Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • One week in Wales…. Itinerary help
  • alpin
    Free Member

As of Thursday the GF and I were due to be riding for 10 days in Slovenia. However, my incredibly selfish mother has leukaemia, meaning I’m in the UK looking after her 😕

Slovenia is going to have to wait.

Fortunately mum is responding well and I took her up London for her next bout of chemo.
    Thanks to family stepping in I’ve got time next week with the GF and we’re planning on going to Wales for a bit of R&R.

We want riding, a few secluded beache and remote hills and landscapes. We have my van so accommodation is sorted.

Back in September last year I had five days in Wales. Visited Alan, Elan Valley (beautiful), Nant yr Arian and rode up Snowdon.

Don’t mind the driving and wouldn’t mind visiting a few other trail centres. Any thing to recommend?

Any decent, quiet beaches?

Any decent single track riding to be found in Elan Valley?

I know there is a voluntary ban on riding Snowdon, but are there any other big peak riding that doesn’t involve too much of a carry (GF doesn’t do bike carrying) with a decent, worthwhile decent?

Any pointers greatly appreciated….!

Thanks

mccraque

Not a week, admittedly but we just stayed in Aberdovey which is a great little village with a beach (although there were a few jellyfish washed up on one of the days). Just up the road you’ve got Snowdon, Aberystwyth, Borth and Barmouth. Nant Yr Arian, Coed Y Brenin, Climachx and LLandegla a little further.

Would’ve liked to have spent a lot longer there and done some more natural / xc sightseeing rides too.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

The Snowdon ban is only between 10am and 5pm so you could push up just before 5pm and then ride down after 5pm – makes a lovely late afternoon / evening ride if the weather is right!

You could base yourself on the Llyn (beautiful beaches) and ride big peaks of Snowdon and Cadair Idris and then hit the trails of Gwydyr Forest (Marin / Penmachno), CyB and Dyfi (Climachx)

martinhutch

big peak riding that doesn’t involve too much of a carry

Cadair Idris.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvjfvC06ZO0[/video]

Coed y Brenin is always worth a visit if you haven’t been.

I’m in the same position as you – next week is a Wales trip, and I’m eyeing up Lyn Colwyd loop, although that looks quite techy in places (Wonderful scenery though) and perhaps something in the Clwyds. Any recommendations from others very welcome!

This

North Wales MTB Routes

may help you out.

jekkyl

if you’ve done some of Wales before why not somewhere else entirely?

Sandwich

Mate of mine runs this place in mid-Wales. He’s keen on outdoors stuff though currently laid up.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Was going to suggest Aberdyfi beach. Go round the corner a couple of hundred yards from the main tourist bit and you will have 5 miles of beautiful sand all to yourselves, sheltered by dunes that back on to the golf course. Can walk/run/ride to Tywyn if you fancy.

Rhayader has a decent loop. Might be able to provide a GPX but nav is a bit vague in parts. When are you visiting? Might be able to hook up, get in touch with Clive Powell Bike Shop, they might be able to take you round.

NanT Yr Arian not far away is not a bod trail centre. Likewise Coed y Brenin, if you want a bit of waymarked fun.

chrismac

We did something similar at Easter. A mix pf trail centre and natural. Our route was Llandeglla, Betws-y-coed, Dolgellau, Long Mynd

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘One week in Wales…. Itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.