Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • One of those 'please recommend me a bike' threads
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Hi all,

I had a little crash recently. Nothing major, just broke my clavicle and fractured a few vertibrae. I live to ride again.

However it’s been strongly recommended that I give up riding a hard tail. I have a Ragley Titanium (of which I have previously waxed lyrical about on here) that I bought in January. It’s now for sale, but what I need, other than offers for the Ragges, is suggestions for a light weight, 4″ travel slacked out trail bike.

The Orange ST4 is one choice. What would be others?

Gotama
    Free Member

Transition Bandit

freeridenick
    Free Member

Northern Monkeys are dangerous 😉

What about one of those new ragleys 10-4 ? with 4inch out the back
    transition double – would be my weapon of choice when I get to old for my Kobe!

wors

what size is the ti?

I’d say st4

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

This is a bike forum? No way?

But seriously I don’t suppose you’ll get many answers on a mountain bike question lol.

My first answer is any FS but then I got thinking and wondered how the logic works and who exactly said no hardtail? Most docs wouldn’t know the difference or understand the difference unless they actually rode mtb’s and understand the difference. I am asking because it if it was me I would push back and get a few more opinions from other professionals who know their cycling . Maybe your guy does. Sorry if he does .

Sorry mate, just seems an odd thing. They could be right just I would double or triple check. Maybe you already did?

sambob
    Free Member

How about a custom frame from 18 bikes? That’d give you geometry you want, as well as being completely unique. Or swap my FSR XC frame for your Ragley, that’d work too… 😉

Northwind

Was very underwhelmed with the ST4 myself, couldn’t see much point to it compared to the Five- doesn’t climb much better, but deals with rough stuff much worse. But ymmv.

Blur 4X? Not light…

honourablegeorge

ti_pin_man – Member
    This is a bike forum? No way?

But seriously I don’t suppose you’ll get many answers on a mountain bike question lol.

My first answer is any FS but then I got thinking and wondered how the logic works and who exactly said no hardtail? Most docs wouldn’t know the difference or understand the difference unless they actually rode mtb’d and understand the difference. I am asking because it seems a bit extreme for a broken collar bone to recommend a type of bike? And if it was me I would push back and stick with it until I got more body of opinion from proffessionals who know their cycling .

Sorry mate, just seems an odd thing.

“fractured vertebrae” is probably the clue you’re looking for here.

z1ppy

Pivot Mach 4 or the slacker M4X
    2012 Scott Spark
    Giant TranceX

headfirst
    Free Member

“fractured vertebrae” is probably the clue you’re looking for here.

Indeed, as someone who has done the same, it wasn’t long after I was back on the bike that I decided FS was the way to go, as my back was starting to ache like buggery well before my legs started to get tired on the hardtail. The full suss brought pleasure back to my rides, finishing with a smile on my face again rather than a grimace.

I’ve got a Spesh Stumpy FSR for what it’s worth.

geetee1972
    Free Member

All good points, well made and gratefully received. It’s a bit of a convoluted explanation but I’ve a very good friend who is a bike rider and radiographer. He managed to look at my scans and was the one suggesting that the hardtail ‘might’ not be such a good idea. He was very keen to underline the word ‘might’ and said I should try it and see. I’ve also had advice from an osteopath who said that the jarring and vibration of a hardtail could cause cumulative damage that gives me problems later in life. None of this is certain, it’s all speculative, but given that i’ve got a few years left in me and a young family I feel more inclined to circumspection rather than circumcision (metaphorically speaking). Oh and a new bike opportunity should never be sniffed at.

Ragley Ti is 16″ BTW. Totally unmarked and comes with receipts etc.

5lab

banshee wildcard is slack long, low and short travel

metalheart
    Free Member

There’s the Mythic/Banshee Spitfire.

It’s plenty slack, although a little longer in the bounce I think.

Never tried one but it seemed well received on mtbr, no?

sambob
    Free Member

Epic Evo is another possibility, very nice bike.

kilo

Get a Nicolai – didn’t read the whole thread but some bloke was raving about them on here yesterday 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

Get a Nicolai – didn’t read the whole thread but some bloke was raving about them on here yesterday

Yeah I just read that thread and it’s a bit of a shame really. Doesn’t change my opinion but I can see where both sides are coming from.

The Nic is on the shortlist.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Fair do’s fella… I was just asking cos medical staff I have had advice from over the years don’t really know what mountain biking is and play the safe risk card. Usually over safe lol.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Fair do’s fella… I was just asking cos medical staff I have had advice from over the years don’t really know what mountain biking is and play the safe risk card. Usually over safe lol.

It’s true!

richmtb

SC Superlight with 120mm forks?

Or by a Blur LT and just pretend its 4 inch travel!

(I might be a Santa Cruz fanboy though!)

Bunnyhop

Get well soon GT.
    I have a Turner Flux (not slacked at the mo.) which I love. It’s a bit on the very small side for you to try when you’re next ooop North.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

What size is the Ragley Ti?

vancoughcough
    Free Member

oops 16.. just caught up

Love my Ragley.

jamiec360
    Free Member

Whyte T120 like mine. Good deals on the 2011s if you can still find them. Light and very active with good kit for the money and nice slack head angle but not as short as a stumpy.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘One of those 'please recommend me a bike' threads’ is closed to new replies.