

ThePinkster

The spacing between some of those yellow dots doesn’t look very equidistant, especially over the chainstay region. I reckon it’d be 11 teeth if spaced evenly.

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed, doesn’t quite look right. We shall see I guess!

P20

The lock rings looks to be fouling the base of the teeth in that photo too

nickjb
    Free Member

Another ‘standard’, I’m out.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Another ‘standard’, I’m out.

Grrr…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Wow I’m out as well

cookeaa

Shame, TBH shove the 45t on the top of an M8000 or GX cassette and they’ve probably got a good, viable product much like their previous 10 speed extenders…

Seems like they’re looking to broaden their market / products a bit but this one might just be overreaching right now… Hope essentially developed the same thing a few years ago and never took it to market, probably because it was never going to sell enough to be worthwhile…

njee20
    Free Member

Shimano have been testing an 11-46 according to BikeRumor.

roverpig

Shame, TBH shove the 45t on the top of an M8000 or GX cassette and they’ve probably got a good, viable product much like their previous 10 speed extenders…

They already have that product. This is presumably another option for those that want even more range.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Is it a race to 50?

I’m still happy with the xx1 I’ve been running for ooh 3 years now nearly without bodging or stretching mechs etc, light as well, which the others lack

honeybadgerx

I fitted a 45t expander the other day when converting to 1 x 11, and it’s great. Super smooth shimano shifting and gives a really good range for long days out in the mountains.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Seems like they’re looking to broaden their market

probably looking at how successful Praxis have been with their full 10 speed cassette – however theirs was for a Shimano free hub, hence the success,

not sure what another 10t compatible non XD driver brings to the market, apart from not having to pay to license it

njee20
    Free Member

I’m still happy with the xx1 I’ve been running for ooh 3 years now nearly without bodging or stretching mechs etc, light as well, which the others lack

This and:

not sure what another 10t compatible non XD driver brings to the market, apart from not having to pay to license it

This.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘OneUp 10-45t Cassette’ is closed to new replies.